Opamps and Modding thread.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Well, I had the chance to listen to my 637's for a while now. Some impressions might have been influenced by my headphones, which are supposed to take forever to burn in, but at least my impressions were quite positive :)
    So far, these little babies do sound great. Clear, not over-clear. Strong, tight, but not over-powered. The harsh over-clear treble I had before is gone now, the bass is still very controlled and strong. Many details can be heard that I absolutely missed earlier, many recordings happen to be worse than I thought (as now it's easy to spot all the flaws they have).
    Quite interesting, quite pleasing ;) I just hope my 627's get back to me soon, I'd love to do the A/B testing.

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I only heard my opa627 for a bit but with one ear before I sent mine back for a replacmenet. I hope I get one back that fully works. and not another messed up one.

3. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I hope the same for mine ;) I listened to the first "set" for a while, yet not long enough, especially with the newer headphones, to judge them.

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    If you have a chance to A/B the 627 over the 637's, I would say the 637's have more "air" they are more open in the higher end. Both units sound very good though.

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Auzen just tested a new pair of opa627 and gonna send them to me tommow =D

6. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    @rob: I'm really looking forward to get that opportunity. It just didn't make sense to use my current experiences for anything useful, as they were quite far apart in time and also came with different equipment.

@gen: I hope that I'm as lucky as you ;) So far the shop I got mine hasn't answered my mails, I guess I'll have to call them to get another set soemtime soon. If it doesn't work, luckily I paid with Paypal... so at least the chances are good to get my money back.

7. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I have considered getting the OPA 637AU, is the sound quality really different between the stock and this one? It claims "provides open and clear sounds with more accent on high-pitch level."

My question is could changing the Op Amp throw off the balance of the sound card? I listen to a lot of guitar based music, but I also use my sound card for home theater/gaming, so I don't want to skew my frequency spectrum far to the right.

Basically is there a better choice for balanced sound for many applications, or is this a good choice?

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/opamp_637au.php

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The opamps are dual channel - Stereo mode. You will have even frequency spectrum across your front channels. I am currently using the 637AU and it sounds very nice indeed. The nice thing about opamps is once you own them you can use them in any card you want so if say down the road you get a new card with replaceable opamps you still have these modules to upgrade that one also. Great investment considering that point. I have quite a few of them now...

9. NAJMI ADNAN

NAJMI ADNAN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    I've done some more mods. I bypass the V+ and V- with 20pF caps, some said it removes the white noise. It sounds much cleaner and less sterile I say, and less fatiguing over long period of listening

Edit: I tested on one song that have that kind of noise, its damn clean now. Awesome :)

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Cool surprising what one simple modifications can do huh? I am getting ready to mod some of my gear but I am not quite ready yet. I need to find a good local parts supplier to get some audio grade caps. a Buddy has been askingme to build him a headphone amp from scratch so I am considering pulling out EWB/Multisim and going to work on a headphone amp design. This may be in a while though as I am so busy with audio work of one kind or another.

11. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    My Replacement Opamp just came, and it works =D. When I saw the case for it a little broken I was worried for a bit.

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    ...And how does it sound?

13. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    To me, it sounds great, the bass is much more deeper, it was the firs thing i notice,and the rest I cant really explain. it just sound so much better to me.

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Cool, Enjoy.

15. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    nice! it's good to have room for improvement without much of a sweat. :)

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I use the OPA637's personally but I have a opa627 here. Both are great amps. I just found the OPA637 had more of the sound I was looking for with my personal system.

17. NAJMI ADNAN

NAJMI ADNAN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Just got XtremeMusic from Aropredator, and after few hours with it I done the mod, because I can't wait any longer and I ave all the ingredient to make it :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Happy with the result, it sounded night and day compared to stock :) Opamp of my choice is my all time favorite LME49720

18. virtualex

virtualex Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870-800/4400
    i've just replaced front opamp with lm4562ma, 3 surround opamps with LME49720 and the power filter capacitor with a 2200uF and i'm very very happy with the results. i now truly have a hi-fi sound card.

19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    It is surprising to find out what a few simple modifications with a handful of components can actually do. Enjoy.

20. NAJMI ADNAN

NAJMI ADNAN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    True, who might have guess few caps and opamp change makes world of difference

My last mod, some more caps changes and RCA out :D Now I named my card X-Fi PureMusicâ„¢ :nerd:

[​IMG]