Outlast - a new Survival-Horror game by Red Barrels Games

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by The Michael, Oct 17, 2012.

1. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Didnt test it yet, but i did just found this here..
    Would be too easy, but looking at the steamForums its working...

And its also great that u can Modify it and not just turn it off or on :)

Greetz

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  2. prodigalson1

prodigalson1 Guest

GPU:
    3 x gtx titan
    don't work

3. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    well, it does change something. just test it with 1.0 for example and its all grainy...But it looks like that 0.0 = the same as standart in this game..i tried a negative value, but that didnt work :(

4. fluidz

fluidz Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Rtx 4080
    Laughing at some of the comments here, I was pretty much hiding in lockers for the first part of the game and not wanting to leave them. Playing with headphones in a dark room is a must as sound really does help immerse you in the horror.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Bunch of pussies. :bounce:

6. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Actually dongs, from the streams I've watched. There are bunches though.

7. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    I wish I could play this game in 3dvision.

8. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    You can, just enable it in OLEngine.INI where it say allow3DNvidiaVision=False.

9. Joohan

Joohan Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus AMD Radeon R9 Nano
    Actually changing that one line in the .ini doesn't make the game playable in 3D Vision. But there is a way to play this game in perfect 3D Vision. Download this archive: https://s3.amazonaws.com/-HeliX-/Outlast.zip

And unpack it to "\SteamApps\common\Outlast\Binaries" when it ask to replace Win32/win64 folders chose "yes".
    Keys:
    Key 1 - changing presets.
    Key 2 hold - low preset.
    Key 3 - changing camera UI presets.

It works for both win32/win64(test version).

I played through the game with his fix and the 3D is perfect. It made the game twice as intense and imo this is one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a long time. So I strongly recommend you try his fix out and play the game in 3D Vision if you have the hardware for it.

All credit goes to HeliX who has fixed several games for 3D Vision. In fact his site: http://helixmod.blogspot.fi/ is a must for anyone using 3D Vision. He is also working on a DX11 version of his wrapper and the first game to use it is Bioshock Infinity, which right now is in WIP status but the WIP fix is pretty much complete with just some minor issues, but the game itself is completely playable in 3D Vision with his fix. Also you should check out the official nVidia 3D Vision forums (https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/49/) in which there's a lot of useful information concerning 3D Vision and different games.

10. prodigalson1

prodigalson1 Guest

GPU:
    3 x gtx titan
    any news for disable grain filter ?

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    My binary folder didn't even have those 2 folders?

12. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1070
    Well you should enjoy Routine when it comes out......permadeath should add the scaryness you seek....

13. Joohan

Joohan Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus AMD Radeon R9 Nano
    That's weird as I and everyone else seems to have them. Maybe try re-installing the game or a at least patch it if you haven't already. Which store (Steam, etc.) did you get the game from? Maybe there are differences between different vendors? Although I'm against piracy, you could try a pirated version if that gives you those two folders as I don't really count it as piracy if you already own the legit non-pirate version of the game but it's missing some important stuff...

The fix I posted earlier works perfectly so if you have the hardware for 3D Vision, this game really benefits from it as not only is the atmosphere and graphics vastly superior, but the immersion 3D gives to this game is one of the best in a long time, so I really really suggest you try a couple of different methods I mentioned to get it working properly in 3D Vision. Also are you aware of the Helix blog? It's really essential for any 3D Vision gamer out there! I also suggest you visit the nVidia's 3D vision forums and another good place to get some info and some fixes is 3dsolutiongaming.com.

Good luck getting this great game (easily one of my favorites this year so far, another good one with a HeliX fix for 3D is Far Cry 3, the 3D with the fix is just flawless) to work in proper 3D Vision!:thumbup:

Too bad Amnesia A Machine for Pigs is an OpenGL beased game, is not 3D Vision compatible. It would had added so much for the game in all aspects. Hopefully the next game in the series moves to an DirecX based engine so we'd finally be able play one of these games in 3D.

If you didn't know this already, these 3D Vision fixes were only compatible with games that use DX9, but HeliX has been hard at work on a new DX11 based wrapper (with Bioshock Infinite being the first to get a working fix, which is still in WIP status but from what I've tested it, it's almost flawless with just some barely noticeable issues such as some far shadows in some scenes might have some clipping, but for all I know even those might have been fixed already, so I'm expecting a proper release of the fix quite soon, there also seem to be a fix in the works for Assassins Creed 3 from what I've read), so hopefully we'll be getting more and more fixes also for DX11 based games in the future. In the Helix Mod pages there are instructions on how to make you own fixes, so if your'e interested enough , I suggest you take a look at those as well.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Finished the game last night about 2 in the morning.
    Great game, absolutely loved it. And will be replaying it soon. :)

Performance wise I had no issues, with everything maxed it ran silky smooth and I forced AA through my control panel. The game looks gorgeous. Some of the facial animations can be a bit stiff (lip sync) but they still look great.

As for the game itself, I'll say (without going into spoilers) I love it... until the final section. Once you go to the final area I feel the game kind of falls apart. The ending area and the ending itself felt rather rushed and tacked on.

Also, the "Scariest" game ever? Don't know about that. My wife watched me play, she jumped a lot.. but got mad at me as I barely moved. The game has some amazing tension and some genuinely creepy moments.
    But, the majority of the big scare moments are all jump scares and I've never found those effective.
    There is this wonderful sense of dread and tension when you're trying to hide from enemies. But, it can be ruined by some questionable AI at times. How I could slip past a crazed patient in a pitch black hallway one second, then the same guy will see me at the other end of the hallway crouched in a pitch black corner.
    Overall it's a fantastic horror themed title. And one I'm way beyond glad was made and that I played it. I never felt bored, and the location was beautifully rendered to create a sense of realism and detail that's often missed in such games.

I do find it odd that a guy who does this kind of journalism wouldn't be able to pick up a pipe to try and defend himself. I know the whole "being unarmed" adds to the tension and makes the player feel more vulnerable.
    But, anyone, no matter their experience or ability would try to find something to protect themselves with. If it's effective or not is another story... but they would try.
    I love the camera and it's night vision function. The player movement, FBA... vaulting and climbing... is all great. But, some mechanic for defense... not so much to fight back or kill the enemies. But, some way to knock them back would be a bit more realistic.
    But, I did love in one case I was hiding in a bathroom. The enemy was standing in the doorway... his back to me. Complete blackness. So, I stood up... and slowly stepped towards him. With each step my character raised one hand up higher and higher. And when I was close enough... I could push him out of the way and take off running before he even knew I was there. :) Was awesome.

But, other then an incredibly weak ending... an amazing game.
    It's got me wanting to replay Condemned: Criminal Origins. :)

15. The Fitter

The Fitter Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 ti oc
    I started playing this game a few days ago and have honestly not got anywhere yet.
    Avoided watching any gameplay vids previously but have read a few reviews. Most people seem to be saying it only scares you with jumps. Well I dont know if thats the case for others but not me.

I can watch pretty much any horror film and not so much as flinch throughout, but this game I have to do in 10 min sections. I proper pants it. The tension is unreal.
    I am not even sure if I will ever play right through. As soon as I reload (generally having to replay 5 of my last 10 mins due to the save system) I feel my whole body tensing up.

For gods sake I'm 42 years old. I need to get a grip. I do wonder though, if the first time my character is killed, the game will lose an edge. This happened in amnesia dark descent. Which I might add scared me but not anything like this one.
    Finish it or not, I am glad to have this in my collection.

16. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    @The Fitter

I'm the same way. the game is fantastic but I haven't gotten very far. Usually I love games with jump scares but this one has just an overall really creepy feeling to it. The part in the sewer when trying to turn on the generator was really tense and I found myself hiding from the enemy more than actually trying to complete the objective.

Then I made a noise, enemy chased me, I got lost in the hallways and he killed me. :(

17. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Just finished the game, and wow it was a lot better than I thought it would be. Real tension, jump scares that aren't annoying, good sound design, etc.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I got to the part in the jail and couldn't find a way out, my brother told me where to look but after numerous searches of that particular place I still couldn't find it so I gave up, I get bored of games where you end up walking around in the same place for hours trying to find some exit

19. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Outlast: Whistleblower DLC Announced...

20. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    try playing this after seeing a youtube vid of some bloke playing a similar game using the oculus. Couldnt get into outlast after. The oculus vid alone was better than playing outlast on a monitor:(

I see someone mentioned Condemned: Criminal Origins. The only game to really scare me, so outlast and others are naturally going have a hard time in comparison, for myself atleast. I had to take breaks from CCO as i found it so nerve racking.

well... looks like im reinstalling it now.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014