Ordered Another PC! What do you think?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Slient Bob, May 18, 2008.

1. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    It's a great setup and will play anything today and you can always upgrade the GPU if you need to later on, I myself would buy a cheap 3870 which can play anything for under 100 and wait until the new cards are released soon.

2. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    9800GX2 - 24" Dell 2408WFP

Thanks again! I possibly should have just got a cheap 8800GT and replaced it straight away but to be honest a 9800GX2 will probably last me for a good year or 2 if it stays problem free!

Whats the XFi Gamer like? I was looking at the fatality sound cards and to be honest I just wasn't taken in by all the 64MB Xram or whatever they hyped it up as!

3. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    How big a difference in performance is there between 6400 and 8500 speed memory?

I paid more for 4GB of 8500 memory but does it make much difference?

Also, with 4 X 1GB, is it likely to affect the chances of the CPU getting overclocked to 3.4GHz?

4. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    I recently blew up 4 1Gb sticks of 1000Mhz ram and a motherboard and my pc shop couldn't get the sticks I had any more so they replaced them with 2 x 2Gb sticks of 800Mhz ram with similar timings as my other sticks. I can overclock in 1-1 ratio to 3.8Ghz which brings the ram up to about 840Mhz and I end up with a better Vantage score than with my old 4 x 1Gb sticks at higher frequency.

Basically, you will only notice a difference if you intend to overclock so far that you need to loosen your ram timings on the 800 sticks. If i want to oc to 4050Mhz then I need to loosen my ram to CAS5 rather than its rated CAS4. It's no big deal really.

5. Slient Bob

Slient Bob Master Guru

GPU:
    So given that I dont plan to overclock Ive basically just wasted money?

Oh wel, nothing I can do now! I would just hate to think that paying extra for faster RAM may in the end mean they dont oveclock my CPU to the 3.4GHz that they advertise!