Onboard Sound Vs. Add in Sound Card

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Mar 10, 2006.

1. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    That is interesting. I never had any issues with the Auzen Prelude until the Windows 10 19xx update hit. That was when I put the Audigy 2 ZS in as I didn't want to be disabling driver signing to use the X-Fi Prelude.

2. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    last couples months I been using my titanium fatality pro card. even though I have zxr. I like the way the xfi sound.

I would of liked using my titanium HD. but its not working. windows detects it and installs the HDA drivers. but thats it.
    no audio plays with the HDA, and drivers installer doesnt detect the card. forcing the drivers results in device manager stating that the driver could not start. the card gets really hot.
    maybe capacitors gone bad? comparing to online pics. the black on the silver capacitors isnt solid black,they all have sliver lines going through it.

also correct me if im wrong
    something I been researching on.
    any card after xfi, all audio is ran in software. core3d chip is just a codec like realtek chips . openal and alchemy is totally software processed even though log states its using native openal , its still software. midi and soundfont is software only. software included with the cards handle effects and such.

xfi: openal is hardware processed. and alchemy eax is passed through native openal and hardware processed.
    midi and soundfonts are processed or partially processed through hardware.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If the card gets really hot, the silicon has too much electron leakage. Basically it didnt age well.
    You 'might' be able to get it running again by fitting a decent heatsink to the chip that gets hot, and maybe blow a fan at it if it doesnt cool enough.
    I've done this before with success.

4. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    I've been listening to the Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Xtreme onboard sound for a few hours, then comparing it to the Audigy 2 ZS then another system with the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude. There aint much in it when listening to them all with the AKG K702 and SMSL sAp II amp.

There is very tiny differences but nothing really stands out. Only the AE-5 I didn't like. It had lower bass in the 10Hz that was sweet but the mid range bass felt cold and the treble felt a smidge bright.

For some reason I love the sound from the Audigy 2 ZS, X-Fi Prelude and the Gigabyte Aorus Z490 sound signature.

What I do find very interesting is how the Audigy 2 ZS still holds up really well today in Windows 10 for listening and gaming. As its drivers is from 2018 for a card that was bought in 2003/4. With the Z490 listening with my eyes closed, I don't think I could tell which card was being played apart from the lack of rich sound from the AE-5.

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3(2GB)
    The main advantage of using a dedicated sound card is it frees up CPU usage. Plus you get better overall sound quality at higher frequencies as well as surround sound options.

6. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    With all these massive core processors, are you really going to notice a little CPU usage?

Hypernaut likes this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    none tbh, most audio engines are now software surround using xaudio.

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3(2GB)
    Probably not, but when you take in to account games like Cyberpunk, then every bit of the CPU power is needed.

9. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    DId you take part in the mass beta test too? sorry it was more of a pre-alpha innit.

10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3(2GB)
    No I didn't. I wasn't aware there was one?