Optical fromats and gaming

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by TracesofCopper, Feb 1, 2010.

1. TracesofCopper

TracesofCopper Member

GPU:
    280GTX WB OC
    Optical formats and gaming

Some Info please.

I've been trying to find Information all over the Internet about this and I even did searches on the forum, but I can't seem to find out exactly how these different formats work.

Now bear with me here as I'm still fairly new to the PC sound thing. The different digital standards themselves are fairly easy to understand, but exactly how they work with PC audio and specifically games Isn't so straight forward.

From the little Info I could find about these and PC audio cards leads me to think that these formats (DDL&DTS I/C) use either software or hardware decoding to work? The article on Wiki says that DDl Is a real time hardware encoding technology as Is DTS I.

So I'm assuming, that If what I read Is correct, that most new audio cards can decode through hardware, and older cards used some sort of software decoding? Am I also correct In the aspect that some of these cards can output these standards through analog? Not sure on that last assumption as I've seen some stating this Is so. Another thing, does EAX work together with any of these standards?

I'm an analog person myself and still think It's superior to most digital standards but, you just can't play games like Bioshock In two channel mode, that would be like swearing In church...It's just not done.

One more thing, the STX uses hardware decode for DDL right? Not sure as I've seen some state It uses software,and why doesn't the STX support DTS I?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    OK, the digital standard is called S/pdif. It's native format is only 2.0 stereo.
    For game you have surround sound so you need the DDL or DTS-C encoder to take the audio and encode it in real time to either DD or DTS. Your mixing up encoding and decoding.

to explain it simply,
    5.1 on the cards digital output is ENCODING
    5.1 on ths cards digital input is DECODING.

The STX was built for analog sound, DDL is just an add on. It would be a serious waste of audio quality to use DDL on that card. You would need a seriously high quality receiver or digital speaker system to surpass the DAC quality on the STX. Meaning, a digital connection on this card will probably be a downgrade depending on what your connecting it to.
    However, it is there if you want it and yes any effect will still be encoded through the S/Pdif output.

3. TracesofCopper

TracesofCopper Member

GPU:
    280GTX WB OC
    Thanks Rob

I don't know If you misunderstood my post but, I only use DDL for certain games like Bioshock that have amazing multi-speaker effects or for FPS's, any other time I use analog.

I was also surprised to see an option In Bioshock for native digital. I wonder how many games do this? I've only ever used analog before since digital usually sounds crappy to me, so I don't know If other games use this or not?

The last thing, do these standards work through analog outputs? I've seen some stating It does, but that doesn't make much sense to me as since It's a digital standard, and I would think this kind of silly going from A/D and back.

Just an aside, I'm trying to find usable Info on the IEC 61937 standard as this clears up allot of questions.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    Xonars can emulate eax 5 thru DSGX 2.5, now if a game uses eax3 or 4 the xonar DSGX can not emulate eax3 nor 4.

5. TracesofCopper

TracesofCopper Member

GPU:
    280GTX WB OC

I think you misunderstand what DS3D GX or Direct Sound 3D Is. It's Asus's version of the old Direct sound for windows, or In other terms, it's Asus's Alchemy.

http://usa.asus.com/FeatureList.aspx?PG_ID=deBXUzMkKnQuGLGK&F_ID=330

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  6. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    Actually I didn't misunderstood the purpose of DSGX besides what you said. it can emulate EAX5, thats the other part of DSGX/GX mode function. If you turn off DSGX/GX mode it disable the EAX5 emulation. It also converts openAL calls into something that the card can use as well. Some people doesnt know that DSGX 2.5 has EAX5 emulation functions. Asus add that to DSGX when they they created DSGX 2.5 which was the start of EAX 5 emulation. Before it was DSGX 2.0 which didnt have any EAX 5 emulation.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes, all EAX effects etc will work if you use digital. How do you figure it is going fro A/D and back again? The audio never goes analog until it goes to your speaker system -if your using digital.
    You seem like your a bit mixed up on what is going and and when it is happening. All audio in the PC is digital....game audio, applied effects etc...it is all stil in digital format. If you use analog out of the soudncard the audio is converted at the last minute. If you go digital output from the soundcard nothing changes aside from where it is converted.

8. TracesofCopper

TracesofCopper Member

GPU:
    280GTX WB OC
    Yah, I been trying to find accurate Info about these formats and It seems I'm not the only one confused.

There's allot of crazy Info on the net. What I'm trying to say Is some people were stating you can use formats such as DDL/DTS over an analog output or by not using S/PDIF,which did not make sense to me.

I caught that last bit about EAX In your last post In the second reading, so sorry for making you state that twice.

Yes, I'm confusing myself here just a little:boozer: and I'm going a little :banana:'s

9. TracesofCopper

TracesofCopper Member

GPU:
    280GTX WB OC
    Yah, you confused me when you said DS3D/GX could not use EAX 3 or 4

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    OK, there is Dolby Digital (DD) and there is DTS....both are surround encoding routines for audio. So say you play a DVD that has Dolby DIgital or DTS, this will give you surround audio that has been encoded in either DD or DTS....outputted over analog.

Now, the Dolby Digtial LIVE and DTS-Connect encoders take any audo sent to the card and encode it to either Dolby Digital or DTS...the audio still ends up being analog in the end but this is the way they are encoded. Does that makes sense to you?

11. TracesofCopper

TracesofCopper Member

GPU:
    280GTX WB OC
    So your saying that If I play a DVD with AC3 encoding, It will work over a RCA connecter (not S/PDIF/TOSLINK), or with a computer TRS connecter?!

What I've been saying the whole time Is that some people were saying they were using a digital sound out with the old TRS three way. Sheesh:3eyes:

I was never talking about the actual digital conversion that happens from 0's and 1's to an analog wave.

All I wanted to know was how gaming sounds worked with digital out or S/PDIF/TOSLINK, such as EAX. If those type of processing effects didn't work over a digital connection then I would have to get a new card to use with Win 7 since the only way to get multichannel for gaming out of the STX was....digital. Thanks for being so patient anyway, your awesome dude!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No it won't work that way, but if your speakers are plugged into into the 5 jacks in the back of your soundcard they will still output AC3 as long as your soundcard can decode Dolby Digital. It's no different to your home theater receiver decoding AC3 then sending it out through your speakers.

s/pdif or a TOSLINK cable is used when you enable passthrough mode on your soundcard (if it supports it).
    This means the bitstream is passed through the soundcard untouched to an external receiver where the decoding takes place.

13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes, what he said.