Onboard Sound Vs. Add in Sound Card

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Mar 10, 2006.

1. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor Radeon HD 4850
    hahahah..its a speaker brand..not a famous one..but got some rave reviews from ign and such check it out here

http://www.edifier.com/eng2005/reviews.htm

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yeah, I don't think you can really go wrong with the Audigy 4's they are going for great prices these days. Some people are getting them with remotes aswell and they are still cheaper than a ZS. People asking me about features. The thing is with these cards is they contain the 10KX series of DSP processors..so that will take care of your gaming audio and EAX. You also have access to the chip itself, if your into digital effects used for recording and such. There are quite a fwe models out latley that don't have these chips...they are not really good for much. there is better cards out there and let's face it it's all very cheap these days..invest a few hundred and you can have a top quality audio system.

3. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    audigy 4 and audigy 2 value same chipset rite ??

btw a speaker set with 140 watts RMS,is it powerful ?

4. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    i dont think so, different dacs

5. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
  6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes the AUdigy 4 has the chip you want the 10KX series, it does have slightly different DAC's they lower the SNR a bit. Alot of people say you can hear the difference between a A2 and A4....and yes a 140 watt RMS is LOUD

7. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    difference in which one is better..?

8. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
  9. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    I orderd the Audigy4 from newegg. after the $30 rebate, it will be just over $40. That's only $10 more than what I paid for this SE. So back it goes! =] Thanks for the suggestions and info robscix! :)

10. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Yeah the aud 4 is alot better than that SE, If you have surround sound you will ehar the difference in bf2 and the doom 3 engine, also music will sound a lot more "crisp"

11. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Sweet, got the Creative Inspire 5800 set, so that will be cool!

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yep they should be fine...YEah that's a great deal for a Audigy 4. Your game will sound alot better and should run smoother aswell compared to when playing with Audigy SE. I don't mind giveing people info and advice if they actually take it. I have give advice to people and they get mad about it..I am only here to help. I will tell you I have never had anybody complain about returning a card and getting a new one on my advice they have all been more than happy. Good luck and enjoy.

13. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Yeah, know what you mean... That's why we are all here (well most of us). Hope I can return the favor in the future! :)

14. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    hehehe..i know who got mad..the horsey guy..but then youre such a great help rob..and you too sniper..:)..now im waiting for the Au 4

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    That's what I am here for. Enjoy your new card.

16. Tokintegra

Tokintegra Master Guru

GPU:
    3x BFG 8800GTX OC2 on h20
    I dont know if its been covered already in this thread, but i dont have much time at the moment. I read somewhere that a good reason to get a sound card besides sound quality is that it frees up resources. Is this true? Also, i see lots of very affordable sound cards, would one of these really be better that onboard from a new mobo? Or do you need to spend a bit more on one to actually have an upgrade>?

17. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Read the first post in this thread it should answer your questions.

18. Tokintegra

Tokintegra Master Guru

GPU:
    Well how about my ? about price/quality? I see cards for as low as 20$. Are those worth it? Im really only interested in freeing up resources. Better quality is good too, but how much is a decent card?

19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Don't get anything below a Audigy 2 Value you can get cards above that but not below it..so NO Audigy Values, SB Live 24 Bit, Audigy LS..don't buy any of those I cannot stress this enough. You will be disspointed in the long run if you do. ALot of these card will NOT free up resources...Right now you can get good deals on:
    Audigy 2 Value
    Audigy 2 ZS
    Audyg 4 -all flavors
    That is pretty much the shopping list....judging by your rig your a gamer so these are the gamers cards..of course there is teh X-Fi but it's alot of dough. Hope that helps.
    BTW do you have speakers? planning on buying speakers or using headphones?
    to answer your question yes, you really only get what you pay for but soundcards are really good deals these days..and your games will be soo much better..

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  20. Tokintegra

Tokintegra Master Guru

GPU:
    very much so, thank you