Overclocking Today: How long does it take?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Size_Mick, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Back when I got my first Pentium machine I learned about overclocking. Back then the only things you could really change were the FSB, multiplier and CPU voltages. Cooling with something besides air was almost unheard of. Most everything was done with jumpers and DIP switches. I could have my CPU overclocked and tuned in just a couple of short hours (not counting burn-in). Once I was prevented from OCing to a CPU's max potential because it made the ISA bus run too fast for my dial-up modem to work properly.

Today I go into a BIOS menu and I'm floored at the number of tweaks that can be done to the CPU, the RAM, and the various buses. That's in addition to the fact that video cards are also now loaded with tweak options. Looking at all of that, I find myself discouraged at even trying to overclock, since the number of variables has risen so dramatically, it seems to me it could take months to figure out the best overclock tweaks for a specific build.

I am just wondering if people who are into overclocking would share their experiences with me at tell me how long it took, what common problems you've encountered, and how the various overclocks affect the others (OCing your CPU leads to not being able to OC something else as well, or vice-versa?). I still buy hardware that is noted for being great for OC, so I still have the ability to do so, but I haven't bothered because it seems like too much hassle for a little gain. Let me know how it's been for you.

2. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti AMP Ex Core
    What are the basics of your specs? Tuning can take days or weeks but a quick functional overclock can be done in 2 minutes.

I don't know much but I can help with a few basics depending on what your working with

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    You're better off reading a basic guide for your platform if you do not understand the terminology for bios options.

4. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    You know, I was just about to post a long winded explanation with examples of what I'm talking about, and when I was nearly finished I realized it had descended into a rant. So I think I'm just not going to overclock anything but the CPU bus and stay with that. I don't have the patience for anything else. Thanks for the help anyhow, guys.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 960M
    Basic ones I'd say are very easy to do, up your multi until it's unstable, up your voltage very little until stable, done. Now what gets time consuming, is reaching the high on your cpu. Not every CPU is the same, some take more voltage for example. Some don't take as much. Then you have to look at memory, your timings, you XMP profile, voltages, bridge voltages, temps, testing, that part gets time consuming.