Onboard Sound Vs. Add in Sound Card

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Mar 10, 2006.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Anyone know if the Supreme FX audio asus mobo use can use realtek audio driver too? seeing they are realtek chips? apparently not all Supreme FX equipped boards support DTS connect

2. meimeiriver

meimeiriver Member

GPU:
    GTX 980
    I realize your post is from 2006; but, yeah, don't you think your information is slightly outdated?! Like the RealtekĀ® ALC1150 on my new ASUS Z170 Premium motherboard: it's EMI shielded, comes with the high-end Japanese-made audio capacitors, fully separated channels, own Amp for headset, etc.

Not complaining, mind you; but I wouldn't mind seeing a more up-to-date topic on this, as the old mantras no longer necessarily apply to today's onboard audio.

3. meimeiriver

meimeiriver Member

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Btw, does anyone here have the 'Asus Xonar Essence STX II 7.1', using Windows 10? I really want it, but upon some googling, I found out ASUS only offers crappy 8.1.11.5 beta (!) drivers for Win 10 64-bit.

Thanks.

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes, they still do. all in one sound chip solutions do not sound as good as quality gear(cards/dacs)....they just don't. Don't get too caught up in numbers either.
    You can have a high measuring source sound cold and sterile or a low measuring source sounding organic and full of life.
    You think a chip costing the company probably a point of a cent will be on par with high quality audio DAC's that are seen in some of the best gear available for home audio usage?

It is your choice, if the onboard is good enough for you, have at it but understand there is better sound to be had.
    Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    They will never be equal, but the 1150 special now days, ie lightyears better then onboard use to be.

To me a Dedicated sound card is not worth it to me, I till use 15+ year Altec lansing 2.1 speakers for my pc, and I rarely if ever use my A/V unit when I game on my hdtv. My only issue with onboard sound on my Mobo is that headphone jack specially the front jack has alot hissing once you i go past 45% volume on my eternal 3.5m extension with volume control. and that 5 year long issue I had with realtek audio drivers that got fixed with 2.75 drivers.

It is certainly better then the SB live value I had, im sure new dedicated sound cards way better, it come down are you gona hear enough of difference that it worth the extra cost.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Sure, technology always gets better. You have a point, it is what you want and feel you need. Many around here, myself included are audio nuts...we love it and are always looking to get some better sound quality.

If your system suits you, all is good. However keep it in the back of your mind that you can improve almost all facets of your PC world, such as music, movies and gaming with better sound quality.:)

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I know it does, Just like I know the Klipsh 2.1 pro-media speakers blow the ACS48 from altec lansing out of the water, Just cant bring my self to spend 100+ for them and I have wanted them ever since I heard them, price isnt worth if I not really gona use.

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    BTW..if you are getting any hissing, try muting all unused inputs. It is harder with a front jack...

9. meimeiriver

meimeiriver Member

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Apples and oranges. :) A cheap, times-a-dozen sound chip is not going to compete with "some of the best gear available for home audio usage" (costing hundreds of dollars). But the ALC1150 is definitely a step up from the cheap onboard solutions. And the way they implement these, nowadays, really shows some audio maturity.

Having said that, I still feel my old X-Fi sounds better (more dynamic and full). Probably, in no small part, because the Realtek drivers/audio center thingy are rather minimal.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it just the front jack back jack is fine, Though I have it set up to play the same audio from back jack in the front, cause i dont want be switching from sound device to sound device to just switch to headphones and speakers. and I already have the back audio out split with 2nd split going to my hdtv, I dont think spliting 3 way would be good thing to do

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I think you are misunderstanding my post. When I say DAC, I mean a DAC chip. Many modern soundcards use the same DAC chips that are used in flagship home theater receivers(costing thousands). These chips are on a totally different level in comparison to a inferior DAC that would be used in a cheap audio controller found on a mobo. Every generation gets better for onboard in comparison to older controllers of course but they still have a long way to go to compete with cards or standalone DAC's from the same generation.

BTW, realtek drivers are minimal because there is very little to control. Those chips are more of signal routers, no DSP involved.

Long story short, the original post still has as much merit as it did when it was originally written.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    you know I was always under the impression IF you using Optical Out or hell HDMI out at this point from GPU those digital signals are all handled by A/V unit and nothing is really done by the soundcards beyond sending the sound how it was original encoded?

Well other then the fact Realtek Optical out don't support DD let alone 5.1/DTS by defualt and need to be modified to do so, but I always thought optical/hdmi just send audio as it was original encoded and nothing more.

Is that correct or no or more complicated then that.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Basically, yes that is the signal route. That being said, not all digital I/O is created equal. Some think that digital is digital, but there is a bit more to it such as the all important signal timing.

I use a receiver, but I use card for analog output and use my receiver just for amplification, using 6 channel input on the receiver.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    but for most part I am right, it just the quailty of timing other stuff that make the difference?

Cause the analog out to my ACS48 speakers vs optical out to my 10 year old sony DA550ES and the speakers connected to that AV unit are even crappier and old then those ACS48 speaker in 2 channel mode sound better even in pcm prologic mode it sound better.

To bad DTS audio is screw up on that AV unit almost all Voice's wobble and bunch of other sound too., Though I think that has to to Bitstream (direct) vs bitstream (mix) Direct DTS is fine but in Mix it wobbles, and not everything allows me to switch that. like realtek drivers dont allow such changes as result DTS mode mod realtek drivers is useless to me

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes, simply put, if you connect the receiver using a digital line (S/Pdif or HDMI) the receiver does the processing and digital to analog conversion.

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

These would be the drivers to go for.

17. NHK

NHK Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 2GB
    I'm currently an on-board advocate, because it just works!

In my last build I had an X-Fi and it was glorious, and the drivers didn't suck the life out of me.

Skip to my current build and I had bought a SB-Z and the drivers had many annoying quirks.
    I just pulled the card and locked it in the closet to scare away closet monsters, it worked!

I'm also using Microsoft's generic device sound driver, nice and simple.

18. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI XC Ultra
    The main reason why I'm not using onboard with my external dac is it doesn't have features that I want and need which what the asus strix soar has which i send to my dac thru optical. Besides the fact that I have JBL 305 monitor's which I also using with the soar as well and taking advance of the op-amp socket on the card.

I have used my onboard audio and I won't use it even if it works due to the way it produce sound as well like I mention lack features that I want and need.Beside having volume issues when ever I run optical from my motherboard sound to an external dac.

Prior to having this soar, I did have an sound blaster Z as well, mine lasted pretty long til one day it decided to not take it any nore and scream at me with loud buzzing sound on the right channel on both the headphone and speakers right side. Of course it doesn't happen now on the soar, I knew it wasn't my JBL LSR 305's that was doing it as that would be annoy me if it was.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  19. Grenpatterson

Grenpatterson New Member

GPU:
    Evga gtx980 sc ac2.0
    I want also to change to have a Nice sound setup.
    Have the g4me zero (150) connetected on onboard supremefx 2015.
    What should I do?

Buy a shiit stack, a ZXR or both?

I play most of the time fps.

20. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc
    for fps any creative z I think.