Over 100 Improvements to be included in upcoming AMD Ryzen 3000: AGESA 1.0.0.4

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The max BIOS is easier to make as it's not restrained by the BIOS size (just look at the packed sizes, 9.08mb for your current board yet the x470 gaming pro max latest bios is 14mb)

Just because the x470 gaming pro max is on 1.0.0.3abba and yours is on ab doesn't mean yours won't update to abba or 1.0.0.4

Heck, your latest bios quite frankly isn't even much older then the bios for x470 gaming pro max, yours was released on September 3rd, vs Max on September 19th.

There are many, many motherboards that aren't on abba, and aren't MSI.

2. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS for example just turned to ABBA on most MBs and those BIOSs are horrible for first gen ryzen. Nothing new here, all OEMs fight to run to the new AGESA version without paying attention on system stability as usual, sometimes disabling PBO, sometimes cutting off CBS, then run into repair with later versions..

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I thought the only difference was the Max boards have a prettier interface? I was thinking wouldn't it be better to have a BIOS for your own generation of CPU, but that means more fragmentation. No point having all the stuff for 1st gen Ryzen when you're running 3rd gen, obviously I don't know much space that would save if anything worthwhile.

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    They have twice the amount of space for the BIOS, which means the BIOS can be "prettier", but also support all generations of CPUs.

It's much easier having no "reasonable" limit to BIOS size and not have to worry about what to cut and what not to cut.

Every AGESA version is bigger then the last.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    imagine if they just sold the bios chips as upgrades......

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    A long time ago there was a list which was constantly updated with every AM4 mobo out there and BIOS update status. I guess we'd see there how it really looks for all brands.

Concerning your comparisons, note that I'm still on AB whereas X470 Gaming Pro MAX got ABB and ABBA during the same timeframe. I guess we'll see but I don't have any high hopes.

7. warcraft

warcraft New Member

GPU:
    GTX980
    hello .
    i have ryzen 1800x with Msi b350 gaming Pro carbon .
    should i update bios too ?
    Do Some of these 100 Improvements effect on My system to have better overclocking stability or Lower voltage?

8. wavetrex

wavetrex Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    No, don't do it !!!
    You might not be able to boot your computer if by any chance they removed support for Gen 1 in the new bios.
    Be VERY careful.

However, if you plan to buy a 3700x-3800x as an upgrade, that will work nicely, B350 should still be supported just fine !

warcraft and airbud7 like this.
  9. warcraft

warcraft New Member

GPU:
    GTX980
    very appreciate;)

10. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC
    great advice - new bios updates for some vendors / most far as i've seen resulted in scaled back uefi to accommodate more microcode, the newer gen of cpus, resulted in exclusion of some earlier AM4 gen cpus as current pre X570 chipsets 16-megabyte EEPROMs are running out of space.

More here -
    https://www.techpowerup.com/257201/...ail-amds-zen2-backwards-compatibility-promise

warcraft likes this.

11. wavetrex

wavetrex Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    I have a feeling all this is in preparation for 3950X launch, which is very likely to take the complete desktop/gaming performance crown away from all Intel CPUs (yes, including 9900KS)

Even if 3950X will not hit 5Ghz, it might get very close to it ( 4.9 on short bursts ), and with the higher IPC (of around 10%), that would require that 9900K(s) to be overclocked to 5.3-5.4 to match, and that's just golden sample clocks on high-end cooling, most people can't get past 5.2.

And having 16 cores is just the cherry on top, there will be NO benchmark in which any Intel consumer or HEDT CPU will have a clear win.

Oh and then Threadripper comes to completely obliterate everything in it's path...
    Exciting times !

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    MSI is deploying it now for B450 boards (none Max).