Overclocking a GeForce 8800 GTS.... A newbie needs help, also with RT....

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by palmer666, Jan 17, 2008.

1. palmer666

palmer666 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 STRIX
    Hello to all 3D-gurus!

I am an absolutly newbie in overclocking some graphic cards, so
    i have some question and i hope you can help me. So lets start...

Yesterday evening i have done some OC tests with my Sparkle GeForce
    8800 GTS 640 (Rev. A3), basing on an article from a german hardware
    magazine.

I am absolute not sure, if i have done it right, or better, if i understood it right.

I have set following settings to RivaTuner 2.06 with ForceWare 169.25 under
    Windows Vista x86:

This are the 2D-settings:
    [​IMG]

And this the 3D-settings:
    [​IMG]

Here two screens from the monitoring when testing my settings with Crysis:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The core temperature (81°) is wrong, the shot was taken before raising fan speed! Now it is at 70°... Because of raising the frequenzies i thought, i have also raised up the fan to 70% from 60% for better cooling - i hope so ;-)

Are this settings okay? Or will it damage my card some day? Has someone the
    same specs or can give me some tips/hints for overclocking my card, some frequenzy settings or good values i can use if above are wrong or risky? Just want some more speed for Crysis, don´t have the money for buying a new GT or GTS ... ;-) Maybe, someone is here with the same card and has some safe values for me.

At last a point i don´t understand when overclocking with RT: Why are the memory clocks always the same in 2D and 3D? Is that correct (look at the screenshots)? When enabling driver-level hardware overclocking, he asked me, if i want to allow seperate 2D/3D clock frequencies...??? I have checked the box (it was checked i think).

The same thing with not seperated settings are the speeds in 2D/3D for the fan - i can just set one for both:

[​IMG]

No seperation between 2D/3D. Correct?

Okay, thats it. Looking forward for some answers or tips. And sorry, sorry, sorry for my bad english :) I hope, you understand what i have written!

CU & THANX FOR YOUR HELP!
    Nico

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  2. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Overclock values look fine to me. As far as 2D/3D, read RT's help doc's. It's explained there.