OLED, QD-OLED, QDEL + Mini, MLA & microLED -> Monitors Super Thread

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by OnnA, Apr 8, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    tcl achieves some crazy stuff but their tech doesn't last most of the time. Even rtings is finally doing something where they go back and keep rerating screens as they age. Hisense and TCL have the worst ratings, the quickest dimming, etc.

TheDigitalJedi and tunejunky like this.
  2. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    TCL panels have too large of a pitch (pixel size), too few leds, and obvious spacing between the led panels inside the display over 65"
    if you sit +3m back - ok, but if you're close yowser

TheDigitalJedi and Serotonin like this.
  3. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming
    When I worked in an electronics store TCL was the second worst brand of TV's we had. They were always the ones we had a ton of during Black Friday.

4. piet11111

piet11111 Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 24GB X
    What was the absolute worst ?
    And what are reliable brands in your experience ?

5. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    BIG UPDATE! For those among us (and others searching the web) that have Samsung QD-OLED TV's, mainly S90C/S95C, I've finally found a way to get rid of the vast majority of VRR flicker. I tried a few days when I first got the TV to get rid of VRR flickering but eventually just gave up and put up with it. It was somewhat distracting in SDR and very distracting in HDR.

The single setting that made the largest difference is "Contrast Enhancer" under "Picture -> Expert Settings -> Contrast Enhancer". While I was in there I did hours of testing with the "Shadow Detail" setting in the same section and it did make a difference in the amount of VRR flicker. Leaving Shadow Detail at 0 and turning off Contrast Enhancer has gotten rid of the vast majority of VRR flicker. Another setting that made a small difference when it is at 0 is "Dynamic Black Equalizer" setting under the "Connection -> Game Mode Settings" section.

Between those 3 settings being Off or 0 there is very little VRR flicker on some load screens with wildly variable frame rates, but overall the experience is so much better than what I had before. I have had to go through and completely revamp all my color and brightness settings to try and account for turning those other things off, but it is very close to where it was and I'm sure after a few days I'll be used to the new settings. :) I really hope this can help some people that are having ridiculous VRR flicker on these screens.

tunejunky and TheDigitalJedi like this.
  6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Even though this is workaround to minimalise the VRR flicker , it is a warm welcome! Thanks for sharing.

This VRR flicker is my main concern to get a OLED Tv or monitor. I have seen it on my friends S90C , it was actually more apparent then I had thought.
    I'm not getting OLED before this gets fixed.

TheDigitalJedi and Serotonin like this.
  7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I thought VRR flickering comes from fluctuating, inconstant fps delivered to the display...

8. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I think I give up for now. I wanted an ultrawide, maybe one that was oled. After searching and searching and realizing how.....fickle oled is, I tried looking for something ips/va and I was unable to find an ultrawide with solid HDR and contrast. So then I gave up on UW and just searched for something 32 inch. Again, fickle oled and crap va/ips panels. The monitor market is garbage. I don't understand how such an enthusiast hobby is so poorly supported by these companies to produce decent monitors. Buy a top end 4090 to have low contrast crap with few dimming zones, or a high end oled and risk burn in, get used to low nits, no support for hdmi 2.1 unless lg panel, vrr flicker on everything, etc. So many caveats. It's crazy.

I understand oled is one thing, it's a new technology for the most part. But the dimming zones on these ips and va panels are embarrassing. Even the mini led monitors. I can't find anything decent.

Meanwhile, tv's are just loaded with good stuff. Even a modestly priced x90l from sony has great peak brightness, high contrast, 2 hdmi 2.1 ports, etc. I just don't want something that big in my office.

Oled, lg c3 42 inch seems to be the closest thing I would get. But again, oled. I do too much non gaming on my desktop to feel comfortable. It will always be on my mind. Watching static images, worrying. Just a hassle.

It's a shame the new Bravia 7 is so expensive. That's mini led done right. I think I'm just going to have to wait another year or so for monitors to catch up to tvs. Which is so weird to say. That's like saying waiting for pc's to catch up to consoles. Market is in such a weird place.

At least I learned a good amount about the tech before purchasing... again @tunejunky was a big help and I thank you.

Last edited: May 30, 2024
  9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Most of the time, depending on the panel it also happens in dark scenes and menus. But as we enter UE5 territory I foresee a lot of inconsistent frames on most systems.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  12. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    ACER Unveils New OLED Predator Gaming Monitors: X27U F3 FHD & QHD 480Hz, X32 X3 4K 240Hz, X34 X5 WQHD 240Hz

More -> https://wccftech.com/acer-oled-gami...-qhd-480hz-x32-x3-4k-240hz-x34-x5-wqhd-240hz/

ACER Releases A Trio of OLED Gaming Monitors In Its Predator Family: X27U F3, X34 X5 & X32 X3

Press Release: Acer today announced three new gaming monitors in its Predator lineup, designed to appeal to professional gamers and gaming enthusiasts who want reliable machines for everyday use.
    The new models include the Predator X27U F3, Predator X34 X5, and Predator X32 X3 featuring brilliant OLED displays, high refresh rates, and ultra-smooth performance.

These powerhouse monitors are NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible to eliminate stuttering, flicker, and visual artifacts for a smooth and tear-free experience.
    The monitors also seamlessly integrate AMD FreeSync Premium Pro to eliminate ghosting, provide fluidity, and ensure that every frame is rendered flawlessly.

With true 10-bit color depth, they deliver cinematic visuals with stunning contrast and vibrant colors further enhanced by DCI-P3 99% color gamut and Delta E<1 color accuracy.
    In addition, VESA DisplayHDR True Black 400 ensures deep blacks and incredible brightness for lifelike visuals.

Predator X27U F3: A Speed Demon for Serious Gamers

The Predator X27U F3 is a 27-inch OLED gaming monitor built for breakneck speed and ultra-smooth gameplay with a blistering 480 Hz refresh rate and a 0.01 ms pixel response time.
    It brings gamers into a world of stunning visuals with WQHD (2560x1440) resolution for sharp details.

Outfitted with Type-C and two HDMI 2.1 ports, it supports both console and PC gameplay and includes a tripod mount socket on the monitor stand allowing gamers and streamers to attach accessories such as a webcam or screen light.

tunejunky likes this.
  13. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    [​IMG]

$700
    240Hz LG panel w/ heat sink
    out of box calibration not perfect but same response time as the ROG- among the three fastest OLEDs on the market w/ Acer & ROG
    SDR 450 nits HDR 1000 nits

OnnA and pedropaulo like this.
  14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Alright. So on a complete random best buy (electronic store in the states) trip I left with a Alienware aw3225QF which all reviews praise as one of the best if not best OLED you can buy right now.

I have to say, maybe it's being on mini led before this. But I really find Oled underwhelming and will be returning this monitor. It's 32 inches and 4k, great, the 32 inches is a nice bump up from the 27 mini led, but not necessary for me. I can tell there are deeper blacks. No blooming, though blooming has never really been something I pay attention to or get upset about honestly.

The problem few are mentioning that I found out is, all these 3rd gen qd led panels are underperforming in HDR1000. And it's on purpose thanks to a Samsung power control feature. The HDR plain sucks. Having a mini led, I'm used to very bright scenes. I knew I would be downgrading to dimmer scenes but was not aware of the bug of this panel. Furthermore, I just don't see enough here in quality to justify the $1,100 price tag.

Mini Led, for me, is a much higher quality, better panel for gaming. Especially if you enjoy HDR. I may try the LG C3 42 inch as I originally intended as the one oled I was curious about. The Alienware was a total spur of the moment impulse buy, one left in stock and I said why not.

Pros
    *Deeper blacks
    *Punchy colors (but mini led, I feel matches this)
    *High refresh rates
    *No blooming (never been an issue with me)

Cons
    *Not enough difference over mini led to justify the price
    *Too many options you have to learn - there's 7 different hdr options in the menu. Pixel refresh, a console mode, etc.
    *Possibility of burn in.
    *HDR1000 is garbage, after a 10% window, anything over that is actually dimmer than the trueblack hdr400 option. And while sites are calling it a bug, Dell has acknowledged it is a limitation of the samsung 3rd gen panels and will not have a firmware to change this.
    *Overall dimmer than even a ips/va
    *I just don't get the hype. The picture is marginally better, it's not the OMG THIS IS HOW TO GAME I CAN NEVER GO BACK TO SOMETHING NOT OLED, that I read from many users. Maybe they were previously on a monitor from years ago that had no hdr capability or decent color profile. For me, it's better but not nearly what I was hyped to think I would see.
    *Windows HDR still sucks. I will say console games looked much better with trueblack400 than on pc. I've calibrated windows, I even downloaded a few profiles, there's just something not right and it's been this way for years with multiple monitors. PS5 benefited the most from this monitor.
    *No speakers. You pay all this money. Throw me some shitty speakers, why? Consoles. You push this as console compatible but no speakers. Just an earc hmdi.

I'm going to return this and try the lg c3, which is 42 inches and supposedly brighter. But I'm at the point of not wanting to even bother with that and just stick with the mini led 27 inch I have for now.

Also, I ran both, my mini led and my oled monitors together to look for differences. It was hard to find many aside from mini led being much, much, much brighter. And OLED has some deeper blacks that again, for me were negligible.

I tried this with Gears 5, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Robocop, and Kena on PC.
    On PS5, Spider-Man 2, Wipeout, Gow Ragnarok, Matrix Demo

Matrix Demo was the one game I noticed a real difference that made me take notice. If every game looked like this, I would have a different opinion of OLED.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2024
  15. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Alright, ok, stop the presses. I take back some of my negatives from yesterday. Silly me. So, I was improperly calibrating HDR for Windows. I'm not used to having so many options on the monitor menu. This Monitor has HDR Desktop, HDR Custom, HDR1000, HDRTrueBlack, HDR Game and so on. Because I wanted the brightest HDR, I selected the HDR1000, calibrated it and that was that. The problem is I then spent testing the monitor with this profile but made a change to HDRTrueBlack after reading about the HDR1000 issue on these panels. Trueblack just looks better and ends up brighter outside of the 10% window.

But I was using it with a profile made for HDR1000.

Last night it occurred to me to calibrate for HDRTrueBlack which hits 470 nits vs. 1010 in HDR1000. Wow. What a difference. The profile helped this a lot. For some reason things kind of looked washed out on the hdr1000 profile, now everything looks much sharper. Again, I'm not shitting my pants over how different it looks, but it is a noticeable upgrade in picture quality. One I'm much happier with.

I will say, I also tested a few movies yesterday, just some scenes, didn't have time to actually watch the full movies. But, John Wick 2 for instance. Ok. Movies, which, now it's a shame I'm not a big movie guy, but I will say, on this monitor movies look incredible. HDR pops better than my 1500 nit Sony tv. The Picture quality is insane. I can say movies look phenomenal on this screen. Completely crazy. The stuff I read gamers say about games and OLED I feel about movies. So, I have to give that it's fair acknowledgement.

I have a little time again tonight to test and then the monitor will sit for a week. So I'm going to do my best to figure out if I'm keeping it now or not. I feel much better about it after last night than I did writing the first review post.

tunejunky and AuerX like this.

16. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Interesting! I love reading thorough and well explained posts like this. Personally, I came from a 3 year old VA panel that I usually kept at half (25/50) brightness and the QD-OLED I have now I can barely use at more than 5/50 for gaming and 15/50 for movies.

What room do you have these Mini-LED and QD-OLED screens in? Bright with lots of natural sunlight or lots of artificial light from bulbs and stuff? I can partly understand you saying the AW3225QF was dim because when I first assembled and turned on this QD-OLED it was midday in the brightest room in the house. I jacked it up to max brightness and it seemed fine to me, but in reality the screen will live out its life in an always dark room with blackout curtains and very low lighting from one bar light underneath the back of the LA-Z-BOY.

I have found the deep blacks and vibrant colors to be fantastic in this dark room and I often even turn down the brightness to 0/50 if I am having to type or read for an extended amount of time. Looking forward to your response so I can better inform friends that will surely come to me soon asking about what monitors they should get.

tunejunky and Serotonin like this.
  17. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I think I just have a bias to bright lights. The Mini Led and OLED are in my office, very dark, like you, blackout curtains, a few led lights on some bookshelves when in the mood for them, otherwise it's a very dark room. I had the mini led brightness maxed out (probably around 500 nits vs 238 of OLED). I'm an HDR junkie. Even if it's not the most accurate, I love the brightness. I am learning about color and light accuracy using the aw3225qf now though and have an appreciation for it. I have the brightness on the OLED at the default 75 - I want to turn it up to 100 but I'm worried the extra brightness will make it more susceptible to burn in. Though in game I do seem to toggle those brightness settings more now.

Both monitors have their highs and lows. I will say, mini led monitors, if blooming bothers you, is not ready yet. I personally just never cared...well...I just got used to blooming, like, this is what monitors do. The VRR flickering on menus with OLED is much more annoying to me. I have learned to set the fps limit in nvidia control panel to 58 fps and it stops most flickering. I can see getting more adjusted to the OLED and the level of brightness its capable of. It's not terrible at all. Just takes some getting used to. I think now that I have the HDR working much better, I'm overall happier with the monitor. If the monitor were $200 cheaper I'd recommend it all day long. At $1100 ehhhhh.....you can get OLEDs for $800 that are very close in quality. And Dell support seem like assholes. I've perused the dell forums and they are very indignant toward any issues brought to their attention. MSI and Asus support on the other hand seems very hands on with the community. So that's another thing to look at.

I'd tell your friends the adw34 alienware is probably the best bang for the buck. It's usually on sale on Dell and other sites for $800 - it's HDR is actually a few nits higher than the aw3225qf but it's only 1440p - which isn't always a bad thing! Much easier on the gpu than 4k. I was prepared to go down to 1440p from my 4k mini led, I figured it would save me money in the long run on a gpu upgrade. But, well. Here I am. Lol. Still on 4k. Oh...something I didn't research that kind of stinks....apparently a lot of these oleds don't do DSR. I was pushing close to 6k via DSR in a lot of games that now I'm stuck at native 4k in. Not a huge issue. but it's a feature I enjoyed that is no longer available. Especially in older titles.

tunejunky likes this.
  18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Im fine with my OLEDs HDR :p
    All set up and working great (if done right by a game dev.).

It's so bright sometimes You have a feeleing that sun just blinds You :cool:

[​IMG]

tunejunky, Serotonin and pedropaulo like this.
  19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

tunejunky likes this.
  20. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    So my story goes on lol. Last night I went back to best buy, because I'm just not 100% content with the Alienware. And in the back of my head I couldn't stop thinking about how QD LED is more prone to burn in than WOLED. So I bought the LG C3 (42 inch), what I originally intended to get. Ok. I take back all my negatives about OLED. It's beautiful. I don't know if this Alienware just sucks, or if I got a bad unit (doubtful) or what. But the differences between the two are huge. The LG C3 has much better PQ. Sharper, crisper images. I read multiple sites claim the LG's color is dimmer/saturated. I find it the opposite, it's very vibrant and more in your face than the Alienware. The HDR pops, the blacks are deeper. I am very happy with this tv. And hey, 10 inches bigger and $300 cheaper!

My only complaint about the LG is VRR Flickering. Man it's bad. Every menu, several dark scenes in a game. I'll have to give a good read to the thread here on fixes for it. It's not a deal breaker but it's way more noticeable here than on the Alienware.

LG C3 vs. Alienware AW3225QF for me

Pros of Alienware
    32 inches = better PPI ?
    240mhz refresh
    Much better built/looks better - slight curve to screen, very sturdy stand, just looks much nicer
    Lots of firmware support
    3 year warranty (but everything I've read from people who have used it say they get refurbs which is kind of bs to me)
    4K Resolution
    VRR Flicker not as bad as on LG

Cons of Alienware
    HDR is rough
    Not as sharp/PQ not as good to me vs LG the alienware almost looks fuzzy around edges of characters and some objects, very weird and distracting
    Way too many options in the OSD for a monitor, just make it basic and let me play
    Expensive for what you get
    Can't use DSR (not sure if you can on LG to be fair, haven't tried)
    Only 2 HMDI out and one of them is earc and there are no speakers so you are basically down to 1 hdmi 2.1 if you want sound with consoles

Pros of LG
    Much better PQ - even at 42 inches it looks sharper than the 32 inch Alienware
    Much brighter HDR
    4 HDMI 2.1 out, one being earc leaving 3 more for pc and consoles
    It has it's own speakers, I have a sound bar now but it's something I'm now appreciating after the alienware
    Cheaper but the quality doesn't suffer.
    It's a tv so it has all the streaming apps on it, I can be lazy and use the remote after gaming and just watch whatever in my office if the Wife is on the other tv.
    4K resolution

Cons of LG
    120hz refresh (this isn't a con for me, I'm mainly single player games, 120hz is fine but I list it for anyone that needs more)
    VRR Flicker. This is the one main issue this tv has. If it didn't have this, man 10/10 for me.
    Looks kind of cheap compared to Alienware as far as build wise. Just looks like a generic tv. But when you turn it on, you don't care.

Again, big thanks to @tunejunky for taking the time to explain a lot to me and help me know what to research and look for. Ironically enough, I went against everything he said with the Alienware due to impulse (wasn't even thinking of the info when at the store, consumerism caught me) and now, taking his advice with a WOLED, I'm quite happy. Thank you, sir!

Now to pack up the Alienware and return it this weekend.

tunejunky and Mufflore like this.