OS recommendations.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Jimbo13, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Jimbo13

Jimbo13 Member

GPU:
    4870x2
    So I am absolutely disgusted and sick of Windows 7. A day doesn't pass when I can't play a game only a few years old or I have to spend 3 hours trying to unlock some file while windows tells me I'm not allowed to delete it.

My options are WinXP64 or Ubuntu.

E8600,
    Ati 4870x2
    8 gigs of ram.

So if I go with Win64 I don't even have service pack 3 and I know a lot of people run WINE and can get Window games going on Linux but my experience with the OS is limited.

I'd prefer to cut my lips entirely from the M$ succubus teet but what will I be losing if I make a final migration to Ubuntu as far as gaming and hardware utilization.

2. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    your obviously doing it wrong. W7 runs new and old games fantastic. I play everthing from original doom to any new game. even old nintendo games via emu.
    If you want to unlock a file. look into "Take ownership"

Linux gaming sucks. you can use WINE or Cedega, but expect far more problems than W7 giving you.

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If you want help sorting out problems, ask for help.
    Theres no way we can accept what you have said on face value.

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    something is wrong here
    what version of Win 7 did you tried ?
    getting games working using Wine is well,not as in Windows...if something fails,you need some Linux knowledge..tough Wine offers pretty good support.
    easier is to find something to blame than discover what is done wrong and find solutions
    ask and we will try to provide answers..

5. Jimbo13

Jimbo13 Member

GPU:
    4870x2
    Well as far as windows 7 denying permissions all the time,

I run as admin, only one user. I have lock hunter, unlocker 1.91 and a bat command script that grants admin full control right in my context menu and still routinely encounter locked files that require booting in to safe mode.

Due to the locked file errors every time Steam updates their client it fails to do so properly which leads to having to completely wipe steam which first involves deleting all the files manually in safe mode and moving my game backups manually and doing a fresh Steam install.

I've encountered the same trying to delete other, non gaming files. Mine is not a isolated issue with Windows7 as often as I research the problem I find similar posts all over the place.

Windows7 and or ATI combination also has errors with Quake based games specifically Jedi Outcast and TaitoX2 emulation again, fails on Windows7 even when ran in XP compatibility mode which I have yet to see ever solve a
    problem.

So back to XP64, how much hardware utilization am I losing from a downgrade and how big of a compatibility issue is being capped at DX9 vs DX10/11.

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    hmm XP64 is a step backwards,really i tried once and installed the original Farcry just to see what was all about ..i was rather disappointed
    i would rather run Linux x64 than that OS
    what version of W 7 did you have?
    what version of Catalyst have you installed?

7. humonculus1987

humonculus1987 Banned

GPU:
    evga GeForce GTX560 Ti
    Why do you have all those tools? Why not disable UAC? That solves your problem completely. My W7 64 bit is flawless I never had anything that didnt run. And booting into safe mode to delete something? WTF are you smoking? Are you sure your win7 isnt KIRF'd?

8. Jimbo13

Jimbo13 Member

GPU:
    4870x2
    I have Win7 pro, and my I always stay up to date with my drivers.

I might just dual boot XP for the stuff that craps on Win7 I just hate the clutter and segmenting my system like that. And I do have UAC off, if a file was ever set with security permissions it doesn't matter.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If you arent worried about local (not network) file security, when installing Windows 7, choose to format the drive with FAT32.
    This will remove all file permission problems.

You may be limited to 127GB partition size, I'm not sure (for the FAT32 OS partition).
    You can use NTFS for other partitions as you wish.

This post describes a problem you might encounter during install.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/66325-booting-windows7-fat32-3.html#post593715

10. Jimbo13

Jimbo13 Member

GPU:
    4870x2

Installing Win7 on a FAT32 nerfs UAC? I'm sold.

11. humonculus1987

humonculus1987 Banned

GPU:
    evga GeForce GTX560 Ti
    FAT32 sucks dick. Super slow too! Lets hope you dont download any games. You have to be the only one on the planet with these problems. I have NEVER had problems with deleting files or modifying them. Never had any problems period with windows 7. It all lies within the user.

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

12. Jimbo13

Jimbo13 Member

GPU:
    4870x2

Yeah it's only me...

That's why they're are dozens of apps and bat file context menu short cuts for deleting files & taking ownership.

http://preview.*********com/3bakeg9

Someone should tell all the tech blogs to stop doing articles on fixing this problem and reviewing apps that track down the arbitrary file locks Windows 7 only throws out on my system.

I hardly feel 149 million hits on the topic is warranted for just my problem.

It's extremely common, if you brought over old files from XP Window's 7 detects it as owned by a "Phantom" user and wont allow you to access it even win UAC off and logged in as admin.

http://superuser.com/questions/60700/how-do-i-get-permissions-to-delete-files-on-windows-7

I don't think FAT32 is going to work, I deal with files over 4GB all the time, most games are 7-8 now days.

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    IF what your doing doesnt work, then do something different.
    Maybe you should do a full format and reinstall with a full version.

ok well stop doing that. i didnt even know you could upgrade from an XP, i thought you had to have Vista but whatever, do something different.

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Game files will never exceed 4GB in size.
    Any files larger than 4GB can be put on an NTFS partition/drive.

What are you on about?
    FAT32 performance is fine.
    It has no security tokens and is limited in maximum partition size and 4GB file size on the OS partition.
    If none of those matter, its fine to use.

15. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    uac off gives u troubles if u dont run everything as admin

16. humonculus1987

humonculus1987 Banned

GPU:
    evga GeForce GTX560 Ti
    Extremely common but I've never even HEARD of it? And why would you bring your XP files over? Just download new ones. What are you trying to do exactly? So I can try it. Or did you just try to upgrade your XP to 7? If you did that you're retarded.

17. suture

suture Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    Win7 Ultimate without a single problem
    Most stable and compatible O.S. ever

Just nerf UAC to minimum in user settings and you should be fine.
    Another usefull tip, sometimes installing programs/games in a misc folder instead the regular windows programs folder can probably ignore some problems, not enterely sure tough, never had those problems.

Everything runs smoothly :)

But i dont recall having such problems

18. Jimbo13

Jimbo13 Member

GPU:
    4870x2
    Unfortunately you can't install Win7 on FAT32, only from.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Did you click the link in post #9?

20. blitze

blitze Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 4870 1GB PCS+
    Have you thought about changing either folder permissions where you are installing your games or creating a folder in your Documents Folder for installing games? Permissions then not an issue. It obviously sounds like you shouldn't be screwing around with UAC as you seem to have no idea how to deal with it and most likely will fall victim easily to software from which UAC was brought in to control.

Just a thought. Win 7 is the best OS for gaming there is out there. Unfortunately as I would love to see some real alternatives and competition based on open standards (LOL DREAMING ON). Anyway, learn how to use it or give up gaming and just use Linux.