Opinions on 9800 and 260

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Storm_Rider, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Storm_Rider

Storm_Rider New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I had decided to get a XFX 9800GTX black edition but then i have an opportunity to get a evga gtx 260 sc for like $60 more. Which one should I go with? I play all sorts of games, from rts to fps to mmorpg and am in the market for a 24"+ monitor.

I have no intention of forgetting both and getting a 4850.

so any opinions and inputs would be greatly appreciated. thank you :)

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Gtx 260 ;) its worth it

3. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    Agreed, the difference between the 9800gtx and the gtx 260 is pretty huge

4. Storm_Rider

Storm_Rider New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    it's the super over clocked version from XFX of the 9800gtx though, 725mhz not 675 or whatever it was stock. Still worth it? No one likes the black edition? :(

5. SilverWS602

SilverWS602 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT SLI KO
    I'm in the same boat. Look at the Zotac 9800GTX. $199 and clocked @ 750mhz. I'm STILL trying to decide which route to go

6. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    gtx is just can't catch the GTX260 no matter how much overclock their is

7. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Yep, I mean they are from 2 different series of card, 2 very different architectures, so that would make sense, it's like saying a 9600gt oced to the max beats an 8800GTS 512mb at stock (which probably wouldn't happen)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  8. scipio

scipio Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    I just 'stepped up' from a 9800gtx with BFG and I love it so far

9. WinMacLin

WinMacLin Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    First of all, most stock GTX260's can OC to 650MHz Core. Meaning any OC the 9800GTX can do will never enable it to match the performance of a GTX260 At Stock or Otherwise.

Short Story: Get the GTX260. :)

10. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    The 9800GTX is nothing but a 8800 GTS 512mb, so yes the 260 is a much better option.

I really can't for the life of me understand why NVIDIA tried to confuse everyone by giving the 8800 GTS 512 two different names.

11. Storm_Rider

Storm_Rider New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    thanks for all the opinions. i guess it really is too much like apples and oranges. just the recent review of the 9800gtx-be really turned my head.

now i need to decide which 260 to get or if i should get a 280 if price drop rumors i heard were true. oh woe is me

12. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    the 9800 is just a renamed 8800GTS G92 with a little more core voltage. It's still a great card, but it won't keep up with the 260. If you are on a tight budget, then the 9800 is the way to go. If you have the extra $75-100 then go for the next step up (GTX260)

13. subfire91

subfire91 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Powercolor 4870 1GB
    what about the 9800 GTX+ better than the GTX you listed

14. Storm_Rider

Storm_Rider New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    actually, from various different sites and guru3d also, the 9800gtx black is faster than a standard gtx+ in every aspect, but looses to temps.

rumors about evga and xfx leaving nvidia... could this mean card prices (from those respective companies) will be dropping even more soon?

15. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    well they are releasing the 9800GT so it just get worse lol

16. Hollow27

Hollow27 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 Core216@FTW+
    No because they didn't leave nvidia they dropped exclusivity.That means they are no longer an nvidia only company and i'm sure nvidia will still let them buy and sell chips because EVGA is their #1 seller in the U.S.
    I wonder if this has anything to do with the reimbursements they made from the price drop as both the companies were the only two to offer that.Maybe nvidia wouldn't go for it and XFX and Evga got out of a contract because of it.Or maybe evga and xfx did it and took the loss and nvidia let them out of exclusivity for taking the loss.I don't know about contracts or if exclusivity is even in them,i'm just wondering because it seems like we don't know the full story and its kinda weird that those two companies,the only ones with reimbursement deals of early buyers of the gtx200 series dropped exclusivity.

17. E.J.Smith

E.J.Smith Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce Titan
    I'm very satisfied with my 9800 GTX but if I were to upgrade from the 8 series and money is an issue I would definitely go the GTX 260 route over any of the 9800 variations. The benchmarks and user experiences alone tell the tale.

I'm neither an Nvidia nor an ATi loyalist so I would also be persuaded to check out the HD 4870. There are issues with drivers and fan speed and size so caveat emptor. For a few bucks more you'll get a card that's about 85% of the GTX 280, give or take a benchmark score. Prices are dropping so I would recommend being slow at the trigger and watching closely what the various offerings are over the next few months.