Overclocking PowerColor ATi X1950Pro 512Mb

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Hvitakristr, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Hvitakristr

Hvitakristr Member

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD 4850
    I tried to post this thread before, but our dog scared the hell out of the cat, so he tried to hide behind my computer that slowly went off of that. I hope that damned cat didn't kill my computer. Very well, how do I overclock a PowerColor ATi X1950Pro 512Mb (594:695,25)? I tried to overclock it through Catalyst with it's ATi Overdrive, and it said it were safe to use 621:796,50. That's an increase of 27:101,25. I ran 3DMark06, and were given an increase of over 100p, maybe 140p. However when I started Sid Meier's Civilization IV there were artefacts already in the Main Menu and after 4-6 seconds Windows Vista freezed. This was not a problem of overheat as the temperature only went from 39*c to 48*c, an increase of almost 10*c. Is it impossible to overclock this card, or what are your opinions?

2. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    I'd overclock both the core and memory separately, and use AtiTool's artifact detection option to test for artifacts after each time you raise the clocks. It's extremely sensitive to artifacts and will detect the ones you can't even see. Once you've found the highest stable clocks for the memory and core, back them off slightly and run the artifact tester for a good period of time, say an hour or so to make sure. :)

3. Hvitakristr

Hvitakristr Member

GPU:
    ATi Radeon HD 4850
    "Only X1950 Pro overclocking is not supported." :hit:

0.27 Beta 2 might work with X1950Pro, but it's not stable. Anyone knows if it's stable enough? And does it work well with Vista x64?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  4. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    The artifact tester should work even if it doesn't support overclocking, so maybe try using a different app for changing the clocks.