OSD/Off & On

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by A M D BugBear, Feb 10, 2020.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    I should have posted this long time ago but I will mention about this now, kinda way to late but please look into it.

Lets say my OSD is up and running fine on a particular game in general, if for any reason, while the game is still running in the background, I switch to windows mode, like ALT+Enter,etc, then go back to the game, I can NOT turn off the OSD, it is LOCKED, not only that, the benchmark doesn't even wanna come back on, its is dead LOCKED, the only solution for this is to X out the program(MSI Afterburner) then re-launch the program...

Thanks for reading, and again, something I should have brought up long time ago, this is happening from the latest stable build to god knows back when.

2. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    Which version of MSI AB and RTSS?
    Which game?
    Which video mode? D3D9, D3D11, D3D12, OpenGL, Vulkan, ...

Have you checked if there are any other active 3D Apps detected by MSI AB (clicking on the i and scrolling down in the dialog)?

Have tested this with Sims4, Farming Simulator 15/17/19, Assetto Corsa Competizione,... no problem on my side.

Just to get your steps right:
    1. You are in game (fullscreen)
    2. You switch to Desktop/Browser, game gets minimized
    3. You switch back to game (fullscreen)
    4. You set game to windowed mode
    and then the problem arises for you?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  3. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Been mostly messing with DX11 titles.

Lets say Rise of tomb Raider, I get on the game, start playing, then if for any reason, I may have to go into windows mode while the game is in background, then upon coming back to the game with fullscreen, this is where the OSD is dead locked, turning off and on = X, same goes for benchmarking, like min,avg,max fps and such = X.

I know its no biggie on my side, just wanted to bring it up, cause I am doing alot of stuff for my 4 gtx 970, been doing a 4-way sli project for quite some time, cause there is some games that I might have to start in borderless mode, then upon loading upon saved game, right before game is done loading, I have to go to fullscreen, this game is from bright memory, RE2 remake is another, so just wanted to bring this up.

Again thanks for the reply.

4. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    What exactly is "windows mode" to you?
    For me it is: Game is not running in (exclusive) fullscreen, but in a window, maybe even borderless.

edit
    hmmm... maybe you are describing a game in exclusive fullscreen mode, then you switch to desktop or a browser by hitting alt+tab.
    The game minimizes into taskbar and you can mess around with other programs.
    Then you'd like to switch back to the game and the osd is "locked"?

edit2
    Well, I do not own RoTR but I tested it with other games in DX11 and exclusive fullscreen.
    No problems with OSD for me switching to desktop and back to game. OSD still alive and reacts to hotkeys.

Still to answer:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020

5. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Sorry for the delay, and no, I only run one active program at a time.

6. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    Quoting three different questions and giving the answer "No" does not really clarify things.

And I didn't ask if you are running one active program at a time, but if MSI AB detects active 3D Apps other than your game.
    Please be more precise in your wording to avoid confusion.

7. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Ok, sorry about that, I see what your saying now.

I don't believe that there is another Active 3d apps while playing a particular game.

Could Steam itself cause this issue?

Like before, I don't really mind it really, was just a heads up on it.

8. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    So... you didn't check as I even wrote how to do it very quickly?

There are many Apps detected as 3D App (not so much anymore with latest RTSS beta) which are in no way producing any game related output, just by using some GPU or directX related featues...

So you don't mind wasting others time trying to help you, or even wasting unwinders time to investigate into something which you don't mind giving precise information? Well, hopefully you don't mind if from now on I stay away from this thread and don't waste my time on it.