OPAMPs in Toronto?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by deltatux, Aug 20, 2011.

1. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Hey guys,

Not sure if you guys can help me out, but I'm interested in maybe replacing the OPAMPs on my Auzentech X-Raider 7.1 sound card since apparently the NE5532 that comes with the card are low quality cheap OPAMPs? If so, does anyone know where to find them in Toronto? Preferably in the York Region area. How much do they usually cost? I heard the OPA2134 are very good, is this true?

Also how easy is it to replace the OPAMPs? Any tutorials as I've never done it before. Also what other tools do I need to perform an OPAMP swap?

Cheers,
    deltatux

2. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    If it's anything like my Xonar ST (looks like it is based on pictures) then the OPAMP's will just pop right out. No tool required. If you have a little bit of fingernail then it will be very easy to pop them out of their sockets.

As for getting some OPAMP's: I got my replacements for free from National Semiconductor (and several other places will give out free ones as well). All you need is a school email and they'll send you some "samples" free of charge. They don't even charge for shipping.

I can't comment on the specific OPAMP that you mentioned, but I know how ROBSCIX will answer. He'll say that you need to just get a few different ones to test with and decide for yourself which you like the best. It's really hard to tell someone whether or not they'll like it. Everyone likes different things.

But, the most important thing is to make sure your replacement OPAMP's match the power/pin specs of your current ones. I'll let someone else chime in on that. However, keep in mind that some "higher quality" OPAMP's might not match the pin layout of your card... by default. You can always use adapters.

Best of luck, buddy.

3. RTS100x5

RTS100x5 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870 1GB w 54in Plsma
    http://www.partsconnexion.com/ in CANADA, They have both BURSON and DEXA audiophile grade discreet OPAMPS. If you want the best....if not many IC 's are available from NATL' SEMICONDUCTOR as stated.

Read this first... http://www.bursonaudio.com/the_naked_truth_about_opamp.htm

I have the BURSON and am extremely satisfied w the sound quality. Its been referred to as an "analog" type of sound / very open and natural w no coloring. Many however prefer their IC's . Its all subjective of course and I lilke to believe that you get what you pay for.... as far using the discreet s , if you go that route , they are 1 1/2 tall so give them a slot space in your configuration . I had to move my ASUS HDAV DELUXE to another slot to accommodate but DAMN I have one of the sweetest sounding systems on the planet !!!!!!!!!

:bigsmile:

4. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    I want some Burson's. :O

5. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Any instructions for the National Semiconductor OPAMPs? Is there anything special I have to say so they can send a couple OPAMPs to me for free?

Once again the Auzentech X-Raider 7.1 is the card I have.

Cheers,
    deltatux

6. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Not really. You just pick out the ones you want, find them on the National Semiconductor website, and then there will be a button that says "samples." Then you just have to put in your student email and shipping address.

Even if you don't have a student email they don't charge very much for just a few OPAMP's, as they are trying to get you to sample a few, and then order a case of 10,000.

A good starting place (and the ones that I currently use) are LME49720NA. They have a touch more bass than the stock ones that came with the Xonar ST, but it really wasn't a world of difference. I want a few of these.

But anyway,

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LME49720.html#Order

Then you just make sure that you're ordering the one that fits your particular socket. Seems like you need the DIP-8 version, which is the bottom link.

BUT- make sure that the OPAMP matches the voltage specs of your card before ordering. Maybe ROBSCIX or someone with the same sound card as you can confirm that the LME49720NA will be compatible before you place an order.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  7. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Ya, I'm waiting to see if ROBSCIX would want to help me out here as well.

deltatux

8. Rebel975

Rebel975 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+
    Well, I just did digging and based on the spec sheets of the LME49720's and NE5532's they operate within very similar voltage limits. Still, let's wait to see what the boss man says.

9. sprogis

sprogis Member

GPU:
    AMD ATI HD6950 x2 CFX
    I know a place in Toronto, I live here too. The place is Creatron Inc. at 255 College St. The only opamps he has are OPA2134 dual for $6.80 each and in stock and OPA2227 for $9.50 in stock and OPA2132 for $12.50 each in stock but don't get the OPA2132. I would suggest that you go down and see for your self, bring a parts list. I got the last LM4562, if you would like it I will sell it to you for the same price he sold it to me $11.00 as marked on the package, I have not used it. Still new. Just PM me if you want to meet up. I did alot of checking to find opamps myself in Toronto. Creatron seems to be the only place, let me tell you it bites that it is the only place I could find in Toronto.

sprogis

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  10. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    Most standard DIP opamps are pin and voltage compatible with eachother so you shouldn't have any problems :)