1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclock of 2080ti with overvolt

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Raffaele Schiavone, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Raffaele Schiavone

Raffaele Schiavone Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080ti
    Hello friends of the forum,

I would like to confront you. I would like to ask you what experiences you have with overclocking Nvidia video cards.
    I am convinced that it has been talked about hundreds of times, so if my request is inappropriate, I apologize to the moderators, who could eventually decide to close my thread.
    I don't speak English well, but I'll try to be as clear as possible.
    I had a bad experience with a GTX Strix 980ti; it broke in mid-afternoon, with an overclock of 100 mhz on the gpu, without overvolt and with temperatures that never exceeded 76 ° C.
    I later purchased a 1080ti which, for fear of damage, I did not overclock. Unfortunately it broke even after 12 months, so I replaced it with a 2080ti. In the last 3 years I have had bad luck with video cards. Before anyone asks me, my power supply is great, absolutely perfect. In 15 years that I use the PC nothing has ever broken, besides Nvidia video cards. I also had a couple of AMDs, which worked perfectly for years.
    I am considering overclocking my 2080ti, also because it is mounted in a custom liquid system (two 360x60 mm radiators, cpu + gpu) with which I have about 47-48 ° C in full load. The card is already overclocked at the factory, with a 1770 mhz core (the founder seems to work at 1635 mhz).
    I know I could go further with the frequencies, probably reaching 1850/1900 mhz on the core and 7500 mhz on the gddr6 memories (now they are at 7000 mhz).
    To get to 1900 mhz on the core I should do overvolt. I checked the gpu-z program and, with the 1770 mhz core and the gigabyte manufacturer's stock voltage, the card runs at 1.05 volts.
    Somewhere I read that Nvidia has blocked the voltage of these cards up to a maximum of 1.093 volts, I don't know if it's true. The TDP of this card can instead reach 122%. It is not entirely clear to me that the voltage of 1.093 volts, decided by Nvidia, is actually safe for these cards, that is, it can be protected from failure. I'm trying to figure out if I can overclock and overvolt in "safety", that is without greatly shortening the life of the component and above all without having a fault after a week of use.
    I use a PC for up to 8/10 hours a day for work and play. The night is off and I almost never keep it turned on for 24 hours straight. The video card works in full load for a maximum of 3-4 hours a day, when I am lucky enough to be able to play for so long. My goal is to get to the end of the warranty, that is I don't want to change the video card before 2 years (I bought it in February). I wonder if the component will last so long in overclocking, obviously keeping an eye on temperatures. Not if that's enough, but I should be able to use the card under 60 ° C, even in overclocking.
    I ask your advice. I admit I have never had an overclocked video card for years, enough to get an idea about the "security" aspect. On the other hand I have had processors and ram overclocked for years, without a problem; I always managed to replace them before the break, because they had become obsolete.
    I hope my message is understandable.
    Thank you all, your experience is precious.

Raffaele

2. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi Raffaele

Regarding yours question on reliability of Nvidia cards and OC, it depends on lots of factors, under water you shouldn't have issues with temperatures, most of air cooled cards will have higher temperatures on mosfets or VRAM which in the end can shorten lifespan of card, hard to say how much shorten, most of mosfets are rated for at least 95-105°C and many GPU AIB using better mosfets which are rated up to 120°C

Owned few Nvidia cards and never have issues with reliability, if I'm not counting old 480,580 and Titan X SC where EVGA Hybrid AIO failed on me and EVGA GTX1080 stopped working and only option have been for me to bake the card as I have lost box and backplate from that card, now this card works as previously and no issues, using all my 4 cards(RTX 2080Ti, GTX 1080Ti and 2*GTX1080's) for rendering and they usually render up to 12-16 hours per day, sometimes I do longer renders which takes up to 24 hours, all cards are OC, RTX 2080Ti is running 2085MHz with 1.05v and GTX1080Ti is running 2113MHz with 1.07v and Manli GTX1080 is running 2164MHz with 1.08v and EVGA GTX1080 with 1.093v from day one when I bought them

Many times comes to lucky draw and silicone lottery with the GPUs, my current Zotac RTX 2080Ti is one poor OC, wouldn't do more than 2115MHz if temperatures above 36°C, VRAM on other hand will do +1125MHz

Regarding the voltages, sometimes more voltage doesn't result in better OC, it definately depend on silicone lottery, in my case running 1.093v will result in 2100-2115MHz and with 1.05v I can do 2085MHz but usually I'm running 2055MHz at such voltage which is more than enough for gaming or rendering

My PC az yours is running 24/7 on daily basis and I rarely reboot PC, usually only when I need to

Yes 1.093v voltage have been locked from Pascal generation and only option have been on Pascal to run more voltage XOC BIOS with which you can push voltages up to 1.2v I think and if you want to run more voltage than 1.093v on RTX 2080Ti then you need get hands on Galax HoF or MSI NDA BIOS which are usually fully unlocked etc and getting them you need be professional LN2 OC or have at least some experience with that

You can be limited on longer run by power limit, not sure what power limit you are have, I would thought so its around 366W or maybe less,voltage limits I never hit in any game, maybe in some benchmarks I could bit in actual gaming not seen or power limt usually sits in 107% range with TDP in 305-310W as max

OC is probably easiest thing to do right now with OC scanner in MSI Afterburner, try MSI Afterburner OC Scanner for OC

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

3. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Is it safe to overclock GPU's 24/7 Nvidia answers 1:07 minute

4. Raffaele Schiavone

Raffaele Schiavone Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 2080ti
    Good evening guys, good evening Jura,

I'm glad to see you here too. ;-) I don't think I understood everything you wrote and I don't know if you understood my message. I absolutely have to improve my English and learn to write and read without the help of the translator.
    Using the translator some things were incomprehensible, so I will have to re-read calmly in English, trying to interpret.
    Yes, I am aware that higher volts do not necessarily mean higher frequencies but, in principle, it should be so. Let's say that I will increase the voltage as long as it is needed and, if I have minimal benefits in terms of frequency, I will definitely lower the voltage and frequencies, until I find a valid setting.
    In the case of my RAM, up to 1.4 volts I have advantages. Going beyond 1.4 volts allows me to have only small profit margins, in terms of frequencies and latencies.
    As for my video card, I wanted to try to understand if my Turing also has a 1.093 volt limiter, and if this voltage can actually be considered safe, because "allowed by Nvidia"; as I have read, Nvidia has set the limit at 1.093 volts to reduce damage to the boards and warranty work due to over voltage.
    I don't have a HOF, but a Gigabyte. I think it's a good card, but it shouldn't be unlocked.
    Like TDP, my card can be up to 122%.
    At the moment I'm not interested in overcoming the voltage of 1.093 volts, unlocking the card with another bios; I think I will do it in two years, when it will no longer be a guarantee, and when I have in mind to buy a new one. At that point, being able to rely on liquid cooling, I'd like to see how far I can go. With gpu boost 4 my card reaches about 2000/2050 mhz. 1770 mhz is the frequency of the core that I read on afterburner, and which is advertised on the official website. The card actually exceeds 2000 mhz under stress; I asked for explanations the other day for this behavior, since I didn't know of the existence of gpu boost 4 of Nvidia.
    If I wanted I could use afterburner to get the maximum frequency on the core, but I thought it was better to increase the frequencies manually, testing the stability in the benchmark. Obviously I will first increase the core frequency, then the memory frequency.
    I don't care about temperatures because, with the volt and TDP limiters, I'm sure my system will dissipate the heat without too much difficulty.
    On the safety of overclock in the long run I'm interested. I will try to watch the video you recommended, trying to interpret it. It is not very easy for me to read English, and even less so to understand a video, but I will try anyway, and thank you very much!

Thank you all for your time.

Raffaele

5. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi Raffaele

Yours English is good, you don't need to apologise for this there

Try OC with stock voltage which should be in region 1.05-1.068v what max you can achieve,I would expect something around 2055-2100MHz range, for VRAM try stock 0MHz offset and if you find stable enough clock speed try 500MHz and go up by extra 25MHz, most of RTX 2080Ti would do at least 800MHz on VRAM, on core you can try +100MHz

If you want go beyond 1.05-1.068v you need to use manual Voltage/Frequency curve in MSI Afterburner because with auto OC with OC Scanner you won't go beyond that voltage, not sure why

1.093v is hard limit on Turing and have been hard voltage limit on Pascal GPUs

@Hilbert Hagedoorn in his reviews posted how to use or how to OC with OC Scanner and MSI Afterburner

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura