Overclocking=performance decrease?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by hunterking, Aug 15, 2004.

1. hunterking

hunterking Member

GPU:
    Ati/X800xl/256mb
    Whenever I try to overclock my videocard(5700nu) to a higher speed such as 475core 550 memory(425/500 def) using coolbits or rivatuner everything tests out ok with the built in test thing. Once I run 3dmark03 the max fps i will recieve is about 75 with a overclock in the plane test. On the default speeds I would get upwards of 300-350fps in the same test. Am I doing the oc procedure wrong or missing a setting? any input would be greatly appreciated

2. ntfx

ntfx Guest

when you overclock too much youll see a performance / frame rate decrease because your card is being overworked. lower the clocks till you find a good level of performance.

3. FNK

FNK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTR 480 XXX
    Restart between Each OC. For me it does a difference.. I don't know why!

4. Elanzer

Elanzer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 @ 325/580 (3.6ns hynix..)

5. hunterking

hunterking Member

GPU:
    Ati/X800xl/256mb
    Ok since this is definately the overclocking bug can I just flash the bios with one from a different manufacturer? Or can i not do this becuase asus does not follow the reference design?

6. Elanzer

Elanzer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 @ 325/580 (3.6ns hynix..)
    Sorry for the late reply, but on my asus FX5200 simply flashing another FX5200's bios did the trick, though EVERY bios labeled the card as a 5200LE for no apparent reason, though the performance was exactly the same, and I don't get the bug.