Origin Uninterested in Offering Steam-Like Sales

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by lucidus, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I don't even use an optical drive in my new PC, and it had nothing to do with a supposed 'FAD'. I wasn't even aware that it was common. I chose to go without one because I've genuinely not used the opitical drive in my main PC for years. I buy almost everything digitally - and don't mind waiting on sales. I don't need to rush out to buy all the newest titles, so there's no actual saving on buying retail.

Not to mention I don't want my space taken up by DVD boxes / CD's etc. The rare time I do use optical media, it's to rip onto a storage drive on my file server before being put away in the loft. Optical media for many is just becoming out-dated, and not just because of supposed laziness.

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Technically you don't even need an optical drive as you can register the serial number then throw the game away, it might be a waste but that is what i do as i don't need the case/disc afterwards.

Optical media is becoming inconvenient for many, not out-dated, digital sales when talking about movies/music is all about making things easier, but with a quality compromise, PC games have also affected by this albeit to a lesser degree.

Digital Distribution is popular though, but that is why Cloud gaming services are likely to take off in the future, and will likely be another service to push HQ services like PC gaming even further down the priority ladder.

3. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I generally get my max download speed when downloading from Steam / Blizzard / GoG. It's literally faster for me to download a game to play than it is to install from the disk, so yes - I'd still say optical media is quickly becoming out dated for many. Not everyone is in that position, and download speeds aren't always perfect. But more often than not, that's the case for myself, and I imagine many others.

It takes up space for no reason other than to look good, and I've never found dvd covers visually appealing personally. The end result when using the software is the same. On the other hand, I support book publishers and have a large collection of books that I favour over ebook alternatives. I like the feel of the paper in my hand, I even like the smell. It offers something different to the digital alternative. Games, in my opinion simply do not. Maybe if the retail offered extras much the way games of old did - I remember buying Ultima 9 only to find a cloth map inside. The same stood for a number of other PC games. Now you get a disk and CD code you register the game with. Even the manuals are usually on disk now, you used to get War and Peace with every boxed copy of a title.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  4. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    This is why I love DD though, for me £5 game on Steam > £5 retail because I have it in a library and can download and install when I need, ofcourse the problem arise when Steam (and other DD programs) think that £40 game on Steam (origin etc) > £20 game retail

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah me too, that is why i register the serial and download it, i'm just not going to pay more to do the exact same thing.

lol, don't get me started on the manual thing, bloddy pdf on a disc, so yeah i agree there aren't many incentives from dev's other than maybe CDP Red, but that is because publishers make more money via digital, so want to push people in that direction,
    Max Payne 3 showed up that not that as many people as i thought are ready for it though, PC games should be at least that size as standard, as should lossless audio.

6. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Of course, that's why I avoid buying games on launch unless they're very well priced. Not to mention the other obvious issues you get from playing games on release. I used to love going into retail game stores, but over the years the staff working in the places in my local area seemed to severely go down hill, the fratbox attitude became more common.

More often than not the PC section would be tiny, and the prices were often just as inflated as the DD version unless the game was ancient. You add that to the fact DD does often offer a better service, even if it occasionally comes in the form of large price reductions in sales of titles that are over priced to begin with. You throw in the retail version offering nothing extra other than a disk and box that will take up space? Of course you can buy boxed copies online, but it feels like such a waste of time to buy a game online, then have to wait for it to be delivered. I just can't see the point in optical media anymore, outside of huge price differences or slow / capped internet policies.

Hah, the last retail product I bought was from CDP Red.

Also, I have to agree there. Lossless etc should be standard, but that means you have to be prepared for large download sizes. I imagine a lot are, but for some downloading a game over the 10 gig mark seems to be overly daunting.

7. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    Ah yeh I get you, yeh my fave types of games are those that you can buy retail and add to Steam (make all games Steamworks please :p). I buy most EA games retail too, cos I figure I may as well have a disc and digital copy, did this with ME3

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's true that steam preys on people's impulse purchase instinct but I for one appreciate their sales. After all, if a game can't recover costs and make a profit in the first fortnight then it won't.
    It's either torrent or steam. Here's an example of my local market - Portal 2 PC AED 219 ($59 http://www.geekaygames.com/pc-games/portal-2.html) or console games for $70.

9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    What an excellent way to attract customers; "We know that sales and low prices are bad for you, trust us and pay more!"

10. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    If i was a prolific conspiracy theorist, i'd say that Origin was made by product of a pact between Valve and EA to artificially increase Steam's good image and ammount of users. Really.

Ther was this Gamasutra article that had several indie devs (the ones who actually have the balls to quote numbers when saying stuff unlike some publishers) talking about how their "75% off sales" in Steam went and how the "if we make sales, no one would buy at launch price!" didn't affected at all their normal ammount of sales.

It said more or less that people who would buy the game at full price will buy it at full price as soon as possible whereas people wich buys the game when the price slashes arent that likely at all to buy the game at full price anyway. So they win more by more or less selling their product to both kind of people by taking advantage of ocassional sales.

Its a battle between "I need this game now" and "I'll wait and see what's what".

11. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    EA Uninterested in Making Money

sure seems like it...

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    In other news a studio has a 50-75% sale going on today on Steam :p

13. Jayaitch

Jayaitch Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 460

I expect to get a telling off here for this, but at the moment I it would be Origin. I am starting to like the service and there support have been really good.

Steam is really starting to get on my nerves, with the free games filling up your damn game library. The hats on EVERYTHING, the constant community instability and errors :bang:

Steam is more like a run down penny market and needs to get some self respect.

(Personal Opinion)

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

[​IMG]

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Free games in your library? You mean the weekend free to play which happens every now and then or the freemiums like Monday Night Combat? :-S

16. Jayaitch

Jayaitch Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 460
    No I mean all those annoying Free 2 Play MMOs and other Junk.

& HATS!, God damn HATS!

But in all fairness, Steam has done some great things for Pc gaming (imo) - But I believe they need to step up and fix alot of things on their platform.

Could be that as more users become active, strain kicks in on the community/downloads etc.

But it has been driving me crazy the past few days.

And the DAMN HATS!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  17. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I have not once seen a free to play MMO appear in my steam list unless I selected it. I think your just making issues out of nothing. You say they need to fix thing on their platform? Please elaborate because I see nothing wrong. Just so you know if your getting slow downloads you can change servers........

18. Jayaitch

Jayaitch Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 460
    I have been having alot of issues with the community section of Steam, friends not showing on my profile, profiles not loading, XID error messages, its not just me though there are plenty of other forum posts in the Steam Community section.

As for the free games, my profile says I have 137 games, I actually only have around 72 (Inlcuidng DLC) - so yes they do add the free stuff to your library

-------

How can I put it so that this "Element" of the thread does not get dragged on for pages....

Steam to me = meh at best at the moment

Except it.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  19. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    I buy so many games on steams super sales I've not even played a lot of them just bought them on impluse because they were £3 ect

So I do see what they are saying but I do think sales are still needed 25% 50% ect as they can get you to buy something you were not 100% sure about yet end up enjoying a lot.

20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Do you have all the free games listed when you select all games ?