Opty 170 OCing woes

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by -=Fallscrim=-, Jul 31, 2006.

1. dune2

dune2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Titan X Aqua
    Fallscrim, when you overclock via FSB, theoretically all components which run via this bus speed get raised accordingly. That includes the PCI-(e)-bus, etc, on which your sata-controller runs. Most mobos (yours too, I'm sure) have bios options to fix these speeds to a certain MHy-level. Have another look in the bios and check to ensure you have locked them. Otherwhise, your sata-controller, usb-controller and network-controller may be pushed to far. That may very likely cause IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error messages.

Also, when you have the patience to do so, raise the fsb in smaller steps between 2.6 and 2.7 GHz to pinpoint exactly where it goes haywire. My cpu can run 2.7GHz with high temps, and that's supposed one of those 2.8GHz steppings, so nothing is ever certain (unfortunately :( )

2. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti

synchronis (problably not spelling it right, anyone feel free to correct me :) ) is where the fsb and the ram bus are clocked the same 1:1. asynchronis is obviously then when they are different...

What I was wandering is if you had trouble if you locked your ram at where it's spec was (200 for ddr400/pc3200 ect.)

sounds like you hit all the timings and voltages, but it maybe your ram doesn't like to be overclocked as high as your fsb has to be to get that kinda speed... Sorry if you tried that already and I just missed it... :bang: :)

3. -=Fallscrim=-

-=Fallscrim=- Member Guru

GPU:
    3D Fuzion 7600GT@610/1620
    Cheers Dune - as I say, I understand that raising the fsb affects all components (unless locked), but had been thinking in terms of the Northbridge/RAM as my area of fault instead of Southbridge/SATA controller as you pointed out.

I had locked out the PCI-E straight away when I started OCing, but then had not thought about the other Southbridge components. Thanks for the tip. Will be sure to lock them out as soon as I get home and try that :D

And I have been raising the fsb in small increments, dont think I was going in up in 10mhz increments (a noob I may be, but not that much). Its literally at 2.69-2.7ghz it screws up.

4. omega_1

omega_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    7600gs 256mb
    I dunno if its me having a a64 winny..but 1.43v seems low....but then again I dont think that would produce a BSOD....try 1.45-1.5v and see..

5. -=Fallscrim=-

GPU:
    Ok so last night after work I tried the settings prescribed by Craptacular. These allowed me to boot into windows with no probs, so cheers for that.

However, I failed stress prime again and again after about 5-10 seconds.

I tried a range of CPU voltages (1.475-1.6) and RAM voltages (2.8-2.95), but nothing helped. Then I noticed a setting called DDR Clock Skew in the BIOS, that was set Auto, beneath which it had the value 450ps, whatever that means. Since nothing should really be left on auto when OCing, I set it to Normal, and low and behold, I could run Stress Prime for much longer. However, it still fails after about 5-10minutes.

Given this, I cant help but think its still my RAM causing a problem in one way or another. So does anyone know what DDR clock skew does and what I should be setting it too?

Oh yeah - and set the Nb->SB freq to 200. Im pretty sure this will solve any worries about OCing Southbridge components, since I couldnt find any specific SATA/USB/Network speed settings.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  6. OK so you just can't get it stable now is the problem? Do you have a setting to adjust your DRAM Drive strength? If so set it level 8 or the highest setting your mobo allows. Also in your bios, is PEG Link enabled? If so dissable that too. It could also be a temp issue at this point, what are they?

7. -=Fallscrim=-

GPU:
    Cheers for the reply craptacular.

Temps are in the mid 40 degrees at 2.7 so I'm assuming its not that. (under load)

PEG Link I have seen so I can go straight in and disable that. I think Ive also seen DRAM drive strength in one section so that should be easy to find.

Any idea about what I should be setting my DDR Clock Skew too, cos its clearly having an effect somewhere in the proceedings.....

8. You can leave DDR clock skew to normal. And temps should be fine if that's load temps, if it's idling in the mid 40's your block is not seated properly.

9. -=Fallscrim=-

GPU:
    Okay, so I disabled PEG Link last night and that gave me 100% stability at 2.7ghz with the following settings:

FSB = 270
    Multi = x10
    Cpu Voltage = 1.5v
    Mem Divider = 333mhz
    Mem Voltage = 2.8v
    Chipset Voltage = 1.6v

I looked for DRAM driving strength, but when I looked at it, the only options I had were Normal and Weak, so I left it on Normal.

It becomes unstable again past 2.75ghz, so any suggestions for getting to the magic 2.8ghz?

10. Hmm, it would appear that your CPUs stepping is not of the "prefered" ones:( but try this none the less....

FSB = 280
    HTT = x3
    CPU v = 1.55 (maybe even 1.59)
    RAM = 133
    RAM v = 2.8
    Chipset v = 1.6
    Ram Timings = 3-4-4-8

11. -=Fallscrim=-

GPU:
    Cheers again Craptacular, I have tried those settings already tho

I understand that I may not be able to go much further with this stepping, but up until now,its been a random mobo setting rather than a voltage/speed issue that has caused problems.

Ive also got a whole raft of RAM options available to me that I dont understand, so they are set to auto atm. I would have to admit that when it comes to the memory side of things, I'm a bit out of my depth. Any advice for settings there that might offer me better stability?

Cheers for everyone's help at this point by the way - this has been my first proper OC rig, and its good to be able to learn from everyone else's experience.

12. If you have the option make sure your ram idle cycle limit is set to 016 instead of the default 256.