1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

optimal power or adaptive?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by alexander1986, Aug 26, 2016.

1. alexander1986

alexander1986 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    in the nvidia driver controlpanel you can choose adaptive, optimal power, or maximum performance in power management, right now ive set it to optimal power as it had the nvidia default logo on it, but is adaptive or maximum performance better? worse? why? :p

thanks!

2. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080Ti
    i use optimal power set as global, and prefer maximum performance for each game profile.

3. alexander1986

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    nice, what is the advantage of that compared to just keeping optimal power as global?

4. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080Ti
    when driver detects 3D application running and prefer max performance is enabled, GPU will run at higher base clock and will not go below that clock until 3D application is closed. In many games this gives smoother framerate because GPU doesn't downclock so much.

for example:

with optimal power: you are playing a game and GPU is running at 1200-1400Mhz depending on situation. you pause the game and GPU down clocks to 300Mhz, you continue playing and GPU might take some milliseconds to clock back to 1200-1400Mhz creating slow down/stutter.

with prefer max performance: game is running at same 1200-1400Mhz range, but when you pause the game GPU down clocks to 1100Mhz and not lower, so when you continue playing transition is a lot smoother.

this is just simple example, in reality this happens during gameplay also and that's why i like to use max performance in games because it gives a lot smoother experience.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016

5. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    This makes sense but I've always wondered how much of this is placebo - I'd be interested if there was actually ANY documented evidence vs setting pref max perf 'just to be safe'

6. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080Ti
    not a placebo at all. it all depends on how sensitive you are to framerate fluctuations. also it varies greatly from game to game, some games are fine using adaptive/optimal power setting, but others have really bizarre slow downs and fps fluctuations. that's why i just set max perf for all my games and forget about it.

7. alexander1986

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    sweet, thanks !

8. ai-man

ai-man Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080 Strix
    GTA5 is a good example of this, just going from the map back to the game caused clock/fps fluctuations when i played it last.

9. TheRyuu

TheRyuu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Just leave it on default (which is optimal). On the rare off chance it causes problems you can adjust the game profile but this should not be needed in 99.99999% of cases.

Just to state the same thing another way, if you set it to max performance there will be literally no difference in your gaming experience. If there actually is then you should prove so objectively using presentmon with frame timing measurements.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I still only use max performance globally, it down clocks the gpu to idle when on the desktop, this way i dont have to worry about driver deciding what need full clocks and what dont, I never liked that function. great power saving function for laptops but for desktop cards I dont see the point,