Opamps and Modding thread.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Mar 7, 2008.

1. nam

nam Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW ICX
    Are they to ones you did a batch of? also the other opamp you used was it the OPA827AID ?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes, I built a few Dual LME 49710HA modules. Easily one of my favorites and I sent a few to associates and received exceptional feedback everytime. In every case the person is still using the unit in the circuit. The have a sound similar to LM4562NA but a few notches up th ladder.
    Better low end basss improved high end extension. Just overall a better unit for audio.
    I have also built some OPA827 modules also along with many,many others. I am always building new modules using the latest opamps;)

To note, the LM4562 is the same unit a the LME49720.
    The LME49710 are the single channel versions and the HA are metal can units.
    Dual single channel units usually perform better then a dual channel counterpart and the HA are considered the top of their line.

3. nam

nam Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW ICX

Thanks for that Rob , i vaguely Remember you saying this a while back but good for Confirmation..

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I am always building and testing new units. I have even started designing my own adapters PCB's that I may have built. I am also working on a few other adapters, units that I think everybody can use for their cards. I will keep you posted.

5. nam

nam Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW ICX
    Nice one Rob :)

6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Built some nice OPA2111AM modules. these new modules are sing TO-99 metal can opamps with gold pins! IIRC, This type of packaging is usually researved exclusively for milatary applications. The golden pin units are hard to find in the consumer market.
    I will post a pic once I get a chance. Almost forgot they sound great based on my testing!

7. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

hey guys sup!!

never posted pic of my sound system.. well here it is

behringer b1520dsp | rythmik d15se | behringer b1520dsp

planned: projector/100"+ screen
    [​IMG]
    50" plasma for ref :)

and heres whom theyre fed the signal from.. a 500$ ht omega claro halo/lt1028acn8 opamps/blackgate caps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

all i can say: audio bliss :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Cool. I like the LT1028s also. You should try out the OPA2111AM's as they sound very good on the card I have tested them on.

9. NapalmV5

NapalmV5 Member Guru

thanks.. man opamp rollin never dies :D lol

i remember looking at opa2111 pdf but the features/specs didnt get me interested

so it sounds good huh.. alright ill give it shot

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes, they sounds really good. IMO. They are TO-99's so will require an adapter to work with a soundcard. I may have mentioned it before that if you're interested in some opamps I can hook you up with certain pre-made units.
    Such as:
    Dual LME49710HA
    LME49720HA
    OPA2111AM
    ..etc...etc
    Drop me a PM if your interested in any of them.

11. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    A while back (oct/nov 09) I was sent a PM that got deleted accidentally containing a list of opamps that have different "colors" to the sound of an Essence STX. I do remember one number being an OPA2(?)132. But I forget if it is the OPA132 or OPA2132. So I just want to make sure of the correct number so I do not hose myself. Can anyone please help? I greatly appreciate both your time and effort. :) Thank you.

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Sure, the OPA132 is a single channel unit. THe OPA2132 is a dual channel so on that card you use 2132 unless you are building two 132's into an adapter.
    Hope this helps and happy modding.

13. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Thank you so much sir! It does indeed help. I do appreciate it. :)

14. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Guys, i'm completely new to the whole replaceable op-amps thing, and want a few pointers.

I've had my STX a couple of months now, and overall Im really pleased with it. However, I fancy trying out a few different op-amps with it. 2 questions really...

1) any recommendations of which ones to try?
    2) where is the best place to get hold of them in the UK?

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    1, I can give you a few ideas...
    2, many get them as samples from the companies if you have the right credentials, such as your a student or you are a member of the electronics feild.

Ok, before I give you some ideas, how long have you had the STX and what would you like to change or improve? -We are talking about the sonic signature....would you like more bass? Higher details?..etc
    Our opamp collection in the Guru3D audio lab is over 200 units, so We have tested out many of the units out there.

16. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Thanks Robscix -

I guess I should start with what music I listen too... which is quite a range LOL! Here are the main genres I go for:

Classical (stuff like Rachmaniov/Brahms/Beethoven/Vivaldi), Jazz (Miles Davies, Wynton Masalis etc) Dance Music (Digweed/James Zabiela/Gui Boratto/Sasha) other random stuff (Uncle/Cinematic Orchestra/Nitin Sawney)

So quite a wide range of stuff... lol... which is half the prob I guess.

The biggest thing I find lacking is in the bass end with the dance music. In classical it sounds fabulous compared to my old creative which always sounded a bit un-natural sounding, although i dont wanna loose any of the clarity (when I first got it I played some vivaldi and was stunned by the detail) by going for too much low end.

I know thats not particularly specific, but it gives u a kind of idea to what I want out of the card. Im quite happy to try a couple of different ones - e.g. something better for classical/accoustic and something better for dance/electronic.

17. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    What are you using, speakers or headphones?

18. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    A mixture of both - z680's fo speakers, which I predimantly bought with gaming in mind, and
    AKG 702's for headphones (got a decent price on eBay!). I anticipate using the headphones much more in the future once the little one arrives lol!

19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    So when using your cans, what needs to be improved?

20. nam

nam Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW ICX
    Bet this sounds really bad Listening with Baked bean cans lol