OLED, QD-OLED, QDEL + Mini, MLA & microLED -> Monitors Super Thread

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by OnnA, Apr 8, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Strange that it would blank playing 24fps material at higher refresh. Hopefully its just a playback issue. I use MPC-BE and MPC-HC with any video codec and dont get this.
    What video player/codec?
    Is this with the optical HDMI cable?
    I'm glad it works great at 24Hz which matters most :)

Yeah the colours/definition and HDR pop are incredible, wonderful display.
    I find myself adjusting brightness and gamma on occasion to suit the video, whether it be TV or computer playback. Its great being able to dial in to the best possible, even with seriously poor material.

Speaking of which, noisy video has become much less noisy over time, like the AI worked out how to deal with it better, giving a much smoother looking image with almost no edge distortions + those present are tough to see.
    And the more often I watch TV at very low brightness, the better it looks. ie clearer, better colour definition/separation ...
    I have to wonder what the experience is like on other TVs over time. Is it just my TV having to learn all this from scratch?
    Regardless, its an astonishing picture!

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    No matter what you do, I hope you get better soon! What sounds like a dream isn't really desirable after all, staying at home due to "a broken leg"... :(

TheDigitalJedi and XenthorX like this.
  3. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Took 8 days before getting back enough flexibility to change socks on right feet :confused:
    I've a supportive family that prevent making this whole experience extremely depressive, but damn every simple task of the daily life became a challenge.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  4. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Recover soon Bro. Keep a warm pad and the Motrin nearby if needed. I'm glad you can enjoy your TV and MacBook.

OnnA and XenthorX like this.

5. piet11111

piet11111 Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 24GB X
    Get well soon.

I cant imagine what your injury must be like but having had severely bruised ribs i remember how much it sucked trying to get up and get some painkillers in.
    Really hope you listen to your body because stubbornness can get you far it wont speed up recovery.

XenthorX likes this.
  6. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    Just found out the Firefox doesn't support HDR
    I did find the Youtube HDR videos a bit "weak", and using Chrome its a different, far better, image.

XenthorX likes this.
  7. hypnotize99

hypnotize99 Member

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I've been trying HDR in a couple of games and I always have to manually activate HDR in Windows before staring the games. Haven't been able to test a game that activate HDR at game start. I made a script to activate HDR, but it's rather cumbersome.

I'm using windows 10. Does Windows 11 improve in this aspect or have been unlucky and every games I tested needed HDR activated before starting?

8. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    Windows 11 is better for HDR games, even more because the calibration app for HDR is only, if not mistaken, for W11
    That said, most of the games still need to have HDR enabled to work .
    Some , few, launch it automatically.
    You can use this utility to do it automatically:
    https://github.com/Codectory/AutoActions

tunejunky, hypnotize99 and signex like this.
  9. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    How do you guys clean your glossy oled panels?

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Use a microfibre cloth and if needed breathe on the screen before wiping. This usually removes 99.99% of marks.

Anything more stubborn can usually be removed by one of those alcohol-free sprays. Make sure the monitor is turned off otherwise the heat will cause streak marks. Spray onto the cloth itself not the screen then wipe the screen across in the same direction (don't do the spiral motion) and the moisture should evaporate without leaving any streaks on the panel. This is how I used to clean the screen on my previous IPS monitor with a matte screen coating but it is no different for any other screen in my opinion.

JAMVA, tunejunky and signex like this.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    This is a confusing topic thanks to Samsung.
    I tried looking up how to clean my 2023 S95C OLED TV and Samsungs website is f'ing dire.
    The only thing I found via google is this for 2022 TVs, using microfibre cloth and water.
    https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00046181/

User experiences of water on the S95C are not good, leaving streaks.
    Others found that using high % alcohol to wipe the screen afterward fixed the problem which is caused by the particular anti glare layer.

I remember reading somewhere that I should use only microfibre cloths to wipe my TV.
    So perhaps this is the best thing to regularly do and pray you dont spill anything on it!
    Getting solid information from Samsung about cleaning spittle etc doesnt appear possible for my TV, perhaps you can do better for your display.

signex likes this.
  12. hypnotize99

hypnotize99 Member

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Kind of unfortunate to use a third party app just for HDR.

In what way Windows 11 is better for HDR games? I know auto-hdr, but that's not something I'm interested in and I would like to avoid W11, as I very much like Windows 10 LTSC.

13. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The Auto HDR setting in Windows 11 would be far, far better if it was actually a setting that enabled HDR for games when you launched them rather than just being an SDR to HDR colour space converter, which can sometimes look good but often doesn't.

I got my first HDR monitor (Dell AW2725DF QD-OLED) last week and while I absolutely love the monitor, I find the implementation of HDR in Windows to be disappointingly clunky, requiring me to enable and disable it on the desktop using the (admittedly handy) Windows key + Alt + B shortcut prior to launching a game because if I don't then most games will not allow me to toggle the in-game HDR setting to on. And if I enable HDR and find that the game doesn't support HDR then the colours will not be correct and to fix this I have to exit the game, disable HDR using the shortcut then reload it. Clunky, right?

It's a mess in my experience and not what I expected from a PC feature in 2024. On my PS5, I enable HDR in the Settings with it disabled for the dashboard and it is automatically enabled when an HDR supported game is launched. Simple. So why doesn't it work like on PC?

I really do not want to have to rely on a third-party app to do this. I've tried AutoActions but found it confusing to use. I was hoping that it would have some kind of auto detection for game HDR but it doesn't and instead relies on me having to add each game individually. Also, despite having it set to not start with Windows, it was just displaying on the desktop anyway, and I had to actually manually disable the startup option.

14. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    This seems to work thanks. There is still some small streaks in the bottom right corner but its barely noticeable.

tunejunky likes this.
  15. hypnotize99

hypnotize99 Member

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    That's disappointing to hear. So Windows 11 won't change anything for me. Thanks for confirming.

I really like HDR, but I haven't even enabled it in Metro Exodus that I'm playing right now.

16. Andrewtst

Andrewtst Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    If you can wait, then wait but seems this year no Ultrawide version announcement yet, so I not sure how long need to wait for 2nd gen in Ultrawide.

This year until now only have Wide and Super Ultrawide in Gen 2 or Gen 3. Gen 2 and 3 is using same pixel arrangement which had better text clarity closed to RGB.

17. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Sorry for late reply. MPC-BE, MPC-HC, VLC all did this kind of thing until I matched screen refresh to content refresh. As for codec I guess whatever was default for those various players?

I've also been getting lots of VRR flicker and display blanking/blackouts when playing some old Xbox/360 games locked at 30 FPS, and Heroes of Might & Magic 7 which seems to disregard any and all NVCP settings so it just sits and bounces off 144 FPS causing weird issues. I'll probably try another nice cable I got just to try and rule out more variables.

Having said all that, I'm still loving this TV so much and the vast majority of the time it is a joy to behold.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Was this with the optical HDMI cable?

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Usually its human imperceptible strobing that nvidia fails the displays on.

20. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Yeah, the 3 foot long optical HDMI cable. The dropouts and black screens are quite bad when trying to play Eternal Sonata in RPCS3. The game natively runs at both 30 and 60 FPS (30 in gameplay, 60 in menus) and that seems to mess with stuff while the TV is set to 144Hz in Windows.

I'll try another 6 foot non optical HDMI cable I got and see if it differs in any way, but honestly it seems like I'll just have to get used to clicking a few more buttons to change things like refresh rates and VRR on/off depending on the content I'm about to watch or play.