Onboard Sound Vs. Add in Sound Card

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    If you do decide to give them a chance, let me know what you think. Having tried them myself I was surprised to find myself enjoying them - the review I linked you is pretty spot on. For what it's worth I generally can't get away with closed back headphones. If I'd caught this discussion a couple of weeks ago I would have outright just mailed you a set of Shure SRH440 I had sat around, ended up giving them up for a charity raffle. Nobody should be subject to Creative Fatal1ty headphones. :p

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  2. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Hahaha, they're soooooooo bad lmao. They aren't even comfortable.

3. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I know I'm pressing a point but if you have a little cash to splash grab the Creative Aurvana and a DG/DGX. Cheap as dirt, the difference will be huge and you'll probably find them a lot more comfortable. Besides, you like the trance? I can very much give the thumbs up for that genre with the Aurvana. I can guarantee a lack of clamping by comparison. Give the entry a chance, and see at that point if you want to splash more out.

4. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Yeah, will do. Don't think I can deal with these headphones any longer. At least the speakers are pretty decent. Fairly clear, flat sound but the dedicated sub ensures adequate bass.

5. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    There is absolutely no reason to suffer ****ty headphones that lack comfort, sound quality, and add up to a number of other issues. Allow me to find you a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF00...2808718&sr=8-1&keywords=creative+aurvana+live

The headphones are 75 bucks. Couple them with a Xonar DG/X depending on what your motherboard supports. You'll spend less than a hundred and the upgrade will be huge. If you need a mic, just use the one attatched to the old headphones until you can buy a stand alone. It will pick up if sat on your desk just as well as it would around your neck. Test it for yourself to find out.

Look after them. I'm sure you will anyway, and when you feel you want to upgrade what has been lost? You've confirmed what you want with sound and have a brilliant backup set. That or you can sell on for not much loss.

6. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Yeah I already saw the price and was quite happy with it. Most likely I'll pick that up with a Xonar DG in a check or two (Have to recover from the $1100 I just spent on those shiny new specs).

7. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I look forward to your impressions. I realise that the shiny cost you a lot, understandable.

8. meatloaf2

meatloaf2 Member

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 3 7850 2GB
    I just picked up a Sennheiser HD 558 (Refurb) and Xonar DGX for $160 after shipping. It will be here in a few days so I'm looking forward to seeing some decent audio for once. I have never had a sound card other than onboard and never had a decent pair of headphones, so I think this is a great starting point and likely a massive boost in audio quality over my TV speakers with my onboard hdmi audio through my GPU.

I'll update in a few days, probably to say how much I hate not having invested in audio before.

From what I've gathered doing research, the DGX will suffice as an amp for the 558s and the 558s themselves are quite comfortable and have great audio, aside from a general lack of bass. Although I would honestly prefer clear and precise audio than really bass heavy audio anyway.

9. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Yeah, the Creative Aurvana Live are great headphones, I use them with my phone. They can sometimes be had for about 50$, the Denon AH-D1000 that they're based on used to go for 200$. They sound quite amazing out of a my desktop dac as well.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  10. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I've been racking my brain trying to remember who they got the design from, thanks for that. I definitely agree, for a closed back design they're incredible for the price.

11. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Welp, I suddenly have about $200 to throw away on audio. Was thinking of going with the Creative Sound Blaster Z + Aurvana combo as an upgrade. Thoughts?

12. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    That sounds like a fine idea to me. I've been hearing good things about the new Creative Z line, and you know what my opinion on the headphones is.

13. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Fabulous then.

14. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I'd be interested in hearing your impressions once you've had some time to use the new kit.

15. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    I will give you a full report when the stuff gets here (most likely Thursday). My poor ears will finally get some proper therapy, lol.

16. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Haha. I'm sure you'll very much enjoy the improvement.

17. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    The CAL arrived before the soundcard, interestingly enough. 1 day shipping from somewhere in Illinois....I guess Newegg wasn't the ones stocking these.

18. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Shame you didn't get the soundcard at the same time, although you only had to wait a couple of days more. A good thing in a way, as you'll better get a feel for the difference between onboard and a soundcard with the new set. How you liking them so far compared to the old kit?

19. IcE

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    So far, music sounds far better, and it keeps sounding better the more I attune to the better hardware. Highs on this set are especially excellent. They're also extremely loud, which is nice (I'll be deaf in no time hehe).

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    try winamp/foobar with Wasapi for music when you get your soundcard :)