Opty on Asus A8N-SLI?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Finny, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX260 core 216 soon
    Just as the title says, I was looking to see if i could put in an opty on an asus A8N SLI vanilla. It says Athlon 64's, 64 x2's, and Fx's. But i was wondering if just because the opty is Socket 939 it would work anyways.... BTW, is it even worth the extra to get an opty if i can just get an x2 3800+ and overclock that too? Like, what kind of overclocks do the x2's get? I know the optys can go 3ghz plus....

2. atomicskis5

atomicskis5 Master Guru

GPU:
    msi 4850
    I have an asus a8n sli with an opty 165, and they run flawless, stable at 2.5(havent gone higher yet, got it last week). I would go for it if you are looking to buy.

3. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    The Opterons have the same cores as the other Athlon 64 processors, just slightly different memory controllers. So yes, an Opteron would work. A 3800 is good, but an Opteron 165 has double the cache and overclocks higher on average. Most of the current ones are reaching between 2.7 and 2.9 on good air cooling with the 'bad ones' reaching 'only' 2.6, the same speed as the FX-60. They also require less voltage to overclock than the X2 series.

4. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    I'd personally just switch to Intel at this point...

5. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX260 core 216 soon
    I dont wanna upgrade my system (motherboard and ram mostly) for a long time. I'm guessing I'm gonna upgrade to an 8800gts or a similar ATI card THEN buy that opty and an even better card, (being that actual cpu limitation is barely noticeable at 1080p resolutions..... And finally next year probably upgrade the ENTIRE system.