OUYA Tegra 3-based game console pre-order

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Aug 11, 2012.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    again, none of that means anything until it's confirmed.

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    and peoples 400 ~900$ gpu are put to waste cause of it. i tired of pc getting short end of the stick and i sure i not alone in thinking that

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    People with 400-900$ GPU's are put to waste because high end, graphic heavy games don't sell that well, you only have to look at Diablo3 to see how true that is.

The only games using DX11 these days are console ports and MMO's.

High end gamers, like the high end in any hobby will always be the minority, the sooner they realise that, the sooner they will stop getting disappointed all the time, if people start buying games then developers will start giving the PC more time, not the other way round.

This is a little cheap, standalone system for people to have fun on, and even mess about with, its not a hardcore serious gaming system, not is it aiming to be, so not sure why anyone could think this is a bad thing?

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    OnLive, Vemeo and a few others are confirmed....so long as Ouya gets released.

It's only a bad thing to those that think closed systems are so great. If this gets released and actually succeeds....it could potentially be a big blow to MS, Sony and Nintendo.

5. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Hold on does no one find it a little strange that 8 months from release they can turn round and just tack on a lump of extra hardware to allow support for Onlive? More importantly how does sticking hardware and software from a company who's interests lie in keeping how it's infrastructure works secret jell with a company who's console is meant to be totally open and hackable?

How? No one has actually answered this but since it runs Android an open source platform what is stopping Sony, MS or Nintendo from doing a firmware update and allowing their consoles to run Android games via emulation? The only reason I can see for them not doing it as yet is that their was no money to be made by them directly by allowing their consumers to play Android games on their home consoles. Sony have already teamed up with Google to allow such a feature on their Smart TVs, so it isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Simply being able to run Android games, doesn't make it an open system. Also keep in mind, Sony removed Linux support previously. So, why would they suddenly add support for it back to the playstation?

Also, OnLive has been part of it for quite a while.....actually, at least since the Kickstarter page went live. Since OnLive is a remote game streaming service, all that has to be added is software. Ouya specs already included network support.

7. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    This lil system cant compete withe BIG 3 Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. its hardware is weak and console gamers want eye candy graphics but not as good as High end PC and Sony and Microsoft will deliver.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Android isn't the reason why it's going to be successful if they launch it correctly. It's going to be the sub $100 pricepoint. Also they can't do it via emulation, try running an Android emulator on the SDK, it's slower as all hell on even computers light years ahead of performance than consoles.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    At one time, it was said that Sony couldn't compete with Nintendo and Sega....same was said of the Xbox competing against Nintendo and Playstation. It's all about launch and support. If the launch is done properly and there's enough supporting titles....it'll do just fine. Hell, wouldn't really take much to compete against Nintendo these days.

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    the downside will be running this on my TV. if i want to play an android game, I'll play it on my phone. i can be in my bed, watching light entertainment while playing games on my phone. i really can't see myself dedicating my time to playing android games on my TV. by the time this launches my phone will have a 4.8" screen or slightly bigger with enough horsepower to run these games. i just can't see myself coming home from work and turn on the ouya to have a session of android gaming. am i alone on this?

11. Belz

Belz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870 1GB
    Not just android gaming.
    You could theoretically play any game. Be it pc xbox or playstation.
    Of course you'd need a subscription to OnLive too.

The idea sounds nice.
    Sub-100$ media center with an open android os & an onlive terminal

12. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    They wouldn't just now but the debate is about the what if, if Ouya were to become a rival to the likes of Sony and MS then what is to stop them from adding the support?

Really how many of these consoles will sell on the back that you can make your own software on it, the SDK is out there already if you don't have it by now chances are a sub $100 console isn't going to suddenly make you want to use it.

Being open and free to develop for along with it's own SDK isn't going to win the market for OUYA it's going to be taking the gaming fight to Sony and MS, doesn't matter how free and easy it is to develop for if all the games that appear are generic five minute distractions that contain no long term content.

Really? I would Imagine Sony being one of the big electronic giants of the time and MS being one of the big software developers of time and both of them having a vast bottomless source of cash to help support their new launches might have had something to do with it as well. Double that for MS cause the XBox was less than a success and turned in to something of a money sinkhole, any other company would have dropped the console but MS had the cash to push to a second gen console and only then did it come good for them.

Also the fact that they are both recognised names with in the tech industry may help, that's fine though cause OUYA has the guy that helped design the JAMBOX, yeah I had to go and look up what a Jambox was too.

8million is all they have just now, MS spent 500million on advertising for the XBox alone.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    At the time the first Playstation launched, the only markets Sony was well known in was TV, VHS and audio. None of which they were "top dog" in. Most people didn't expect Sony to have any success in the console market against Nintendo, Sega and Atari. It's not always about how much you spend on marketing....it's how efficiently/effectively you market and what you have to offer at launch time.

If every startup looked at how much money their competitors had when they made the decision to enter a market....there'd never be any new companies.

14. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I'll get one just because of the XBMC support, but will need a UK supplier as after import tax etc it's pretty expensive.

15. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Fair enough, actually thinking on it the Ouya guys don't need to look at Sony and MS spending amounts, doing so would suggest they are in fact a potential competition but actually sitting here and thinking about it, they aren't, in fact a game console that plays Android games... does that make them competition for the tablet and smart phone market?

Is there really actually a market for the console at all? I guess when the console doesn't turn up in April and no one notices apart from the 70,000 odd people who were silly enough to kickstart the project we'll see!

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    That just turned me off of this console all together and i hope it crashes and burns