Origin allegedly breached

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by styckx, Jun 13, 2014.

1. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    Way to overreact PhazeDelta1 HAHA.

2. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    More like just random generate trash junk base on four web base email address gmail.com, hotmail.com, yahoo.com and live.com not one reg ISP is even in it.

3. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Good thing I'm not on that stupid sh!tlist. :banana:

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    It appears I'm not on the list. However, I've been trying to change my origin password for a couple months now and can't because for whatever stupid reason my security question (and only that) is in chinese. I used google translate to figure it out (it says "which are your primary school") but my answer doesn't work. Pretty weird.

5. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I don't like Origin and stopped using it anyway. If I want an EA game i'll just get the console version. The hackers can have my Origin account for all I care.

6. readonly

readonly Guest

GPU:
    Leadtek LE TD GF4 TI4200 128MB O/C'd to 305/550
    No one actually believes this **** right? Just so happens every email has a corresponding hotmail, gmail and yahoo address with an almost identical password?

7. Tarkan2467

Tarkan2467 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    I'm not on the list but my Origin password was reset yesterday without explanation. Fortunately I was able to reset my password a second time and it appears no harm was done.

Doesn't mean their claim is legitimate - it could be coincidence. The timing matches, though.

8. Rugburn

Rugburn Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX1080 Ti FTW3
    I was not on that list.. I reset my pw just in case and added additional verification requirement at login..

9. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    What list is this?

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well i just checked my email activity and i have multiple sign in attempts from Peru, USA, China, Mexico, UAE, Cambodia, and so on, all which seem to have started on the 2/6/2014.
    [​IMG]

Obviously i just spent a few hours changing everything associated with that email just to be on the safe side, i don't know if this is because of this breach or some other, but at least it got my attention.

11. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    How do you check email activity like that?

12. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Go to account settings(Top right), then pick recent activity(Top left).

13. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    You mean with the Origin program? I don't see it on that or the website. Bed time I think lol.

[​IMG]

14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    No on hotmail, that email is also my Origin email, that has all the attempts to log in.
    But as is said, i have no idea if this breach is true or not, but it did have a positive effect as it had me checking my email and my security. :)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  15. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Oh I see. Dohh. Definitely time for bed. I am in the process of changing all my passwords too. Gonna take a while!

16. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    There's a lot better email services that have been popping up in the last few years (some cause of the NSA hype), but they're all a hell of a lot more secure and private than hotmail.

https://beta.startmail.com/
    https://protonmail.ch/
    https://countermail.com/ (I use this. I'm fine with 4 bucks a month for email)

https://duck.co/help/features/email

17. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3070 LP
    LOL what a fake list that has been made and everyone goes into panic mode.

Yes companies sometimes do not take security seriously enough and i can name a few.

But unlike some i know i am safe. Two step authentications on all my Game Clients and all my e-mail systems. So if you do not have my Device you can't get in.

Even my Origin account is two stepped and its not even done via e-mail!! but what really gets my goat is all these wanabee hackers i can make a list that might look promising and just munch a few passwords from a password dictionary.

All Game Clients this includes origin has a way to secure your account, use them.

Steam has steam guard which now even hackers are after just one file from your drive to gain access to your account, Origin as Security Questions, Generated backup codes, E-mail verification etc as well as SMS verification.

The more people that start two auth stepping the better.

18. Fierce Guppy

Fierce Guppy Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 (10GB)
    I had to change my passwords for 150+ sites just over a month ago when my laptop was taken during a home burglary. I have the old and new passwords. So if my email & password were in that list, I'd know for sure if it was a fake. Only I can't find that text file. It keeps getting removed.

Edit: Oh, the file wasn't removed. Free Download Manager was acting up. Neither of my email addresses are in that list and it definitely DOES look fake. Perhaps it is due to some astoundingly amazing coincidence that I am the only one who's registered with Origin that uses a dot my name i.e., gob.stopper@ toe.jelly111@ etc... The guy who worked on the email generator is a simpleton.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  19. Fierce Guppy

Fierce Guppy Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 (10GB)
    I'd be very dubious about anyone claiming they've found their email address AND password in that list. I'd strongly suspect them to be arseholes engaging in a bit of scaremongering

20. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3070 LP
    Yep the Good old scare monger trick, then its wackout a hosts file injector to then redirect the traffic to OriginPishing site and then they get the real info.

They did it with ebay when ebay was requesting people to change their passwords after a breach, to which i had a testing VM setup ready to watch the next move which was guess what a Windows hosts file injector to divert the real traffic to a pishing site to then get the passwords that way. No only that loads of pishing e-mail came through and the ejits thought that encoding the whole E-mail into base64 (Which is by the way so easy to detect and decode as the off the shelf pishing hacks are just poorly made).

Its about time that Companies step their game up for one and that Law enforcement start tracing down and taking these sad acts to a nice Cell.

So me personally would say only this,

This so say breach will now be on most blog sites etc so the scaremongering has started, Just be careful in what you do next if your going to change your password for Origin do it via the client not the website. If you get a E-mail from so say Origin team view the source code of the E-mail and then trace the E-mail back to its source (not that hard to do).. Then for the sake of your account security start using Two Step Authentication!

One last thing make sure your Anti-virus is upto date!