1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking NVidia 650M in MacBook Pro Problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Priost, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Priost

Priost New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GT650M
    Hello together,

I was reading a lot of posts around here but can´t find any solutions / answer to my problem.

I´m running a GeForce GT650M on my MacBook Pro. After some time spended to overclocking the card with nvidiainspector I was reaching a lvl of 2000MHz for the GDDR5 and 1050MHz Clock for the GPU. Some restrictions where stopping me here, so I used MSIAfterburner to get even higher with the Memory speed. At the end it turned out that the card runs well on 1100MHz clock speed with 2600MHz for the memory. Even 3 hour gaming Far Cry 3 with DX11, all on ultra except for Post FX and Anti Alaising the temperature is around 85°C.

Now to my problem:

My Macbook runs well on this settings as long as I don´t play on a external monitor. But if I connect one, to enjoy my games in Full HD, the GeForce is reducing the Core clock in some games. For example: In Far Cry 3 the clock speed is turned down to 775 MHz most of the time. Of course this causes shuttering problems. But why does this happen and how can I get rid of this thing? It seems like my 650 would be a child of the old 6x00 cards which had the downclocking thing...

Can anybody help me with this?

Might this be caused because of the fact that I had installed more then one overclocking tool?

At the moment there is only
    - nVidia Inspector
    - MSI Afterburner
    left.

I uninstalled
    - RivaTuner (Because it seems that the tool was not working with my card)
    - Precision X

All the software where downloaded at this side and up to date.

My graphics card driver is the 310.90 (WHQL).

Hope yo can help me :)

2. Priost

Priost New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GT650M
    Just saw that this topic is already in discussion in another thread. Sorry for that!

3. playswithfire

playswithfire Active Member

GPU:
    GTX670 SLI
    All I can say is... I hope you have Applecare! :p