One X or SIII?

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by kakik09, Jun 23, 2012.

1. kakik09

kakik09 Active Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 660 Ti AMP! SLI
    Ok I know I'm probably starting a fight here but I'm really struggling.
    Which would be better in terms of the ff:
    -Multitasking
    -Video Camera
    -Music
    -Web Browsing
    -Navigation of UI
    -Games

On the multitasking part, I've heard the HTC One X does not allow this so does that mean, for example, I cannot leave the web browser open to check my inbox or even the calculator? I'm partial to the One X because of it's supposedly better screen. (btw, I'm coming from the Nokia 5800)

2. TDurden

TDurden Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    I am not THAT into smartphones, but I would expect a more smooth overall experience from S III

3. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    the difference in screen is that htc one x uses a true rgb matrix, whereas the samsung uses a pentile amoled. so technically the htc has 3x as many subpixels, so it looks a bit sharper and the colours are slightly more accurate.

battery life as a result of the different screen technologies will depend on your use. if you browse a lot of web pages with white backgrounds, the s3 will run out of juice faster as amoleds consume more than twice as much power compared to lcd when rendering whites. if you browse pages with black backgrounds or with colour inversion mode active, you'll get better battery life from the s3 on web browsing. for most other things, battery life will be quite similar.

performance is going to be similar on either device. but i believe samsung have better optimised drivers so things run smoother. htc's advantage is that you have access to tegra3 games that can take advantage of the extra cores.

personally, i think i'll wait for the htc one xxl (quad core krait with adreno 320 and 2gb ram) or lg ls970 (quad core krait with adreno 320 and 2gb ram) as these two will be much better at multitasking.

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    after playing around with both of them, s3 wins. both are good phones, but the s3 feels snappier out of the box and it has a better screen. (blacks are black).

5. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    All smart phones allows you to flip between the applications. It won't be in their own windows like on your desktop on your PC, but tasks can run in the background.

deltatux

6. Enmity

Enmity Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FE SLI
    from my own personal experience using both devices, I highly recommend the SIII over the One X. SIII at this point in time is much snappier - the experience is more fluent and without a hitch. The only downside with the SIII in my opinion is it is not robust in any way, shape or form as they have opted for the "slimmer, lighter" approach. This can be sorted via a case though.

The HTC being constructed of a single-piece of hardened polycarbonate feels more sturdy, and has the tougher screen of the two.

If it's performance you want, I would go with the SIII when considering these two devices - it is the smoother device and provides a more fluent experience, has the ability to take an extra Micro-SD to make up for it's shortcomings (16gb internal for the SIII as versus the 32GB internal on the One X)...whereas with the One X, you're stuck with the 32GB with no way to expand.

Hope this helps in your decision man :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  7. kakik09

kakik09 Active Member

GPU:
    Thanks guys, keep'em comin'. So I'm leaning towards the S3 now but, earlier today I went in an HTC shop and the demo unit of the One X there had a cool feature to just "swipe" the screen to the TV via a small gadget (a router?). Is there any way an S3 can do this too? Also, is it just me or is the One X's display look more "real" or "natural" than the S3's?

8. Enmity

Enmity Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FE SLI
    The Swiping thing you are mentioning I think is via the Media Link HD which is like a little media box (think apple tv *runs n hides*) where you can swipe down the screen with three fingers and it uses the Media Link?

If so, then no, to my knowledge the S3 doesn't have this function as the media link HD is an add on accessory for the HTC one X or at least here in NZ it doesn't come with the device.

Due to the HTC One X's Super LCD2 screen it does in theory have the more "natural" screen, just like when talking about tv panels they said plasmas have the more authentic screen as versus the LCD's...the same can be said about the HTCs screen as opposed to the S3, however colours are more vibrant on the s3 giving the impression that it is more spectacular - and in a lot of cases it simply is just that, spectacular.

:)

9. kakik09

kakik09 Active Member

GPU:
    ^So not even something like a TV out for the S3? Ouch.

Btw guys, if you're buying any one of these phones, should your list go like:
    1. S3
    2. One X
    3. Sensation XL
    4. Lumia 900

or should I rearrange it?

10. robert1990

robert1990 Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 iCoolerV750/1100
    I'd say wait until Qualcomm officially release MSM8974, it's a killer chip (Snapdragon S4 Krait, 2.0 - 2.5 Ghz quad-core, Adreno 320 GPU (up to 4x performance improvement than Adreno 225), dual channel memory 667Mhz)

I'm hoping the rumored One XXL will use MSM8974, rather than APQ8064, as all APQ series don't have radio connectivity (GPRS/EDGE/HSDPA/HSPA+). They need to put another chip for radio connectivity, which will be quiet difficult in nowadays smartphone slim designs. It will be a killer. I'd buy it straightaway!!! :D

11. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
  12. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    the samsung has a semi wireless capability. theres an addon you buy that plugs into the TV's hdmi ports, which allows you to connect your s3 wirelessly to the tv without a long hdmi cable between the S3 and TV.

they call it the allshare cast dongle.

13. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I would keep that arrangement. The Lumia 900 will not get Windows Phone 8, so there's no real upgrade path in terms of software (you get WP7.8).

I'd stick with the S3 or One X.

deltatux

14. kakik09

kakik09 Active Member

GPU:
  15. kshahzad

kshahzad Banned

GPU:
    HP
    in my opinion HTC X is batter then samsung Galaxy SIII

16. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    quadro K6000+Tesla M2090
    as i have both (one x for personal and S3 for work):
    S3 is faster and smoother and have way better screen (brighter and more clear, seem more fast) but there is Samsung limitation as usual (XDA 's forum will be your friend lol)

on other hand One X is more versatile and more prompt to be tweaked and personalized
    Tegra is a real beast on heavy duty (specialy on game)
    better sound output.

both use a lot of battery (get a core manager on google play to save power)
    both have kick ass multitasking (just download apk that is fine coded ;) )
    both have nice but very disapointed camera (old galaxy and HTC was better)
    both have uggly :puke2: web browser, you know what you will have to do lol...

about UI they are different but do what they are intended to do, it's up to you

personaly i prefer the One X, but they are nearly the same, they are both top end smart phone, none are bad pick.

17. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    SGS3 for me, I wouldn't ever take a HTC even for free.

18. main_shoby

main_shoby Maha Guru

GPU:
    980Ti Qnix 2710 96Hz
    lol ... i have had galaxy note \ galaxy S II \ Galaxy S \ HTC One S \ One X \ one X Us version. its my other hobby.
    i like htc one S <-- the most so far. speed, batterylife and stuff.
    problem with samsung is, they wanna release a 700$ phone in 31 cents plastic body.. absolutely cheap plastic feel. on the other hand, one S's body feels like a Big Chip.. full solid and no empty spots inside body unlike galaxy S \ Note etc.

back to the question, have both phones in your hand and then see which one you want lol, may be you wanna go for build quality while both of them perform the same.
    GS3 will give u swapable battery option along with sdcard slot AND "he got galaxy S 3" tag, since they paid EVERYONE to hype this phone, even guru3d made a review for gs3 lol.. how often we do cellphone reviews? if we did a review for one X with tegra in it? that was more reasonable because its related to this community

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  19. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    We got a GS3 review because Hilbert bought one, not because he was sent one.

I don't care for HTC though so wouldn't read it anyway.

20. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    HTC was good back when your choice was HTC or erm, iphone, but now it's just clunky.

Plus AMOLED is missing.