OpenGL 4.0 preview driver March 29

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by EaglePC, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Haunter

Haunter New Member

GPU:
    Powercolor HD5870
    [​IMG]

Nothing wrong with quake here, same with quakelive

2. bhokuto

bhokuto Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R5670 HD 1GB DDR5
    Yo, dude, you in the wrong 'Section' this is not Nvidia Section.

We don't use Nvidia here, just ATI. So we discuss, ATI driver problems of which your GPU says: "I want to belong" "But my user won't let me" :bang:

3. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    anyone with HD4xxx series tried these with Bad Company 2 ?

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I have, they def ran like crap for me, something was def wrong. also other games were acting kind of weird. i reinstalled the 10.3B , and all was fine again.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Are these drivers worse than the 10.3b ones then because I installed these thinking if they were newer, they were better?

I did have one grey screen during DiRT 2 though (albeit the card was overclocked to 900/1300, the maximum Overdrive would allow although it passed the testing). Not sure if that was driver related or due to the overclock being too high (card not getting enough volts or something).

I did try the latest version of the OpenGL Extension Viewer with these though and although it reports OpenGL as v4.0 when I ran the rendering tests they passed but the screen did not show the spinning cube as it normally did, it was blank both in windowed and full screen modes. The application also reported some errors from memory although I didn't pay much attention to them. Is that the same for everyone else or are people seeing the cubes during the tests?

Finally, I tried to run some old NVIDIA GTX 280 demos (Medusa, Cascades, Human Head) and got an error message about GL something or other missing. Is that because these are NVIDIA only demos or is it because they don't recognise this version of OpenGL (are they even OpenGL demos for that matter)?

6. sideeffect

sideeffect Master Guru

GPU:
    FE 3070
    There are going to be a lot of these OpenGL releases by the looks of things. It doesn't make much sence to try everyone unless your really interested in the progression of the Opengl side of the driver.

There are no changes in Directx support if anyone has reported a gain its because they updated from an older driver version or they had a previous bad install. The users with the 10.3b already installed are not going to notice any difference unless they are playing OpenGL games.

Yes these drivers have a problem running some older OpenGL games and benchmarks that are working in the normal release driver. They will be fixed over time hopefully.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    So I'm better off installing the 10.3b drivers then?

A couple of people have suggested to me to use those instead but I'm completely new to the HD5870 so I have no idea myself whether I should or not.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Separate branch I believe, 10.3b adds to 10.3 and 10.3a but does not contain the OpenGL additions in these drivers, these on the other hand might contain the 10.3a driver stuff with Eyefinity over what 10.3 WHQL contains but perhaps not the various fixes in 10.3b though instead it keeps updating with OpenGL improvements for the 3.3 and 4.0 revisions.)

Similar to how 10.4 is separate from 10.3 but contains what was fixed in there.
    (Unsure if the 10.4 drivers will be OGL 3.3 / 4.0 ready or if it's for 10.5 as originally planned as posted earlier in the thread or the previous preview driver thread perhaps it was.)

The drivers are newer though and does contain a new CCC version but 10.3b might be better for general gaming and stability.
    (Though it seems to have a few smaller issues still, mainly for Crossfire apparently and the BC2 fix doesn't seem to work for everyone.)

(Also neither the 10.3b or these new preview drivers contain the updated profile info in that application based on checking the .dll files via hex editor and searching for any .exe references.)

These have worked well so far but there's not many OpenGL titles using these additions at the moment.
    (I don't think there's any OpenGL 3.x title and 4.x was just supported for both NVIDIA and ATI so it might be mainly for developers to test and add early support for it and various benchmark utilities and applications.)

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Sounds to me like I would be better installing the 10.3b drivers then as I have no need for OpenGL 4.0 either, I just used these thinking they were newer/more up to date than the other 10.3 drivers.

10. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    10.3b is probably the better choice, though the OpenGL Preview should be the same thing just with OpenGL 4 Beta extentions.

These drivers work perfect for me.

11. wonton1017

wonton1017 Member

GPU:
    2x Galaxy GTX670 SLI
    Performance went WAY up in BFBC2, went from okay-playable to VERY DAMN PLAYABLE.
    Just got this Sapphire 5870 yesterday, and these drivers surprised me big time. (I was kind of regretting at first since BFBC2 didn't play as well as my GTX295.)

I was too lazy to do a clean install, so it might actually be even better. I installed these over a clean install of the Cat. 10.3b.

GPU model: (10.3b)

ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series 8.712.3.0 1024Mb
    GPU model: (OpenGL 4.0 Preview)
    ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series 8.712.3.1000 1024Mb

Settings in BFBC2:
    1920x1200 @60hz
    All settings on HIGH
    4xMSAA (8xMSAA made the performance a little too low for me, i am very sensitive to low FPS, low as being 50 average with official 10.3 and 10.3b. Will probably be much better in this driver.)
    16xAF
    VSYNC OFF
    HBAO ON

10.3/10.3a/10.3b:
    -Slight mouse delay (felt like vsync was half on)
    -Average FPS of 56
    -Minimum FPS drops to about 31 @ random times (weird.)
    -HBAO makes the game feel a little sluggish compared to HBAO OFF

OpenGL 4.0 Preview March 29/2010:
    -No more mouse delay
    -Average FPS of 76
    -Minimum FPS drops to about 60FPS in huge battles with smoke and explosions everywhere (the intense times which keeps me playing this game.)
    -HBAO only dropped FPS by a bit but still felt smooth, with this off, i am guessing the average FPS would be about 85ish

12. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    If you install it over 10.3b all it does is update OpenGL which BFBC2 does not use anyway. So placebo. lol.

And laggy mouse in the weapon selection UI, I seem to find it depends on which server you are on. Some it feels laggy some not.

13. jaredpace

jaredpace Active Member

GPU:
    4890 975/1150
    WTF! I have seen about 5 screenshots of QUAKE 1 in this thread... haha. That game was beta in 1995!

It's also my favorite game. Anyone remember Turtlevan? Good to see all the Q1 love in this thread. Makes my day.

14. wonton1017

wonton1017 Member

GPU:
    2x Galaxy GTX670 SLI
    Lol no its not placebo, i have no clue why i had such a huge performance boost in BFBC2... I know for a fact that my FPS dropped to 31 randomly using MSI Afterburner's log with the 10.3a/b/official, but with this driver, lowest was 52 after 1.5hrs of BFBC2.

15. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Maybe ATi is updating the D3D Driver without changing the version number.
    That's why you a are seeing such a big increase of performance.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well the latest version of OpenGL Extensions Viewer doesn't like them much as the render tests don't work as they don't display the spinning cube. It works fine with the 10.3b drivers though as I tested it earlier. May not be that big of deal but it could mean some OpenGL games won't work properly.

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've just tried Metro 2033 with the 10.3b drivers and the game is now an absolute slideshow with a framerate in single digits at 1920x1200 with 4xMSAA on Very High settings. If I set the AA to AAA the game is playable but there are disappearing polygons when turning. Yet yesterday I was playing the same level (Biomass at the crane section) fine on those settings perfectly fine at ~30 fps with the OpenGL 4.0 preview drivers. Grrrrrrrrr!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  18. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Forget that settings with dx11 :)

19. sideeffect

sideeffect Master Guru

GPU:
    FE 3070
    Direct3D Driver is the same. No idea why people are reporting these huge increases that are not even possible. If ATI had magically gained 40% extra performance in BFBC2 they would be advertising it and not hiding it away in a OpenGL driver that has nothing to do with a directX game.

20. Haunter

Haunter New Member

GPU:
    Powercolor HD5870
    Actually i have an 5870 just didnt update my profile, but thanks for your incredible sarcasm attacking me when I didnt flame in anything!

I will never understand this nvidia vs ati child wars, I buy whats best for me, dont look at colors, you should try the same