Overclocking a core 2 duo 6600, need advice

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by NecroDemonNZXT, Dec 10, 2011.

1. NecroDemonNZXT

NecroDemonNZXT Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
    Hey every1,

so, I have this 6600 for like 3 years now and it rly shows its age. I want to get the best out of it, so I purchased a rather cheap 3rd party cooler, the apache 2, just for the sake of "upgrading" the stock, dirty, aged intel cooler. I set my memory to 1:1(some supertalent value memory), and my c2d conroe is now clocked @ 3.0G, 334 FSB, and memory @ 668, 4-4-4-15. I run orthos for a couple of hours(I know I need more to value stability) and it was good. The thing is, core temp and speedfan counted up to 69C and 70C respectively. I know that some might consider this hot and others normal, maybe on the higher side. I know that I used the cheap packaged thermal paste, and that my application of it was bad, but the cooler is seated well, because i tried pushing it firmly to place when orthos loaded the CPU, and the temperatures didnt fluctuate a bit. So that part should be OK.

Some1 asked me about the vcore settings, and I told him that I didnt touch the vcore, however, I did set it to auto. He informed me that my mobo must have adjusted the vcore after the oc, so I checked SPEEDFAN and CPUZ, both show vcore @ 1,415. After googleing about my cpu it looks like the vcore was idd adjusted by the auto setting, as most C2D default below 1.35... So my question is whether I should lower my vcore to another fixed number. Higher temps because of the OC are normal, but vcore being auto adjusted at a higher point would really explain the temperatures im getting. I have to note that when gaming it never surpassed 65C, but I know orthos stress is the real deal.

specs

C2D 6600, 65nm, Conroe
    supertalent value memory @ 668mhz, 4-4-4-15
    asus commando mobo

2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX 3090 H2O
    Good Day , i will try to help you out , but first i really need to know your hardware configuration completely .

Uh Oh :( , i just saw at newegg what kind of cpu cooler you bought and its no better than the stock Intel heatsink/fan :/ ,

This = A no go: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233061 .
    Im afraid that until you get a propper Heatsink made for overclocking i cannot help you out any further , its a waste of time really , trying to overclock a c2d E6600 on that tiny cpu Heatsink. Good Luck.

3. NecroDemonNZXT

GPU:
    ATI HD4850

yeah I know what I bought, i didnt want to invest any more in a cooler right now, but I didnt want to stay with the old cooler either.

I m also aware that mildly overclocking the specific line of cpus is really easy, even on stock cooling. ofc you are soon limited by temperatures, but till then i would like to give it a go. I really cannot understand ur reply... I asked a couple of specific things but you seem more interested in the safety of my 4 year old cpu than I am :3eyes: If u can help me i really look forward to a proper response

4. jellysheep

jellysheep Banned

GPU:
    Elitegroup GTX 570
    Overclocking done CORRECTLY, wont put a toll on the cpus lifespan to any dicernable degree. keep temp and voltages in check, and you're fine.

I suggest a freezer 7 Pro heatsink. it took my Core 2 duo E7500 to 3.8GHZ at only 54C max load.

5. NecroDemonNZXT

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
    ty m8 , right now I wont invest in another cooler. maybe in summer, if im really into OCing by then. if u could help me with the vcore/temps/memory timings questions id be grateful

6. jellysheep

jellysheep Banned

GPU:
    Elitegroup GTX 570
    My core 2 duo, isn't good as a reference, as it was HORRID at overclocking, it needed 1.38V to substain 3.8GHZ on a asus P5Q pro turbo.

so 1.38Vcore, 38C idle, 54C load. for ram i was using 4GB G.skill DDR2 1066MHZ @ 2.1V

7. NecroDemonNZXT

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
    you have an opinion on my vcore ? i set it to auto and speedfan/cpuz read it at 1,415 @3,0G. u think the auto setting increased it after i changed my fsb?(thus increasing the temps?)Should I set it in a fixed rating, like 1,35 by myself?

8. jellysheep

jellysheep Banned

GPU:
    Elitegroup GTX 570
    1.4+ is suicide///

9. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    I had a C2D E6550 that wouldn't reach 3.02GHz (430MHz) stable if the voltage isn't set at 1.415V.
    You might also want to set the option in BIOS that improves VDroop; IIRC it's the LLC (Load Line Calibration) option.
    Of course, you could also try adjusting the voltage down manually and test its stability yourself.
    FSB:DRAM ration is 1:1, and my 4x1GB Corsair could handle 860MHz just fine @1.9V.

In any case, OC-ing is a trial & error thing; there's no silver bullet even for the same system setup.

@jellysheep
    No, it's not; had mine running 3+ years just fine with 1.415V.
    Wolfdale (E7500) has a smaller voltage range compared to Conroe (E6550, E6600).
    But with that kind of cooler, it might be.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  10. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    it is? I been running a qx9650 at 4ghz for years at 1.45v. its in my backup rig right now

11. gampamu

gampamu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTS 320
    The max vcore for the conroe is 1.5V. OP, a stable oc at the lowest vcore is what you should aim for.

12. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    I ran my Q9650 at 1.6v for years without ill effects, just needed very loud cooling ;)

13. NecroDemonNZXT

GPU:
    ATI HD4850
    I would like to remind you that the vcore was set to 1,4 by the "auto" setting in the bios. so its not like the cpu wanted to kill itself :p

well whatever, I changed the vcore to 1,325 or 1,35 , but the speedfan and cpuz both say its 1,33 which drops to 1,3 because of the vdrool effect, or whatever u call it. The pc seems stable and running for now, I will test it with orthos for a couple of hours(first stage test for just now, not long term stability test). The good thing is that the temperatures dropped a lot, they will probably max out to around 60C, which is a lot better than 70C :) . The vcore really put a lot of strain to that cheap cooler. Happy to know though it looks stable up to at least 1,4vcore, that means I got some a lot of possibilities left I guess.