1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OpenCL + video acceleration = crash ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section' started by PrEzi, Jun 26, 2011.

1. PrEzi

PrEzi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 LC
    Hello guys,
    I'm facing some problems with HD6950.
    First I thought it is because bad shader unlock, but after reverting back - the problem still exists.

The issue is that when you use OpenCL to compute (e.g. Bitcoin miners -
    https://github.com/downloads/Kiv/poclbm/guiminer-20110614.exe)
    and try to run a video with hardware acceleration (for example via EVR in MPC HC) = this results in the GPU crash.
    Also it can crash when you use OpenCL and start GPU-Z.

My config ;
    Win7 x64 SP1,
    AMD/ATI HD6950 1GB@shader mod
    PhenomII 955
    4GB DDR3

Are you able to reproduce this issue on HD69xx cards ?
    Are there any solutions to this ?
    P.S. This is a fresh install of Win7, and I am sure it is not because of a weak PSU or OC too much. I've tested Stream 2.3 and 2.4, and Cat's 11.4/5/6 and latest unofficial 8.862

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  2. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    AMD's OpenCL is not perfect yet or the OpenCL app was written specifically for Nvidia. I have the same problem with the Dolphin Emulator for instance but DirectCompute complaint apps works fine.

I have a fermi card which I'm using for PhysX and OpenCL apps at the moment. I disabled AMD's opencl until the apps are updated to support AMD's platform.

You need to contact both AMD and the app developer to support AMD's version of OpenCL.

3. PrEzi

PrEzi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 LC
    Thank you, however I doubt it is a problem related to only the app, because I've tested a few OpenCL applications and they all (more or less) have serious issues with the crashes.
    And any DirectCompute or Stream applications (written in ATi's own language/API) don't seem to suffer from these problems.
    P.S. Fermi and NV suxz big time on OpenCL computing - the GTX590 has half of the computing performance of my 6950 (counted in Mhash/s)
    https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison#AMD_(ATI)

Already submitted a feedback form via Catalyst Feedback...
    The good side - my card is not faulty... the bad one... oh well.... for me OpenCL is unusable for now...

4. PrEzi

PrEzi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 LC
    Can anyone tweet Andrew (Catalystcreator) with this issue ?
    Seems that my tickets submitted to AMD support are returned back cause my mail is not registered. Only thing that was sent to the support was the Catalyst Feedback form, however I'm not totally sure if it's enough for them...

As I've investigated - it concerns more and more people, basically - anyone who tries to use OpenCL + some sort of GPU acceleration - be it video (MPC HC anyone ?) or some sort of web browsing (Flash acceleration / or IE9 GPU acceleration) or even Instant Messaging (Polish 'WTW' client has the possibility to use D2D Software/Hardware rendering). Anything related to D3D is also crashing the GPU, but the 'weird' thing is - the system is still working (e.g. I have an FTP in the background and I'm able to log in even when the GPU crashes).

5. PrEzi

PrEzi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 LC
  6. psychok9

psychok9 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    Same problem here.
    Thank you.

7. PrEzi

PrEzi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 LC
    Update from Micah/AMD :
    It looks like the 11.8 driver will have this fixed.

Hooopefully we will have a beta/pre-RC soon, else I cannot compute when I'm using my rig :bang:
    Really really hope rflair or adser00 will help us out with some earlier release :nerd::banana:

8. LethalRise750

LethalRise750 Member

GPU:
    MSI R6970 Lightning
    Hopefully we can get ahold of a beta or preview driver featuring this fix... but I won't hold my breath haha. I'm glad that AMD can at least give direct answers as to when it will be fixed though :)

9. PrEzi

PrEzi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 LC
    Yup, really glad that the Red/green team provided us with the answer and an ETA (no answer is the worst answer).
    Still it's hard for me to perform OpenCL computing during my 'casual' pc-usage, but at least I know where I'm standing (and I still hope for an out-of-bound 'hotfix' or at least an early driver leak...).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  10. Tyrael-D3

Tyrael-D3 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7870 XT
    Same prob here, browsing and mining really sucks right now, and i cant game and mine either. i am running a 6950 unlocked with 11.6 may 24th and 11.6CAP1

11. PrEzi

PrEzi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 LC
    My solution ATM :
    use IE9 :bang:, disable IE9 GPU acceleration, uninstall flash in IE, switch to Win7 basic theme.
    This way at least I can browse the web during minning (or I just use my Galaxy S and Opera browser in it ;) )
    Suxz big time... but hopefully we won't be required to wait for two more months for an updated OpenCL driver (leak leak ! leak them already :nerd: )

12. LethalRise750

LethalRise750 Member

GPU:
    MSI R6970 Lightning
    My solution is Google Chrome with GPU Acceleration disabled :p

13. PrEzi

PrEzi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 LC
    Flash has a tendency to hang my system, that is why I uninstalled it for IE (left for Opera) and currently using IE without any plugins else I wouldn't poke it even with a stick :)

14. LethalRise750

LethalRise750 Member

GPU:
    MSI R6970 Lightning
    I just disabled Hardware Acceleration in Flash and it fixed my hangs. (Right click a flash video and uncheck "Enable Hardware Acceleration")

15. PrEzi

PrEzi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 LC
    Did that also (disabled all gpu acceleration I could find - even some reg entries...) - but just disabling in flash internally didn't help in my case...
    Unistall somehow improved the stability of my browsing.