Over 185,000 TP-Link routers vulnerable to remote code execution (again) with no patch available

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    I personally don't buy TP-link products because of their poor driver and other software support, which these days is the most critical part of any device in a PC enviroment.

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I wonder how viable a Raspberry Pi is as a router. It surely can run way more sophisticated software than actual "home" routers, and you can always keep it up to date easily.

4. Perjantai

Perjantai Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 watercool
    I have only bought Asus routers for last years and I couldn’t be happier. There is just no competition when you can get security updates almost monthly. I wish there would be more brands to choose from.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I use TP-Link routers (Archer series) and love them. Fortunately they are not affected. Only 2 of the lower end older models are affected.

6. maligor

maligor Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X
    You could use the Raspberry Pi as a AP I guess, but the ethernet performance in is pretty abysmal, as it's attached to the USB. The integrated wifi performance is pretty poor aswell. There are other products from other manufacturers that have pci-express connected networking, but they might have worse software support. (Things like Banana Pi boards)

Personally I have a Turris Omnia which has a OpenWRT based automatically updating OS. It also happily routes around 900Mbps from WAN to LAN.

anticupidon likes this.
  7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Most of their routers can run OpenWRT. That's best option for them anyway. I have it on my old one too. (Now sitting in storage, but ready in case of need.)

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    I recently switched to Xwrt on my Netgear R7000, best move i ever made.

Getting a much better WiFi signal and the UI is a lot faster and cleaner.

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I was looking into LEDE/OpenWRT recently for my old linksys but there's too little setup instructions. I saw on yt some videos and they all involved making vlans or whatever for wifi ... too complicated :p

Wifi drivers are almost universally bad lol. I did buy a tp link wireless adapter last year and I am using a generic broadcom driver from windows update catalog (it won't show up normally in wu). Station drivers versions all caused bsod's and the one on tp's site didn't always connect to my wifi automatically on start up.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, I have old router. WAN 1Gbps, 4xLAN each 100Mbps, WLan 2,4GHz 54Mbps.
    Installed with all special features disabled (Firewall, UI, shares, ...)
    Configured to make WAN,LAN,WLAN as one network. So, router does not have IP address on any of "ports/interfaces", just MACs.
    Basically works as switch for WAN - LAN - WLAN. No way to connect to this router anymore via WAN,LAN,WLAN. Configuration possible only via internal connector and "USB TTL UART CP2102" + putty :)

I did this as perfect LAN party extension for mobile devices, as this puts them into same logical network.

11. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 2080 ti
    Enizax likes this.
  12. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 20.2
    Trying to spy on poor people again?

13. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    The TP-Link routers I've dealt with have gotten updates even though they've become more than five years old, so IMO TP-Link seems to be one of the companies with better support.

14. prazola

prazola Member Guru

GPU:
    R9390XSOC / R9290DCU2OC
    If OpenWRT is too complicated for you, try DDWRT or Tomato.

15. Erick

Erick Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Super 8GB
    They will have their work cut out for them now.

16. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Running a TpLink with DDWRT flashed on it. It works and waits for an upgrade to a dedicated pFsense box. Still, haven't managed to finish this project, but I may soon.

17. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    the only good from TP-link is their price... basically no other brand can compete with their aggressive pricing

for their router, pick the one that supported by wrt or other modded firmware

u get high-end new model right ?
    just wait a year or 2 after release... they will slacking and focusing on newer model

i have several asus routers, their firmware support also no good, only new model get frequest firmware update... but after 1-2year after release (especially if they release newer model), they basically stop updating the firmware on older device

i have yet find brand that have good software/firmware support (i mean as long they sell the product)
    basically all consumer(end-user) network brand i been used (linksys-asus-tplink-netgear) is like half-assed with their firmware

18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    This could change your mindset about routers. How the design starts, how the firmware is developed, the inner works, just pure geek talk.
    I know i leaned something from it, and now i am on the way to build my own router running pFsense.

19. Yakk

Yakk Member Guru

GPU:
    Graphics card
    Would REALLY suggest running Gargoyle on TP-Link routers. Great development community.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    My first instinct too was to say, install custom firmware, then again there's no guarantee that such a fix has been incorporated (yet).