1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

opinions please

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by kmufc77, Jul 17, 2009.

1. kmufc77

kmufc77 Master Guru

GPU:
    6970 Lightning
    i have mentioned this in another thread of mine hope its ok to start a new one.

Right ive been having issues getting my 2nd GTX 285 to run in X16 mode on a X58 mobo which is very strange
    My GTX 285s are only 3-4 days old and ive only noticed this problem yesterday

i have :

updated bios 5 different versions
    been in contact with gigabyte who have used the same OS, board and cards and nvdia drivers and have had no problems getting both lanes to work at X16, they have provided me with evidence that this is the case.

so i have today swapped cards around and still get the same card running at X8 so it must be a faulty card first ive heard of a video card doing this?
    Have also ran the cards in single mode and still the card runs in 8X

So im i losing a great deal of performance with my 2nd gtx 285 in SLI running at X8 as since ive had SLI im getting massive performance with all games and im very happy. just worried that im missing out on performance and if i sell cards in the future will still have this issue what do you think guys?

i have been isssued with a RMA number just ive never heard of a video card acting this way very strange

2. nascasho

nascasho Master Guru

GPU:
    GV-N670OC-2GD @ 1250Mhz
    Your card won't even bottleneck an 8x slot. The only card(s) on the market that suffered from a bottleneck on the PCIe 8x 2.0 slot is the GTX 295s and the 4870X2s.

Don't worry about it.

3. kmufc77

kmufc77 Master Guru

GPU:
    6970 Lightning
    hi, so im not going to see any perfomance increase if the 2nd card was at
    X16?

4. Zap

Zap Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600 GT 256MB
    You won't really see any performance gain from going x16. The x58 chipset is PCI Express 2.0, which doubles bandwidth over older versions. This means your PCIe 2.0 x8 slot has the same bandwidth as a PCIe x16 slot.

Have you checked your motherboard manual on the slot configurations? Some boards give x8 or even x4 to slots besides the main (usually top) slot. For instance the MSI Eclipse SLI board can support Tri-SLI, but the slots are wired x16/x16/x4 so the third card gets 1/4 the bandwidth of the other two. Some boards are wired x16/x8/x8.

5. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    Your not losing a gret deal of performance but you are indeed losing a little bit.

Also I would not just settle for your setting up running the 2nd card at 8X, it isnt supposed to be doing that, both lanes support 16X speed in SLI so something is wrong somewhere, either with the board or the card, most likely the board.

6. kmufc77

kmufc77 Master Guru

GPU:
    6970 Lightning
    hi my mobo only has 2 PCIE slots which are both X16 X16

7. kmufc77

kmufc77 Master Guru

GPU:
    6970 Lightning
    hi this is 100% not my mobo like i said in my OP
    even when i use the cards on their own one card runs at 16X and when i take that out and put the second card in on its own that runs at 8X this is defo a video card problem i have been testing all other options for 16 hrs flat

8. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    First time I have ever heard of that issue with a GPU, oh well, weird.

9. kmufc77

kmufc77 Master Guru

GPU:
    6970 Lightning
    yes very strange, i just wanted opinions as to if i would loss perfomance and it seems i wont, but still annoying knowing that i havent got both cards at X16 but tbh the performance im gettting is superb so im in two minds whether to rma card

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  10. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    you will only see a performance issue if you are running at insane settings/resolution - to the point where your cards really can't even handle it anyway.

When you say you tried 5 different BIOS flashes... Are you talking about the mobo or the video cards? Since you're certain it is a video card problem I would flash its BIOS. But what you say about 100% certain it's not the mobo - it could be a combination of that specific video card and something up with your mobo. Like if you take that card and try it in some other computer and it then only runs at 8x, then you could conclude it's definitely something up with that video card. But maybe just a BIOS update on it will sort it.

11. kmufc77

kmufc77 Master Guru

GPU:
    6970 Lightning
    yes 5 different bios updates on the mobo how would i flash the bios on a zotac amp 285?

ive had a look on the back of both cards and the dodgy card has the same bios number as the working X16 card would it be worth flashing the bios?
    i dont know anybody that has a PCIE mobo im afraid so i cant double check that all my friends , family have low low end machines

12. nascasho

nascasho Master Guru

GPU:
    GV-N670OC-2GD @ 1250Mhz
  13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    If it's PCI-e 2.0 I wouldn't stress about it.

The only thing is though, if you're going to keep your board for say a couple of years, you may want to RMA it in case future cards can utilize the extra bus width....

If it was me I'd RMA it (if it is actually mobo fault) but I keep my boards for a very long time.

Up to you.....

14. DonDany21

DonDany21 Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OC2 1GB
    It's a PCI 2.0 slot you don't have to worry about.

15. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    nvflash is the program to flash the video card bios... Plenty of info out there on the net just google it.

For me personally I have no problem flashing the video card bios. Even though the cards have the same bios number the one could still be hosed somehow. If you aren't a complete nub there should be no harm flashing your video card bios as long as you use the proper tools and bios.

16. kmufc77

kmufc77 Master Guru

GPU:
    6970 Lightning
    thanks for your input dave,Do you reckon this could solve my issue? will i have to get the bios for a Zotac AMP GTX 285 or any GTX 285?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009