Overclocking with Crucial Ballistix memory

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by mrcrangle, Oct 6, 2005.

1. mrcrangle

mrcrangle Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 320MB(stock)
    Hi forum,

Anybody had problems overclocking Crucial Ballistix LED RAM?

Have been on an upgrade splurge recently, and decided to go some flash new memory to go with my overclocked DFI Lanparty UT nf3 250gb system (see system information on right). This has worked superbly oveclocked to 230mhz fsb and 500core/515mem gpu. The system died when I fitted the new memory (not even getting to the boot screen) but when I tried the mem in mny number 2 system (whcih isn't overclocked) did it worked. I then declocked the main system to the defaults and the memory works fine....but o/c the fsb and it dies again!

I would be grateful for any suggestions to help me add to the light show that is my main system!

Cheers

2. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    u talking about that tracer stuff?

3. mrcrangle

mrcrangle Master Guru

GPU:
    Yup! Looks v. flash...but somehow it doesn't want to overclock. This seems odd, given that it is specifically marketed to modders by Crucial :(

4. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    Crucial Ballsitix can overclock well... I know the 1 GB modules are the best out there for instance, will do upwards of 300 MHz while most others crap out around 250 MHz. I don't think their 512 MB modules are quite the star performers since they have to compete with the likes of TCCD, but they should still do decently.

Raise the voltage, change the timings to 8-4-4-3, and see if that helps. I don't think Ballistix can get too far on low timings... really no memory does except winbond and only with 3.5 volts or something.

I know a user here with a DFI nforce 4 SLI lanparty board had to change BIOSes when he got ballistix.... could also be more DFI twichiness we all know and love.

5. mrcrangle

mrcrangle Master Guru

GPU:
    Cheers GL...DFI BIOS flashes aren't something for the fainthearted but I will give it a go tomorrow and post the outcome.:)

6. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Well you would have to *find* the right one first, though it wouldn't hurt to try the most recent either... I'd say try www.dfi-street.com and do a search with ballistix as one of the search terms.

7. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    ive got ballisitx ram my self, the overclocked to 270 before my chipset maxed out..these arent the tracer tho. my mate had some tracer ram...512..it was terrible at overclocking would be unstable at 260, 10 more than stock

8. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    It may be Ballistix is just good for something in the 260-270 range, which may well be why they stop at PC4000 speeds. TCCD PC4800 will do terrible as well I'm sure as it is 300 MHz stock and won't get much further, whereas TCCD PC3200 will do great, as it is only 200 MHz stock and will OC to that same 300 MHz, or very close anyway.

Whether it is tracer or not is totally irrelevant though I'm sure, almost certainly the same chips either way.

9. Kenshai

Kenshai Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 9800XT / 479/790
    nah mate, it wouldnt even run at 250.

10. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    So what's your point?
    PC4800 is terrible because it works at 300MHz, while PC3200 is great because it gets close to 300MHz? Where's the logic in that?

11. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Basically that your PC3200 and his PC4000 probably are basically just the same thing, same chips, etc... they will tend to have the same upper limits. Though I re-read and see that his wasn't even stable at 260, and you may well have been able to do more than 270, so you may be right that his wasn't nearly as good.

12. mrcrangle

mrcrangle Master Guru

GPU:
    argh. I am a numpty. I ran CPU-Z to check the system generally and it returned some interesting information about the modules; namely that they appear to be of "unknown" manufacturer and made in week 255 of year 255! This looks, then, like a hardware issue with the modules themselves; I am going to raise it directly with Crucial. Will let you know how I g

13. mrcrangle

mrcrangle Master Guru

GPU:
    ..get on. Sorry, overzealous keyboard use:p

14. mrcrangle

mrcrangle Master Guru

GPU:
    The new dimms have arrived but the same problems that I had dismissed as hardware issues - manufacturer and frequency details in CPU-Z and 3d mark 05 - persist, though these modules seem to overclock ok. Argh. Maybe there's an incomptability issue with my kit (see right) but whilst Crucial's technical support has been superb, I can't recommend their product, for obvious reasons! Any ideas gratefully received; otherwise it looks like a refund and some more expensive Corsair led RAM for my case!:D

15. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    I have a friend with ballistix and he is really disappointed..not with the overclock but the fact he has had to RMA them twice in the last year.

16. vexed_uk

vexed_uk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7800GT 510/1200
    are these the "Tracer" models? your mate had a problem with?

17. mrcrangle

mrcrangle Master Guru

GPU:
    argh! Not promising...still, I await their reply to may e-mail. Will post the outcome...

18. mrcrangle

mrcrangle Master Guru

GPU:
    Still no joy...machine won't boot if fsb is set higher than 220mhz and unstable even then. Crucial have sent me another RMA and the modules have gone back (another £5.00 on special delivery fees!). Have ordered some Cosair XMS pro in riposte!

Incidentally, am currently running the machine on 512MB of bog standard memory cribbed from my number 2 pc, and it will clock far higher than the Ballistix did. It also returns a 3dmark05 score of only 17 points less than twice the volume of supposedly better memory! Grrrrrr..

19. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    That would b me!

And yeah, mine wouldnt even boot when i first got it! I had the bios on from my 2x512mb OCZ VX, basically DFI bios's are extremely touchy about which memory u use with them. Different bios's will work better with different types of memory. Ask around in the Xtreme Systems forums, and see what ppl are using on you board with ballistix.

Since i sorted the bios it, the memory has been fantastic for 2x1gb sticks!

20. mrcrangle

mrcrangle Master Guru

GPU:
    The end of the story(!)

The Corsair memory arrived and works fine (see increased benchmarking scores on sig). I preferred the look of the Ballistix though, and reckon at the top end it would outperform the Corsair, so have copped out really, and gone for stability over potential! The LEDs add a certain je ne sais quoi to the case :) Flashed the BIOS for good measure, Mike, and encountered DFI quirkiness in abundance; have started another thread on this!

Thank you for all your advice, gurus.:D