Outlast - a new Survival-Horror game by Red Barrels Games

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by The Michael, Oct 17, 2012.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
  2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    No preload. Lame and sht.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    lol, what an reaction. You can buy it for story, atmosphere...dons't have to mean you will finish it in 5 hours.

Amnesia was short game too.

4. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB

5. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Found the segments where he tried to read out loud annoying, had to turn the video off. Does look like a good game though.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    I think it's too creepy for me lol.

I think i rather watch a Let's Play of someone else freaking out :p

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    The game can be installed now.

EDIT: Just finished tweaking the ini files as usual with UE3, pretty open so you can edit even AI and some other more advanced stuff which is unusual.

EDIT: Seems people are reporting low framerate, so far it runs at 60 max though Radeon Pro was not compatible with the game unfortunately.

Every UE3 tweak I tried seems to have worked which even includes altering texture resolution and bias which normally causes a black outline so that's a first for a UE3 game which is amazing.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I played about 20 minutes of this game before I had to quit because the loud sound effects and orchestral musical stabs kept making me yelp and jump. They're cliched scares but very effective in my case! I kept wishing my character would walk slower and quieter though...

I like that you have a physical body in the game world as it really makes me feel I am there and visually the game is pretty damn decent for UE3. It only needs better anti-aliasing really (a weak spot with most games that use this engine). The vid cam mechanic works very well, it has after all been used effectively in horror movies for years. Looking forward to playing more of it... When my nerves have calmed down a bit...

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Wow its so intense, I stopped when I had to hide in security office.. Too creepy to play at 3-4am :grin:

10. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    Yep, one of the games that if you need to go to the toilet before starting, then DO SO!
    Otherwise things can get messy fast.

Running with the camera while being chased and peeking backwards really adds to the game.
    Especially when you peek and see no one behind you any more only to let go of the look behind only to run in to some other psycho right in front of you.

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  12. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
  13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I found an AA flag that works great with Outlast (0x080000C1 from memory) so the game now looks nice and sharp and free from the nasty shimmering and jaggies that UE3 is infamous for.

The game gets pretty damn tense once you reach the generator and have to start hiding to avoid being killed. Not been able to fight back, except where scripted, might seem like an odd decision (why doesn't he hit back with the vid-cam for example?) but it does add to the feeling of dread when you're exploring. There's lots of dead bodies scattered around so with every one I'm half-expecting it to jump up at me, which keeps me right on edge. I can't think of a game where I've felt the need to close every door behind me just to feel a bit safer and the limited view of the vid-cam in night vision mode means I'm constantly looking behind me. I've also taken to creeping around in crouch mode because my character seems to make too much noise otherwise! Hell, the way he closes... sorry, slams doors makes me think he just asking to be killed! :D

I very creepy, atmospheric game so far. If I have one complaint, it's that I wish the enemy attacks were less scripted and more randomized so that I don't quite know what's coming if I die and have to replay from the last checkpoint. Once you know that a certain body is going to jump at you then the game looks much of its tension. I feel that the developers could have gotten around that by remixing things slightly every time you replay. For example, there are a lot of locked doors and, while I'm not sure if these unlock later on, if they don't then that would have been a perfect chance to have random batteries in them with the odd surprise attack or scare. I have the feeling that once you've finished this game that there isn't going to be much reason to replay it.

14. Fathom216

Fathom216 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia 980 GTX 4gb
    Darren, that flag either didn't work for me or my AA settings didn't jive with the game. You mind detailing your exact inspector settings for the game? Would be much appreciated, the jaggies are annoying. :)

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @ Fathom216 - I'm not at my home PC right now hence why the AA flag I gave may not be correct (it's the same one I'm using for Lost Planet 3 and a couple of other Unreal Engine 3 games, including Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, thoughs).

I simply created a new profile with NVIDIA Inspector called "Outlast" and then added the executable from the game's Binaries/Win64 folder, OLGame.exe or something, which is the same as the 32-bit one in the Win32 folder anyway. I then used the Override setting with 4xMSAA and 4xSGSSAA. That was all I did. It seemed to be working fine for me as there was the telltale white glitch right at the top of the screen. EVGA Precision X's OSD doesn't work with 64-bit executables unfortunately so I couldn't tell if it was blurry or not (SGSSAA blurs the OSD usually).

I'll post a screenshot of my profile later if you still can't get it working (since it has a very useful screenshot upload feature).

*EDIT 2*
    Confirmed, it is 0x080000C1 I'm using: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4649081&postcount=1329

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Performance in this game is just horrid and VERY erratic!

At max settings in game @ 1080p I get 60fps but it sinks to as low as 20fps in the second level when you exit the cell making the game unplayable. Mouse movements become extremely jerky and the horrible trail effect the graphics have in this game is just insane! I remember those effects from Amnesia Dark Decent and I turned them off straight away. Can't find anything that turns them off here. Also GPU usage is just low as well around 20-45% usage in this game. CPU usage is around 10% maximum ive recorded using HWMonitor.

Good game though, made me jump quite a few times, the game also hates you recording it, and also sometimes hate you ALT+TABBING out the game and back in. The games becomes a slide show when I do that for about a minute and then its back to normal.

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I haven't had any performance issues at all, CPC RedDawn; the game runs at a perfect 60 fps for me (at 1920x1200) and I have 4xMSAA/4xSGSSAA forced as well. I believe I'm playing the 64-bit build as EVGA Precision X's OSD isn't showing (it doesn't work with 64-bit games).

There is a 32-bit executable so you could try that to see if you get better performance from it. I presume that game automatically detects the operating system and uses the 32-bit or 64-bit version accordingly?

18. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    Finished it today, and I didn't have any performances issues (running at very high, 1920x1200 res).
    I love the graphical effect when you're using your camcorder (chromatic aberration?), I don't think I've ever used the "normal" view (not using your camcorder) when I played ^^

There has been a lot of work put on sound effects and musics. They are great.
    Textures are really nice too.

19. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    simply game of the YEAR for me, hands down.

second place Rome 2 (rome 1 was my favorite total war of all time) :D

impressed with Outlast to say the least.

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @ Fathom216 - Here's my Outlast profile:

[​IMG]