1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onboard Sound Vs. Add in Sound Card

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Mar 10, 2006.

1. sovietwarbear

sovietwarbear Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 2012/9100
    use long time SuperFX3 on my Mobo with HD650 like it then i try asus xonar phoebus and was so much beter but i stop play on pc end 2014 so i sold it 2016 am back on pc game + ps4 and i do miss my old asus xonar phoebus so i look for new one and i got this week asus strix raid DLX and damn sound is so clear even with razer razer surround pro

am now testing what i like more razer surround pro or asus 7.1 sound on my HD650

and control box is so much beter on raid DLX then on xonar phoebus

2. jds112

jds112 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW ACX 3.0
    Saw the sticky and didn't want to start a new thread:

I'm an FPS competitive gamer and footsteps as well as other game sounds are very important to me. I also listen to a lot of music/tv shows through my Sennheisers.

I am trying to figure out if I should move the Sound Blaster Z from my previous build into my new build OR use the on board sound on the new mobo and sell the SB Z with my old rig.

Can't post links yet. The mobo is MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X and the sound card is the Sound Blaster Z. Suggestions?

3. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 570
    Try the onboard first and if it works for you, then sell the SB-Z. If it doesn't move the card over and use it instead.

4. jds112

jds112 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW ACX 3.0
    I was inquiring more about the specs of the 2 and how they compare.

5. SA SYS

SA SYS Active Member

GPU:
    GEFORCE GTX 1080 FE
    guys a question!

my headphone is audio technica ath m30x ... when i connect it to on board sound card or even my creative sound card ... it is not as good as when i connect to my phone ( samsung J5 + jet audio )
    WHY ????! :|
    ( creative driver for my card and creative console luncher didn't help! my headphone is amazing with my phone! but why a sound card isn't good like my phone :( )

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    You may need to bump the gain on the sound card. What is the impedance of your cans?

7. jds112

jds112 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW ACX 3.0
    Can anyone help compare the specs of these 2?

8. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB.
    Your onboard sound is a Realtek ALC1150, with Audio boost 3. Which in my opinion is very good. I personally would use it over the sound blaster.
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=328

9. Pyr0

Pyr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FTW3
    I wish i could still use my Xonar DX instead of the on board audio included on my motherboard (Realtek ALC1150)
    Everything sounds better on the Xonar, movies, music, games but the drivers don't resume from sleep/hibernation very well on my system often causing bluescreens when waking referencing cmudaxp.sys.
    I remove the card and no more bluescreens, just worse audio quality. :(

If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears :p

The last creative based card I had was an Auzentech Prelude, are the newer creative cards/drivers any good?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Running a creative soundblaster recon 3d fatality, use to have high end board but now a very basic one so sound card was a must on this system. Other day I noticed a plug behind my sc spidf i think? Is it mandatory I hook that up or no? Thanks in advance.

11. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I use the onboard AC1150 with SOFTWARE Sound Blaster MB3 Xi-Fi (cpu hogger). Love it. Very good onboard quality. With the X-Fi Crystalizer, OpenAL to EAX via Alchemy for old games and EQ, sounds become livelier.

For competitive gaming, you need to wear headphones anyways and actually do an A vs B test using competitive maps you would play in.

I used to use an Aureal 3D sound card and competitively in counter strike 1.6 I was not bad at all. Agree about 3D positional audio, but with the death of HW accelerated 3D audio, you need to do the AB test yourself.

12. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    I been using a usb c-media ausio adapter.

it actually has better stereo channel separation then my soundblaster zxr.;
    it seems with my zxr card. left and right audio is sometimes mono. and comes out both side. can really pin point locations of gun shots and explosions. probably windows 10 makes it worse seeing creative hasnt made any changes to the drivers for long time. only making changes to the installer and nothing to the drivers.

and its loud...

with the c-media, I have to turn down volume in apps and games. because even at level 1 the thing is loud.

13. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080FTW
    If irrelevant if you have two turds with wires plugged in to them for speakers, i use Harman Kardon Soundsticks III but my Soundblaster Z produces a slightly better gaming experience, the difference is in video playback...for me anyway.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Can you provide a link to the audio adapter you're using???

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Did you pull up the drivers and see if any effects are on? That card should provide crystal clear channel separation.

Again, have a look in the driver and set it up to your liking.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I just received a FiiO K1 Portable Headphone Amplifier and USB DAC that I ordered for my work laptop. The difference in sound is just insane. All I'm using is a cheap set of Logitech Z200 speakers but the sound in no longer flat and heavily distorted. Considering picking up a second FiiO K1 for my desktop....

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    So, we've had the discussion about motherboard audio. What about video card audio? Has anyone tried to get by with AMD or NVidia's HDMI audio?

18. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    HDMI audio is a digital signal. Nvidia and AMD just support the standart for specific HDMI version.
    So as far as video card cappable of sending digital signal according to its HDMI standart, it's good enough.
    It's like comparing if AMD or Nvidia has better resolution or color depth.

"Sound quality" would start from components that change digital signal to analog (DAC), amplifiers that boost analog signal (AMP) and finally speakers that actually produces sound.

Soundcard quality comes from its DAC and AMP components, that justify the sound quality.

EDIT: FiiO K1 Portable Headphone Amplifier that you mentioned, takes digital signal (from USB), converts it to analog signal (DAC) and then amplifies the analog signal (AMP) for headphones so analog signal is loud and clear.
    So "wow" factor in FiiO K1 is DAC (how accurately can it transform digital signal to analog) and AMP (how well can it amplify given analog signal).

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I wasn't asking for a comparison between AMD's HDMI Audio and NVidia's HDMI Audio. I have a FreeSync monitor with built-in speakers that has a habit of causing my SB-Z to get disabled. Doesn't seem to matter how many times I set the SB-Z as the default output device, Windows keeps changing it back to the AMD HDMI Audio. I don't know if it's the AMD drivers causing this, the Creative drivers or yet another Windows bug. It is getting incredibly annoying though.

My options are either to try my FiiO K1 at home....which would actually require ordering another one. Remove the SB-Z and use the onboard audio. Remove the SB-Z and plug my speakers into the headphone out port on my monitor, effectively making use of AMD HDMI Audio.....or ditch Windows altogether in favor of Linux so this problem never happens again, which isn't an ideal solution....

20. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Why not just uninstall AMD audio driver?