Onboard Sound Vs. Add in Sound Card

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Anaksulnamun

Anaksulnamun Member

GPU:
    Onboard 64Mb
    Hey, thank for pointing it out ^_~, so MSI diamond would be considered a great choice....
    OMG, the good 750i is....a plantinum, damn it :(:bang:

2. henz0

henz0 New Member

GPU:
    Evga 9600GT
    hey guys i have a question

is my onboard sound (Realtek ALC883) gonna sound better than a soundblaster audigy 2?

3. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Not even close!

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Most add-in cards are worlds above a onboard but feel free to try for yourself.

5. henz0

henz0 New Member

GPU:
    Evga 9600GT
    i had a feeling it would since the onboard is recent..and the soundcard i think is 6 years old

6. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    To almost repeat the question above, would any of the below cards be worth installing? The only reason I'm asking now is that with my 'new' (several months old) headphones I can really notice frequencies losing volume when others come in. Example of this is in Queen's '39 when the bass/drum comes in for the intro, the guitar really cuts back. It isn't the headphones since it happens with a set of decent speakers too, just I tend not to use them so I never really noticed.

Soundcards in old computers:
    -Creative AudioPCI ES1371/ES1373.
    This one I tried a few songs with and it didn't do the dropout although it did have some crackling. The occasional crackling could have been due to dust however.
    -Creative Vibra 64 (or 128), Ev1938 - CT4730
    -Yamaha YMF719E-S
    -Avance Logic ALS100 7B019S1 The B maybe be an 8 and S a 5, hard to read.

New soundcards in the price range:
    -Creative SoundBlaster 5.1 VX
    -Creative Audig Value 7.1

I'm not really prepared to spend more than the above two (~AU$60 max) since that'd end up almost being as much as that 8800gt I'm thinking about buying. I do realise the soundcards probably wont give any performance increase, that isn't really a concern.

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    those two newer cards wouldn;t be to bad as long as they have TRUE 10KX processors on them. I really suggest you invest in a soundcard though. Your buying a 8800gt to play games..but your gaming experience will be limited by your soundcard. Hope this helps.

8. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Thanks for the quick reply mate. I guess its just that with sound it's a lot harder to preview the upgrade so it never seemed worth the money.
    Would a X-FI Xtreme Audio be worth double the two cards I put up? I know that it isn't a real X-FI but I could always make lunch at home for a week to make up the difference if it'd be worth it.

9. Tinuva

Tinuva Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce™ 8800 GTS Fat
    I have a X-Fi Xtreme audio lying here, biggest mistake I made was buying it in the first place. It is not even remotely close to the Prelude I have now.

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    What about a Xonar DX they are pretty cheap @ $89 USD and would give you much better sound quality then ANY of those cards you listed.

11. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Over here the Xonar DX is the same price as the X-FI Xtreme Gamer (~$180) plus it's only available in a few online stores. I guess I'll see if any of the cards I have currently sound better/work and just save up for a proper sound card.

12. NAJMI ADNAN

NAJMI ADNAN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    The Xonar DX is one heck of a deal, using top of the line Crystal CS4398 DAC that found on expensive X-Fi Elite Pro and professional E-MU 1212M

I still in dilemma, whether I should buy another soundcard or not. Currently I feed my DAC to onboard SPDIF out, the onboard DSP is top of the line Analog Device AD1988B. Oh, I found out that if you want to use onboard sound connect to external DAC using SPDIF, don't ground it to PC. It eliminates tons of noise

Everything sounds perfect, but my hands are itchy to buy Xonar DX even with limited funds, but I afraid I might end up killing another card because of modding :p

13. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Looks like I can get a Xonar D2X for the same price as a DX (DX=shipped, D2X=at local store) however it is 'coming soon'. I'll give the place a call up on Monday to see if it'll actually be there this year or not. There's also a D2 but that just has 'call to check' for everything, even the price. So I'll know Monday which one I'll be aiming for.

The pci-e cards can definitely go into a 16x pci-e slot, right? I can't really use my other pci-e slots due to my graphics card.

14. NAJMI ADNAN

NAJMI ADNAN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    Yes, you can put smaller lanes PCIe cards on bigger lanes slot, but not vice versa

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    @Pudding, what about getting a friend to send you a card in the mail? Might be a much cheaper way to go.

16. Ekajaya"VaLvE"

Ekajaya"VaLvE" Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770
    Is auzentech x-plosion a good soundcard? will i notice a different using Sennheiser 161 headset with onboard soundcard and using this one? thx for the reply.

17. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    IT is better then onboard. I am pretty sure that card has replaceable opaamps also so you can swap them out with some better units and have better sound quality. I suggest some LM4562's or OPA2227's there are also a few more.

18. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Add-in soundcards are better than integrated solutions indeed.

The first PC I ever used had some crappy ESS integrated soundchip. It sucked, but so did my speakers, so it wasn't a big deal.

Then I bought my first PC and used the Soundmax audio chipset. I gotta say it wasn't bad at all for an integrated solution. Never looked for an add-in soundcard by then, since I had bought a low-end 2.1 logitech speaker set. As the previous audio chip/speakers combo I had, they were on par with each other.

Eventually, I bought what is now my current rig and wanted to go digital, but for cheap; so I got myself a Turtle Beach Montego DDL. Even with crappy speakers, I could tell the difference between that card and the Realtek chip on my motherboard: the integrated chip would pop, squeal, etc. That difference grew even bigger when I bought a Z-5500 — which I had bought for the s/pdif connexion. I tried the Realtek chip with the speakers once... Argh. Never again.

But now I got a Xonar, and it's world's apart from anything I've owned so far.

- First, because of the sound quality: I can hear many, many sounds I couldn't hear beforehand. And I'm not just talking about acoustic music here; everytime I test a game, or a song I often listen to, I'm happy I got the Xonar (I had doubts upon it making a real difference before);

- Secondly, because of the features: bass management makes my Z-5500 happy — I somehow seemed to always have either too much or too little bass with the Montego DDL — and DTS-C, which, even though not a must have, may come in handy. Besides, I haven't had any problems software-wise(*), let alone any BSOD. With the Montego DDL, I had two choices when it came to drivers: either the lousy Turtle Beach drivers that didn't keep my equalizer settings if the sound panel wasn't open (easily fixed, but I don't expect drivers to behave that way by default), or the generic C-media drivers with which I'd get a BSOD if I had a programme set to s/pdif and my Z-5500 set to direct (analogue) mode.

At the end of the day, it depends first on what your budget is, but more importantly on what speakers or receiver you own.

Hooking up top of the line, say, Davis Acoustics speakers to the analogue ports on your motherboard isn't that much of a clever thing to do, as is buying an expensive soundcard with excellent DACs and connect it to, say, a Z-5500 through s/pdif — you certainly won't achieve the best sound quality in either scenario.

(*) I did have a problem with my central/subwoofer, which were switched with my rear speakers. Switched them with each other and got my channels right. Just a labelling mistake on the backplane, I guess.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  19. Andrik1

Andrik1 Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS SSC 640Mb
    Hey everyone, I'm new to the whole sound card stuff, so I was just wondering if my onboard ALC888S card is bad and what would be the best sound card for a 2.1 speaker system (yes I know it's only a 2.1) and if there even is a point in changing to a new audio card with the one I currently have onboard. And another question would be what is this Virtual Sound option that I have in my sound card settings, it barely describes anything about it so should I turn it on or off... Thank you.

20. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Merc
    damn im happy that i've sold x-fi, it sucked so much:puke2:
    damn im happy - got razer barracuda ac-1 soundcard, it eats x-fi w/o ketchup:banana:
    damn my onboard hd audio suck on my stereo speakers....2 weeks with it and was long as year for me...

so yes,, while i was with onboard only, i can tell - IT SUCKS!

and damn, my microlab solo 7C are decent speakers, i love them