Overclocking guide and help on Asus P5Q-P45 series Motherboards

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by chispy, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Drunkenmasta

Drunkenmasta Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Hi epelj1,

Do you have an aftermarket cooler? If not I recommend the Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme. This is a must when overclocking as heat is any overclocker's nemesis. Everything is much more efficient at cooler temps. Having said that, it doesn't mean you will lose stability with a few more degrees and an overclocked system...if it's setup properly.

Scary temps is when cores hit over 70 degrees celcius. The CPU itself shouldn't go over 70 degrees C, and if it does go over a certian amount the PC may just freeze or reboot to protect itself. I like to trust my own instinct though and set it so it doesn't get too hot. Usually this means finding the sweetspot voltage for the CPU, DRAM and NB. Voltages may vary between identical PC setup too.

Checkout Post #54 , #142 and $151 for more details. For 3 GHz not much is needed. Just keep in mind that if you only overclock the FSB, the DRAM will automatically overclock as welll. Make sure oyu manually set that or put it to a 1:! ratio meaning the CPU FSB and DRAM FSB are evenly working together at the same rate.

E.g FSB 400 MHz and DDR2 RAM at 400 MHz (800 MHz after DDR). This is what is meant by 1:1 ratio. As you can see, somre pretty impressive FSB is needed for a good memory overclock. Besides the Core i7, the Intel CPUs aren't really dependant on memory clock, so long as you try to keep a 1:1 ratio as much as possible with a good CPU FSB overclock you should be ok. Don't go crazy with voltages, but it's ok to set them a LITTLE more than auto just to make sure you can hit the overclock ok, and then lower then until you notice instability. Then put it up to where you think it's stable and cool.

In your scenario, just couple of notches in the volts should see 3 GHz stable. Hardware can vary so lets hope it doesn't requitre too much voltage to acheive your goal :).

Hope this helps.

2. IkemenTommy

IkemenTommy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB HDMI
    I got it to finally boot at FSB483 with my E8400 with 1.40V core voltage, which is beyond the recommended spec. It goes into Windows, but the programs keep crashing with errors. I probably need to crank the voltage higher to get stability, but at the same time I am a little anxious that I can end up burning up my CPU while I am running strictly on air. It's really not worth the effort to crank a few points in Vantage benchmarking, which needless to say crashed when I attempted to run it just earlier.

I am so tempted to keep raising the voltage until I hit the magical FSB500. So close I am telling you!

3. epelj1

epelj1 New Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800 GTS
    Thanks for all your help!

Now, hypothetically speaking, if I were in need to say.. reset the bios, how would I go about doing that?

4. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    epelj1, there are 2 ways.

1: Go into the BIOS and Load Default Startup in the Exit menu form memory.

2: There is a CMOS jumper that you can just pull out and move to the next pin to the right. It's located underneath the end of the videocard, closer the bottom of mobo.

5. epelj1

epelj1 New Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800 GTS
    Thanks.

I used some pieces of your suggestions to people, I think it was mostly from post #54 of yours, or thereabouts.

What would cause the computer to not even go through bios?

6. IkemenTommy

IkemenTommy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB HDMI
    Is it safe to overclock the Wolfdale processor at 1.45V Vcore? I am aircooling with an Asus cooler but I am worried it may burn it crisp. I want to run it for a benchmark test but I am a little anxious.

7. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    A few things could cause it not to POST. Check your FSB Strap. Put it to auto and make sure your FSB isn't too high if you are just trying for a small overclock. Put the DRAM between 800 - 900 MHz. Any lower or higher may cause instability. If you had 1066 RAM then of course you could push it past 1066 MHz, maybe 1100MHz or so.

CPU voltage can be fussy as well. Wolfdales\Yorkfields (E8xxx\Q9xxx) can go up to around 1.45v safely as I have just checked on google and read from a few sources.

Ikemen I'm not sure if pushing your CPU over 1.45v is a great idea if you want it to last. But then again I did have a look in google and some said they haven't had issues past 1.5v so long as it's cool. Just be careful, too much voltage in one hit can cause burns inside the core as it doesn't have time to dissipate properly through the cooler.

The Conroe/Kensfield (E6xxx\Q6xxx) can do up to 1.6v max and I wouldn't like to push it any higher.

Careful, you can up it a little more jsut for stability and testing when overclocking but not too high. high voltage could even not make the PC POST at all because it's too much. This board is fussy.

Have what you aren't sure on auto or disabled as instructed from previous posts. It may take a bit but you will soon have the clock you want and stable :).

Best of luck.

HINT: My CPU at 3.6 GHz is 1.575 volts. It seems to be stable there and it survived the summer fine here. Maybe try 1.475v and then see how it works. If it doesn't post then try 1.45v or 1.5v and see how it goes.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  8. Deathspank

Deathspank Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    if im clocked to 4GHz then i use 1.45v. temps are fine idle and under load.

9. IkemenTommy

IkemenTommy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB HDMI
    Thanks. That's reassuring to know.

I wonder why you are limited at 4GHz though.

10. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Probably because Intel don't want you to go any higher. Either that or it's just not a as good as overclocking against other ones that are identical.

I'm pretty sure some penryn / yorkfield can hit well over 4 GHz only. 4.5 GHz on air but not sure what the volts are at and how stable they are or temps. I think that's when the skew times and then RAM delay was played with. Need a lot of time for them because this board won't boot if it's not quite rightl.

Just came across this :p:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162552

Check temps and make sure you know what you're doing if going over 1.49v.

11. Dave L

Dave L New Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX295
    Pls help overclocking q6700

Hi folks,
    Please could you help me with overclocking my q6700? I'm a total noob, so pls go easy :)

OK heres my setup:
    Thermaltake tai-chi case with water cooling on CPU

Dominator 1066 4x1GB with dominator cooling fans
    Stock cooling on NB (with included fan)

XFX GTX295

All running at stock speeds

Idle temps
    CPU:13 degrees
    M/B:25 degrees

GTAIV temps
    CPU:23 degrees
    M/B:25 degrees

What would you expect I should be aiming for, for the cpu OC? 3.2GHz?
    Also would you OC the memory or leave at 1066?

If you could tell me what to enable/disable along with voltages etc I would be very grateful. Basically I don't trust myself, but trust your judgements.

Thx in advance
    Dave

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  12. IkemenTommy

IkemenTommy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB HDMI
    P5Q Turbo edition has just been released.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From appearance, it looks like a slightly beefed up regular P5Q (with the gold heatsinks) but with more SATA ports and a F/O audio out. I wonder how the TurboV and Turbo Key features live up..

Personally, I don't know if people are still buying FGA775 motherboards.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  13. Deathspank

Deathspank Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    im not but if i want higher clock she needs more juice. i went to 4.3GHz once (benchmarking) but she need at least 1.6+v. plus once i was past 4GHz i wasnt realy see any great gains. in fact im at 3.8 for that reason. my benchies at 3.8 and 4GHz are almost similar so i thought whats the point in the extra stress and heat for nothing.

sorry went on a bit of a ramble there lol.

14. sidewinder7

sidewinder7 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 512 mb
    I'm on 3.6ghz with 1.4625 v.

15. IkemenTommy

IkemenTommy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB HDMI
    I noticed that a while ago too. The performance saturates at a certain point and it either doesn't go any faster or it slows down in some benchmarks.

I'm running at default atm. It plays most games and does the job just finely.

16. IkemenTommy

IkemenTommy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB HDMI
    A new BIOS (ver 2002) for P5Q is available.

It looks like a minor upgrade. The specific changes:
    Update Express Gate to v1.4.4.1

17. tireman

tireman New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTS OC
    Heres my stuff for P5Q

Great Little Motherboard for one video card use.

Mushkin HP2 6400 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800 5-4-4-12 (1.8V)#996587

E7300@3.55ghz.

Bios 2002

DDR2 Frequency 800mhz Actual 853mhz
    CAS# Latency: 5
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay 4
    DRAM RAS# Precharge 4
    DRAM RAS# Activate to Precharge 12
    RAS# to RAS# Delay Auto
    Row Refresh Cycle Time Auto
    Write Recovery Time Auto
    Read to Precharge Time Auto
    READ to WRITE Delay Auto
    Write to Read Delay Auto
    WRITE to READ Delay Auto
    READ to READ Delay Auto
    READ to READ Delay Auto
    WRITE to WRITE Delay Auto
    WRITE to WRITE Delay Auto
    WRITE to PRE Delay Auto
    READ to PRE Delay Auto
    PRE to PRE Delay Auto
    ALL PRE to ACT Delay Auto
    ALL PRE to REF Delay Auto
    DRAM Static Read Control Disabled
    DRAM Read Training Auto
    MEM. OC Charger Auto
    AI Clock Twister Moderate
    AI Transaction Booster Manual
    Common Performance Level 07
    Pull-In of CHA PH1: DISABLED
    Pull-In of CHA PH2: DISABLED
    Pull-In of CHA PH3: DISABLED
    Pull-In of CHA PH4: DISABLED
    Pull-In of CHB PH1: DISABLED
    Pull-In of CHB PH2: DISABLED
    Pull-In of CHB PH3: DISABLED
    Pull-In of CHB PH4: DISABLED
    CPU Voltage 1.33750
    CPU GTL reference 0.61x
    CPU PLL Volage1.50
    FSB Termination Voltage 1.20
    Dram Voltage 1.80
    NB Voltage 1.10
    SB Voltage 1.10
    PCIE Voltage 1.50
    CPU Spread Spectrum Disabled
    PCIE Spread Spectrum Disabled
    Ai Over Clock Manual
    CPU Ratio Setting 10
    FSB Frequency 355
    PCI Frequency 100 (Safety Lock Always 100)
    FSB Strap To Northbridge 333
    DDR Ram Frequency 853
    Dram Timing Manual
    CPU Clock Skew Auto
    NB Clock Skew Auto
    Maximum CPU Value Limit Disabled
    CPU Margin Enhancement Performance
    C1E Speed Step Enabled (allows throttle down on low use)
    Execute Disable Bit Disabled
    CPU TM Function Enabled (Throttles CPU on Overheat)
    CPU ratio 10
    IDE timeout 0 (for ide drives only)
    Serial Port Disable
    USB auto or enabled as req.d not disabled.
    ide disabled as only satas used.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  18. Expansion

Expansion New Member

GPU:
    Asus 8500GT
    Hi guys, I have an E6550, G0 revision, FPO # 3744A923, stock cooler, an Asus P5Q SE motherboard and 4GB A-Data Vitesta Extreme 800+.
    I want to do some OC to the CPU, but I want to stay on the safe side.
    I have to mention that I'm a complete noob when it comes to overclocking.
    Any advices?

19. Risky

Risky New Member

GPU:
    ATI RADEON HD4890 1GB
    Sweet

Hello all

I've just got all my new gear today and have just finished installing everything and would like to know some Bio's setting to overclock my Q8200 on this Board.

Ive readed all over the net and this seem the best place to ask for help.

I've overclocked before on my E6300 & E5200 which was easy but are just want to be safe with setting up this setup.

INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q8200 2.33GHZ 4MB 1333 FSB
    Cool Master Gemin 2 with 2 X 120mm three speed fans set @ 2000 rmp
    ASUS P5Q Deluxe MB
    3G Kingston HyperX DDR2-1066 (2x1g. 2X512mb) (out of my old system)
    2 X Seagate Barracuda ES 160Gb in Raid 0 (out of my old system)
    ATI RADEON HD4890 1GB GDDR5 PCIE
    TT Toughpower 650W PSU

I just wont to be careful guys & girls as I stopped a 20 year smoking habit to get this hardware.

(P.S)
    I'm looking at upgrading the Memory to DDR2 1200 & replacing the HDDs in a month or so and would also like to know what you's guys & girls in the no think I should get for this MB.

(UPDATE)

I finally got to start overclocking this board last night but before I did I removed my Q8200 & HD4890 so there was no chance of damaging them.

So I install my old E5200 & HD3870 and got to it and thing went ok untill I hit the wall :bang: @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.368volt Memory @ 1066/ 5.6.6.15 @ 2.2Volt.

I ran OCCT for 90Mins without problem and temp was only 52 degs C @ full load so I going to give the Quad a test run later this week and see how we go.

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=577152

I just want to say a big thank you to Drunkenmasta for the tips he give me as it helped bigtime cheers man.

Till Later.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  20. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Hey Ricky,

Nice work, I'm amazed that little Wolfdale can become such a monster!

I cannot find any download links or ftps for that firmware. If it was a driver you could go into device manager and select roll back but with firmware it's not the same.

Asus or Silicon images do no have it on their websites!! Gotta hate $hitty support >_<.

Good luck with the quaddy, they are usually a bit tougher to clock since they do more communting with the NB when the cores talk to each other, which will require a bit more NB voltage I imagine.