OpenGL + ATI Drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Griffrez, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Griffrez

Griffrez New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4770 512 MB
    OK. I'm a newbie here, first of all, hello all! Just for the record, I understand most of the tech terms... but... *most*.

Anyway, my problem is with Minecraft. You know... that "new" popular game that Youtube was and is filled to the top about it. Anyway. I have been playing it for a while.
    But, lately I noticed a problem with it that I think it has to do with AMD's crappy work on the drivers department.

Every time I make an interaction (like opening a door, catching blocks, blah, you know it), I get a lag spike. It is incredibly annoying and game breaking. I tried everything. I reinstalled Minecraft, Java and the GPU Drivers and tested Minecraft in several circumstances. (Won't get into details because I'm not hoping that everyone here knows all about Minecraft.)

I got my problem also shown in a screenshot here (along with other info): Here. You know it. HERE!

Didn't get any decent response in everywhere I looked, so I decided to go more in depth in terms of the system. I'll try to reformat as soon as I can. (My sister has been playing Fable III on my PC, and saves get corrupted from system to system. So no reformat until she's done with it.) I don't remember having this problem before, seriously. Or I was very patient, or I was sleeping when I used to play it. Or maybe latest Minecraft updates. Anyway, I hope you guys here at Guru3D have an answer.

P.S.: Sorry for the long post. I bet you've seen bigger, but I also bet you've seen much smaller too.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  2. WaxPaper

WaxPaper Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 5870 (Mobile)
    The thing is (and this is the way I understand it, I could be wrong), Minecraft doesn't take advantage of any OGL features past v1.3 or something like that, so using different/newer OGL drivers shouldn't make any difference.

Now as far as the stuttering/lagging, do you read the Minecraft forums over at Curse? Specifically, check out this thread regarding the "OptiFine" mod...

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/249637-181-optifine-hd-a-fps-boost-hd-textures/

I've never heard of someone experiencing lag that specifically or only correlates to player actions, like opening doors and stuff, although lag spikes in general are VERY common right now because the developers still haven't fixed these problems relating to read/write to the HDD during gameplay, among other things... (Check out my post in this thread, which specifically addresses that.)

But that's what the OptiFine mod does; it fixes those problems and adds a bunch of optimizations to make the gameplay smoother, without lag spikes and many players also report a substantial FPS gain. If you don't know how to install mods, those forums explain it all. In fact there should be installation instructions on the OptiFine mod page. Hope it helps! Cheers.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    I get lag and just put it down to the fact that there are no final versions of MC released, every release is beta or alpha

4. Keloran

Keloran New Member

GPU:
    ATi 5770x2, 1Gb
    fixed that for you

5. Griffrez

Griffrez New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4770 512 MB
    It actually didn't work in the end.