Onboard memory

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Wildman95GS-T, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Wildman95GS-T

Wildman95GS-T Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 2000
    Hi, i know this post will get some smack, so be it, i need help. I recently purchased a new Gateway DX4850-27EU computer, this will be used by my wife to do basic word processing, internet and photo editing. The system has 6gb's of ram and onboard Intel HD Graphics 2000, on the system spec sheet it states that i have 6114MB of video memory. When i go to the bios, i only see options for 64mb(default) and 128mb. How can i adjust the system so that i can use all avaliabe memory.
    I really do not want to have to get a video card, but if things start stutering, what is a good low power consumption card that will work on this system i can purchase ?

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    The 6gb of RAM is shared by your video card. It will use some of your RAM as needed.

3. Wildman95GS-T

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 2000
    So i do not have to adjust, it will use what is needed as long as Windows does not need it ?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  4. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    Your system is already using the 6Gb of system RAM, the 64mb / 128mb etc is how much system memory you want to allow the onboard Intel HD Graphics 2000 to have access to from the 6GB, so if you are running Vista / 7 you might be wanting 128Mb or higher, but to be honest you could set it to the highest as you will never use all 6GB ram for word processing anyway

5. Wildman95GS-T

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 2000
  6. Wildman95GS-T

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 2000
    Can someone give me a recommendation as to what video card i can add to this system so that i can get away from on-board video. I do not want to have to replace the power supply.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    nVidia GT210/220 or Radeon HD5450, 5570, 5670... Those are my recommendations based on power usage. None of them requires any additional power and are more than capable of filling the needs of photo-editing...so long as you're not looking to do any 3D rendering.

8. Wildman95GS-T

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 2000
  9. Wildman95GS-T

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 2000
    I have another small problem, my spec sheet that came with my computer only states pci-e 16x not 2.0 or 2.1. The Gateway web site is useless as it tell you nothing about the components in the computer. How can i determine if it is 2.0 or 2.1 ?

10. Wildman95GS-T

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 2000
    Not sure if this will help anyone but i have searched everywhere and could not get an answer. I just started making changes in my bios and got things running much faster. Under shared video i have 64mb(default) and 128mb, i set it to 128mb. Under DVMT i had three settings 128mb, 256mb(default) and maximum. I set this to maximum, now all my graphics just pop on not take for ever one at a time at default settings. I have 6gb of ram and do not play games so i do not thing i will have any problems running short of ram.

11. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Since there's little info to be gained by searching around the internet it will be difficult to determine how much power your PSU can deliver without it going under too much stress. If only you could find out one way or another how much wattage it can deliver and, more importantly, the amperage it can cope with on the 12 V rail before it pops then that would be a good start.

Without trying to bash you or anything, I do however like to point out the fact these low brand computers typically use some kind of rubbish PSU that dies fast and more often than not takes at least part of the other hardware down along with it when it dies. To make matters worse, as a PSU gets older, although depending on usage as well as the ambient temperatures it has to endure, the maximum amount of power that can be drawn from it becomes worse. For this reason, you also have to factor in somewhere between 20% and 30% more wattage and that's IF you're dealing with a high quality PSU - so to keep things safe I'd rather go with the 30% rather than just 20%. To make a long story short, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out there's not enough wattage left for a worthwile vidcard upgrade. Nevertheless, I'll make a wish.

12. Wildman95GS-T

GPU:
    Intel HD Graphics 2000
    The power supply in this computer is a POC Liteon PS6301-08A3, i will not add another video card until i purchase another power supply. It is really sad the junk computer manufactures put in their computers :(

13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    All you really need is 128 MB of VRAM for basic Windows 7 operation and Aero effects.

Personally I would've suggested an AMD E-350 based solution instead since it's fanless, use a lot energy than the Core i3 Sandy Bridge solution and has a better GPU.

deltatux

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011