Overclocking guide and help on Asus P5Q-P45 series Motherboards

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by chispy, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Ish415

Ish415 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4870 1G
    hey guyz... totally n00b to overclocking. built a new system this weekend and would like to try OC for the first time. a lil assistance will be very much appreciated..
    P5Q-e Lga / Q6600/ 8G (2Gx2x2pairs)@ 1066Mhz

thanks

2. Drunkenmasta

Drunkenmasta Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    HTML:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=265354&page=2
    Post #54 although my RAM voltage now is 2.1v for my type of RAM sticks and 1.575v for my CPU because any lower it doesn't boot up for my overclock.

3.77 GHz was where I had mine but it wasn't amazingly stable as how I wanted it. At 3.6 Ghz it's much more robust at the same voltage levels I had it at.

Best thing to do is go as low as you can with your voltages until you notice that it's way too slow, unexpected shutdown of services and at the bottom right tray not all services will load if voltages are too low. I especially noticed this with NB voltage. 1.46v for the NB voltage is good for me at the moment but thats with the P5Q Deluxe and large heatpipe for the chipset. Keep an eye on temps using Everest or Motherboard Monitor. Your max may be 1.4v until it begins to get too hot and unstable. Maybe try 1.3v for the NB, but no more than 1.4v.

For CPU Voltage, don't put it higher than 1.6v unless you are asking to fry your Q6600 within a few months, the motherboard may be fussy and only like certain voltages to boot up on. Mine is like that and sometimes doesn't even boot if the temp isn't right in my room.

Hope this helps.

3. Rubenvb

Rubenvb Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 512MB
    Hi there fellow P5Q(-E/pro/deluxe) owners! My P5Q-E hasn't let me down yet and I'm liking it a lot. I started oc'ing a couple days ago and have some settings to contribute:
    Standard, an e8400 will be set at 1.176v in VCore BIOS when left on auto... could help.?
    Next I've got some stable (puny) oc's to contribute (I'm getting an Arctic Freezer 7 pro tomorrow, so that'll push up the clocks some):

First my specs:
    2*2 GB Kingston Valueram ddr2-800 at 5-5-5-18
    Intel E8400
    P5Q-E
    Sapphire HD4870 512MB
    620 W PSU Coolermaster Realpower
    All voltages are set to the standard value as defined in the bios, nothing upped except maybe the Vcore!

First one, to test my memory speed:
    FSB: 450, mult.: 7x
    FSB Strap to NB: 333
    VCore: 1.176
    Performance level: 10
    Everest memory read bandwidth / latency: 7376/73.6
    (I find it awesome that Valueram clocks so high!)

Second one:
    FSB: 400, mult.: 8x
    FSB Strap to NB: 333 meaning 480mhz ddr speed (960 dual channel)
    VCore: 1.18125
    Performance level: 8
    Everest memory read bandwidth / latency: 7715/68.1
    (this is my current oc before i get a new cpu cooler)

third one:
    FSB: 333, mult.: 9x
    FSB Strap to NB: 266 meaning 417 ddr speed (835 dual channel)
    VCore: 1.176
    Performance level: 7
    Everest memory read bandwidth / latency: 6978/72.6

Just showing the influence of straps to memory speed and showing off my super Valueram running 20% oc!!
    One more very important question: The performance level as found under transaction booster in BIOS greatly improves memory read bandwidth+ latency by +-100MB/s per setting. How come I can't get it lower than what I said above (these were the lowest stable)? What can I do to help this?
    PS: Dram read training was enabled, as was static red control, OC charger was disabled... woo my valueram is the greatest!! LOL ^.^
    PS2: BTW congrats Chispy on the clock
    PS3: @kfilip: don't know if it helps, but with me I can run all voltages stock (NOT AUTO) except vcore for pretty much anything... you could try that.

PS4: wow, longer post than I expected :p

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  4. Rubenvb

Rubenvb Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 512MB
    I got a great answer in another thread from pyongmu about Performance level. Here it is:

Hope this helps my fellow p5q owners to get the most out of their mobo.

5. Rubenvb

Rubenvb Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 512MB
    Here's a little update to my oc'ing adventure:
    I installed an aftermarket cooler today: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (cheap and decent, like the rest of my pc lol)
    That allowed me to get to 3.6 GHz at 1.28750 set vCore in BIOS (1.264-1.272 in CPU-z idle-load with Load Line Calibration enabled)
    All settings are now as follows:
    FSB: 400
    PCIe frequency: 100
    FSB Strap to NB: 333
    Dram frequency: 961 MHz (second option with 5:6 divider)
    Timings: 5-5-5-15, rest auto
    Voltages:
    vCore: 1.28750
    the rest is still on the factory standard value (NB, SB and FSB termination at 1.1v and stable! Vdim is still at 1.8v)

I have static read control and dram read training enabled, OC charger disabled. My current performance level is 8. Won't boot at 7 or below (obviously)

I couldn't seem to get my ram past 960 MHz at these voltages (which i'm not planning on altering for the minor performance boost), independent of strap, divider and fsb used. Then I remembered it was Valueram and was more than happy with 960 (480*2).

I'm about to experiment with the pull-in settings under performance level to see the boost in performance/unability to boot...

PS: this is becoming quite a monologue... please respond, this is an awesome thread!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 590
    Ruben you are doing great bro , keep pushing it a little further :) , nice going you have there.

chispy.

7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 590
    In order to run your ram higher you need to set performance level at 10~11 in Bios , then use memset to lower that to 8 or 9 in windows , its the only way to get higher clocks on memory..

chispy.

8. pjneder

pjneder New Member

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD3870 512M
    Need some help!

I have read through all of this post as well as others on other forums. I'm not a total noob at OC, but this board is so much more powerful than my ancient A7N8X-E w/ Sempron that I'm still confused. :bang:

I got my P5Q Deluxe last month, and just got some (what I hope is decent) RAM the other day. The OCZ PC2-8500 Platinum is rated for 1066 with 5-5-5-15 @ 2.2v.

Drunkenmasta I've tried to approach your settings (our setup is not all that different) with absolutely no luck. Usually changing anything out of auto results in no post.

I tried just upping the voltages and only running the memory at DDR2-1066 with FSB at 266 and strap to auto. No luck. Shouldn't that work or do I have something way wrong?

Can someone help me get started here? With the setup, what is the BASIC first steps that I should be able to get to?

Thanks,
    pjneder

P.S. Running all air cooled and plan to stay that way. Using Asus Artic Square. Since I've never even booted with higher speeds and Vcc, I can't really imagine that cooling is my problem, yet.

9. pjneder

pjneder New Member

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD3870 512M
    Update:

I finally got the memory to push to its rated 1066. I set the Vram to 2.26 and now it posts as 1066.

I still have FSB=266 and strap to auto.
    I'm getting DRAM freq = 534.6Mhz
    FSB:DRAM = 1:2

Seems like I should be able to do a bunch more. Maybe this memory is just ass, or I am an idiot. Help is still really appreciated.

Thanks

10. IkemenTommy

IkemenTommy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB HDMI
    I wish if there is a more comprehensive guide on what those individual BIOS settings do.

11. Drunkenmasta

Drunkenmasta Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Hi pjneder, I got your PM.

This board can be fussy at the best of time. Only experiment if you have got the time with little fancy tweaks. With raw overclocking of the CPU and RAM, it can vary.

I've recently had a problem where my board won't OC at ALL. On stock it boots up but as soon as I set the AI Tuning ot Manual and not even change the MHz, it didn't boot. In the end I loaded BIOS defaults and flashed the latest 1702 BIOS in. After that it was much better. I set my FSB to 400 (3.6 GHz), left the Strap to AUTO and put the DRAM to 1066 MHz.

CPU Voltage - 1.575v
    RAM Voltage - 2.1v
    NB Voltage - 1.46v
    Mem OC Charger Enabled
    Disable all CPU Options like C1E Support
    Disable all SPREAD SPECTRUMS

Save it to a profile and see how you go. At times I've had to change the jumper to reset the CMOS. It's the one just beneath the end of the videocard if your tower is upright.

The main thing to remember is keep an eye on strange behaviour like applications crashing or services in your system tray at the bottom right not loading properly. That means the OC is too high for the volts and you may either need to up the voltage or lower the clocks of your CPU/RAM. Also if the Spash screen on POST looks strange just before you load windows, the OC isn't right.

Hope this helps.

12. pjneder

pjneder New Member

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD3870 512M
    Thanks DB. I'll give some of those settings a try. For sure it takes some time and patience. I saved the $$$ going with a Q6600, so I have to expect it to be a bit tricky.

I was surprised to push the DRAM up to 2.26V, but that got me to its rated 1066.

I used setFSB to push the timings up just a tad once booted, just to see if it would OC at all. It runs fine at FSB=270 and DRAM=540 (1080). I doubt I can push these OCZ way out, so I'll got back to having strap to AUTO and tweak from BIOS.

One simple question to make sure I understand this:

Is it fine to run the voltages up without tweaking the clocks at all? At least as a sanity check. I know there is no good reason to have them up if you are pushing the clocks, but I assume it is ok to make sure you can boot.

Cheers

13. Rubenvb

Rubenvb Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 512MB
    @pjneder: if you mean upping the voltage without upping the clocks, I don't see why you would have to... Also, try setting your dram voltage back to 2.2, but altering your performance level. It's located under AI transaction boost. It can be very picky when it comes to POSTing. Also, ASUS boards tend to increase all voltages when you're increasing your fsb, so keeping them all on auto isn't a good idea. Set them manually asap. The auto setting for voltages is good to see IF your oc could boot, but I don't recommend it for stress testing.

@IkemenTommy: I have a review/guide with a lot of guidelines and explanations for the different settings on a similar, but high performance board. It helped me a lot: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3208&p=4
    It's for a x48, but most settings should apply.

14. Deathspank

Deathspank Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    hi

have you guys tried kets modded bios for the p45 series? im currently using 1613m and can easily achive 500Mhz fsb (hav'nt tried going ant further yet).

here a linky: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=200109

all his modded bios are in his first post, just scroll down till you find the latest bios for your mobo.

15. pjneder

pjneder New Member

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD3870 512M
    I have tried to change that performance level number but nothing seems to make these sticks happy below 2.26V. They are rated as 2.2V, so I don't think this seems too far over the limit anyway.

Thanks for the pointer. I grabbed the 1702m (since I was running 1702). I'm not sure it make a world of different for me. It's still pretty finicky.

After the advice on this board and catching a post that pointed to http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515311 I decided to take a big step back and try to do this better. I got myself some 400, 800, 1000 grit paper and pulled my Artic Square and Q6600 out for lapping. Not surprisingly they were way out of whack. I did a decent but not perfect job (this was my first time lapping). I immediately got 6-8*C out of that project!

I can run super stable at FSB-333 and Vcore=1.29. Coretemp tops out at 65C running prime95.

I can now get it to run FSB=400 if I use settings similar to DM's recommended. It is not super duper stable though. The most annoying this is getting it to POST and also sleep and reboot from windows. Seems like the only way to get it to reliable boot at those clocks is to power it off. The temps are pretty high as well.

Am I correct in the understanding that the Q6600 G0 has a Tjunc max of 100*C as measure by CoreTemp 0.99?

Thanks for the help guys. This forum is the sweet spot for OC'ing! :banana:

Cheers

16. cyber_shinigami

cyber_shinigami New Member

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670 512
    Hai ... i'm newbie ... got some problem here ... how do you guys think if you see this ? i think VCORE sett is to high, i try to stepped down the VCORE but if i playing game there's an error messages windows n the game was closed ?
    TQ for helping me

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Rubenvb

Rubenvb Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 512MB
    I think your ram is overclocked way too high... pc-6400 is 400Mhz, and you're running it at 540 (!)
    Try adjusting either timings (like 6-6-6-18) or the frequency (lower, like instead of current 1080MHz, try a 1:1 divider with 450 MHz, which should work) in Bios settings.

18. epelj1

epelj1 New Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800 GTS
    Hello all..

I'm painfully new to overclocking. I tried some settings that I read on a forum, it may have been this one, if might not have been. That experience was quickly righted when the bios realized I screwed something up, and kindly reset.

Anyway, I'm writing in hopes to find some help (which is probably obvious).

First, what I have. I have an Asus P5Q SE/R with the Q6600 and an AC Freezer 7. For ram I have 4gb of GSkill DDR2-800 (newegg lists the timing at 5-5-5-15).

Now, what I'm trying to achieve. I built the computer ideally for rendering purposes. CPU and RAM heavy jobs lasting anywhere from 30 minutes to 15 hours, so stability is a huge concern. I'd hate to get 14 hours into a 15 hour render only to have it fail. I would love to get 3 ghz out of it. I've read that more is possible, but again, stability stability stability.

What I need is really really good directions on what to do. My extent of knowledge once I get in bios is how to "Save and Exit". Would someone be willing to either give me some step by step numbers, or very good descriptions of what the variables are/do that I need to tweak.

My biggest fear is that being a student, I'll get in there and screw something up, and not be able to replace it.

Thanks everyone,
    Jason

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 590
    Hi Jason, i need to know if your memory can handle more than 800Mhz ?
    Me and the good guys on this forum will help you out , but i need you to take down some notes. What temperatures are you getting at stock voltage and speed with 100 load ? As i dont want you to break nothing and be 100% stable 24/7.

chispy.

20. epelj1

epelj1 New Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800 GTS
    Chispy,

Thanks for the reply. Due to bad weather, I've been away from my house for several days, but all is good now.

I'm not sure how to tell on the memory issue. The memory I have is.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122
    If you can't tell from that, let me know what to look for, and I'll do it.

As far as temps, at Idle I'm getting 24, 24, 17 and 21 across the cores. (according to HWMonitor). At 100% I'm getting 38, 38, 32 and 34. At what temperature do things start getting scary?

Is there anything else you need to know?

Thanks!
    Jason