overclocking slows me down!

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Ardil, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Ardil

Ardil Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG Tech 8800GTS OC
    Hi Guys,

Just got my 7800GT yesterday, installed her and got 6900 or something marks (3D Mark 05). Wanted to break 7000 so I overclocked my cpu to 2.54GHz by lowering both the HTT's to 800MHz each then raising the FSB (or whatever it is on an athlon 64 :p) to 221. This lowered my 3d mark to 6700! nooooooo... what's going on here? I'm running 4 256DDR 400 DIMMS and they overclock to about 240MHz easily unfortunately I have to run them on 2T because there is some weird thing on my motherboard which prevents me from running on 1T when all 4 DIMM slots are full :( bummer (or is that how it is whenever you run a mobo with all DIMM slots full???)

So with all that in mind would anyone have any idea as to why overclocking my CPU seems to reduce 3D performance???

Ooops, also my motherboard is an asRock 939-dual :

http://www.asrock.com.tw/product/product_939Dual-SATA2.htm

Merry xmas gurus

Last edited: Dec 24, 2005
  2. shodai

shodai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7950gt 550/1400 w/vf900
    Temps? Overclocking may cause your hardware to overheat and underclock to protect itself.

3. Ardil

Ardil Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG Tech 8800GTS OC
    Hmmmm, nope... not temps. I'm using an awesome huge akasa EVO 939 cooler, idle temps are 28 deg and under full load the CPU never breaks 36 degrees. Checked all the temps in the BIOS and with speedfan and mobo monitor... :)

4. m0bb

m0bb Member Guru

Overclocking your cpu won't do you much good in 3dmark05...If you wanna break 7k, oc your 7800gt

5. NVguy

NVguy Active Member

GPU:
    BFG NVIDIA GeForce 6800 128MB
    that's true...oc'ing your video card is better than overclocking your cpu

6. bbvdd2

bbvdd2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 960 WHITE SLI
    Sounds like you are getting memory errors or CPU throttling. CPU throtting can usually be turned off in BIOS. Memory errors may be reduced by lowering the RAM OC by running a divider or by adding voltage to make them stable. Find out what chips are on that RAM and you will know what voltages are safe to run.

7. Ardil

Ardil Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG Tech 8800GTS OC
    How would you turn off CPU throttling? what setting would that be in the BIOS? does it have a specific name?

Cheers

8. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Just Overclocl your GPU.
    You dont need a lot to get 100 points more cuase those 7800GT oc to 8000 if done well.