Overclocking 2800+ Newcastle

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Seongmin, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Seongmin

Seongmin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 4830 512MB
    Well, I have the rig in my sig and I'm trying to squeeze everything out of it. I know that my components are outdated but I'm just trying to have some fun :nerd: . My goal is to be STABLE at 2.6.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is there anyway that I can do to make the 2.6 stable? I have already increased the voltage on the cpu by 1.7% (the voltage used in pic was 3.x%, which was a mistake. It'll do 2.6 at 1.7% as well) and the ram to 2.8v. Any advice would be great! Thanks.

Btw, the reason I put up 2 pictures is because my ram can go up to 240 and be ok, unless I run something intensive. The 2.6 on the cpu is very unstable cause if I load a program, it'll crash.

2. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    What kind of cooling do you have for the CPU? Newcastles aren't known to overclock too much, it was impressive enough for me 2.2Ghz to hit 2.5Ghz but your 1.8Ghz stock (if I'm not mistake) to 2.5Ghz is even more amazing.

Maybe get better cooling, like water?

3. Seongmin

Seongmin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 4830 512MB
    I'm sporting the stock HSF. Stays cool enough for me... Would adding a HS on the chipset help?

4. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    That's a pretty amazing OC from a 1.8Ghz CPU. You got real lucky with that.

It'd be better if you add a better HSF for the CPU, like a Zalman 9500, or Thermaltake XP-90, or watercooling:D

Depending on what your idle and load temps are, it's very possible that you've reached the limit for the CPU.

5. Seongmin

Seongmin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 4830 512MB
    Yah, it's pretty toasty in my room, but I'm going to have to think of a way to supply better case flow. I'm trying to limit myself to the 200$ mark, which I have done with this system (so far).

6. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    Seong, i do hope you brought the HTT multi down from 4x to 3x right? if not the you are pushing the HTT link, and that might be your problem

7. Seongmin

Seongmin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 4830 512MB
    Yup, HTT is at 3x. I heard that if you multiply the HTT and your fsb, it should be less than 1000 or else it could lead to some trouble :dave: .

8. Seongmin

Seongmin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 4830 512MB
    My cpu stays at around 45 C in my room. It's like 82-84 F in my room right now... I'm guessing that I've hit the limit, because pumping more voltage doesn't do anything.

9. cole4life

cole4life New Member

GPU:
    powercolor radeon 256 hd3 405/220
    can u help with overclocking my board?

I have an athlonxp 3000+ I think its an newcastle oc only to 2.09 ghz hw far can i go with it

10. DrFreeze

DrFreeze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT740 2GB
    a XP 3000 would be a barton, a amd64 would be newcastle

and your cpu should be able to get past 2.2, maybe even near 2.4 most likely, but your mobo might hold you back, seeing how it most likely doesnt have pci/agp lock

Seongmin, for 754 boards (esp with the nf3 chip, nf4 is a different story) the max advised htt is 800 mhz, it might take 1000, but just to be sure, keep it under 800, so with HTT at 291 mhz, id try dropping the HT mult to 2x, see if that works

11. chickenRUN

chickenRUN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 7950
    For a 2800+ newcastle. hmm.

My first one did 2.66ghz @ 1.72v on chilled-water (5c loadish)
    Second one can do 2.52ghz @ 1.65v on air.
    For a reference.

The newcastle cores being 130nm can take a little more voltage. I've drivin (too much) into a newcastle core and it didnt make a difference, but up to 1.7-1.75 has helped. Just make sure your ram/ htt doesnt hold you back.

12. Seongmin

Seongmin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 4830 512MB
    Lowering Htt to 2 just cause my computer to crash. I guess I'm stuck at 2.5. Oh well, I just picked up a 3400 Clawhammer and DFI Lantparty that'll hopefully get me to my goal.

13. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    i overclocked my 2600+ to 2.2ghz and now its kinda dieing. crashes on prime95 test 1 and sometimes gets to test 2. if i have Emula/Bitcomet running in background while playing BF2 it restarts PC :)

P.S it crashes even on stock speeds! so be careful kids :p

14. Seongmin

Seongmin Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 4830 512MB
    I'm running at 1.6 volts (+ - .5). The mobo fluctuates, and it reaches 1.65 sometimes as a results. My question is, can a Newcastle 2800 take much more? I'm at 2.56 ghz right now, and I'm trying to break into 2.6. Thanks.

Btw, OCZ Gold EL OWNS!! 2-2-2-5 at 233fsb at 3.1V.

EDIT: Btw, how do I lower the HTT on a DFI Lanparty NF3 ??