Onboard Sound Vs. Add in Sound Card

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Mar 10, 2006.

1. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Since I don't use my PC for music and just for gaming, I settled on the Centurion 7.1 for that. Just discovered using their Nahimic driver is borked and causes sound issues with some games. I don't know if it is a Windows 10 with a recent update or Asus issue. Considering the driver did not change, I am leaning toward Windows. Oddly enough, using the default Windows USB audio endpoint driver works perfect with using Boom3D to control the headset. It actually sounds better than the Asus Sonic Studio software... tootsie pops.gif

2. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    apparently realtek issued dmca takedown on sites that have been leaking audio drivers for like the longest time .

a github fork was shutdown. and threads on asus forums was deleted.

and login was changed for ftp that had leaked drivers was changed.

wtf realtek....

they basically screwed over people with boards that dont get oem driver updates anymore.

3. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3(2GB)
    I'm using Realtek sound at the moment with my headphones. Not too bad actually.

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    I'm currently using a SoundBlaster ZxR, and plan to upgrade to AMD soon with the Asus ROG Strix B550-E Gaming as motherboard (i will get that regardless of onboard results anyways).

It has a Realtek S1220A, would that still be a big downgrade compared to my ZxR?

What i do really like about Creative Soundcards is the headphone surround features.

Something i did find though is this, it seems under load onboard can go really wonky? Anyone have experience with this?

Realtek ALC1220 vs Sound BlasterX AE-5 - My findings : hardware (reddit.com)

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    I actually found my own answers already, onboard is still no where near as good.

I may actually pick up a Sound BlasterX G6 to ditch PCI-E nonsense.

6. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    I'll see what the sound is like on the Gigabyte Aorus Z490 Xtreme compared to the Audigy 2 ZS that I'm currently using on the i7 3770K Windows 10 PC in 6 days.

Still got the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude to compare. This all being paired with AKG K702.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Did danielk or somebody make an updated XFI pci driver set that had the openal bsod fixed?

8. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its been so long since i was making my auzen remixes, i forgot the openal bsod was fixed in 2011 lol.

Sadly i never saw a driver that fixed Soundfont bsods or the Screeching bug before i moved to my XFI Titanium in 2012, and the 2013 driver for that introduced the OpenAL audio loss bug while fixing the soundfont stutter and bsod :oops:. I even passed along a application side workaround on how to fix that based on a submission to the oldunreal forums but the LOTRO devs went with bundling a software OAL dll instead.

I had far too many issues with my auzen prelude over the 3 years i used it :\