OnePlus 5's Display Is Inverted - Cause of Issue

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Last week we reported about the new OnePlus 5 being plagued by what is now called the Jelly Scrolling effect. The problem has been identified, they installed and thus mounted the display panel upside-down on the OnePlus 5....

OnePlus 5's Display Is Inverted - Cause of Issue

2. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    ...my goodness

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    That is not truth. Mounting has no effect on buffering method. Enabling vsync will guarantee 100% correct image.
    Unless this is error in software based buffer. (Which is quite likely as hw buffers issues are not that huge due to limited refresh rate.)

Then that UI is pretty laggy. Input lag is huge. Which looks like they are overloading another buffer.
    And then i smell improper memory region locking.

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    It's an AMOLED display, it has a super retarded subpixel layout, it may not be the same thing exactly upside down as it is rightside up depending on what type of AMOLED it is. It can be actually off by a row or more of subpixels causing a bunch of anomalies.

For the record that can also happen with an LCD, but it's just more likely to have problems on a dumb pentile layout.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Have you seen that video? No display can do that on its own. Because no display has thousands of buffers.

This looks like vsync issue when you throw hundreds/thousands more images into it than it can handle.

Start HL2, unlock fps, and let your GPU scream for a while. You'll see exactly same thing. Only it works from side to side. As LCD monitors run refresh vertically, but many tablet, phone screens run it horizontally if placed in landscape orientation.

6. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Does it effect video playback ?

7. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    If it's got no vsync you might get tearing on the video

I currently get tearing on netflix because for some reason that app seems to turn vsync off

8. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga RTX2070XCUltra
    You can flip your phone around and use any direction you want and not get this, soooo..... umm..... yeah???

9. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    So... it's a wait and see phone then ;)

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I think they mean the other way, not turn it around, but flip the whole screen so that what you're looking at is the backside of the screen.

That being said, i don't believe that to be the case, as that doesn't make sense.

This is clearly a feature, not some vsync issue, not an issue at all, it's a feature. The issue is that its not able to be turned off.

As to the guy who said something about HL2, no, no it does not do this. I have games that play in the 1000+ fps with no vysnc (obviously) and it doesn't do anything like this