Old Tweak I Miss NiBiTor GPU Ram Timings....

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by ColdFlo, Mar 14, 2016.

1. ColdFlo

ColdFlo Banned

GPU:
    EVGA780ACXSCMSI780GMSI680
    Anyone know how to find the timings in the Bios Rom? Any master bios people or Hex Editors out there that now how to track down the nv_pfb_timing registers? Too bad mavke and mvktech site went down and NiBiTor is no longer supported(6 series forward I found some video on youtube in italian about doing something with the checksum in the 6 series bios in NiBiTor would have to type all the text into google translate from the video to get an idea of what hes saying and its not just like a really fast copy past operation(you can clearly see these at the end of the bios in a hex editor) because I sure miss being able to tweak those(we should have access to them just like we do system ram). I still have that old nTimings.exe and I ran that but when I search the bios rom for that hex data I come up with nothing.... is it encrypted or in another format? Help appreciated maybe we could get something started here and actually figure it out. If we figure it out I'll write up a guide to tell everyone how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZnn2C2d5kw

Hmm this is interesting I always wondered what the timingsets stood for in NiBiTor....
    http://forums.guru3d.com/printthread.php?t=264654&pp=25&page=10

The footage is MP4. I read your thread and I have the exactly the same problem:
    "Hey, Aqua did the magic and now I'm happy!
    But one drawback, for unknown reasons my card uses one timingset (according to Nibitor) when Geforce and another when Quadro .I matched the timingset of quadro (timingset 1) after the one geforce uses (timingset 2) but still my card crashed when it used intensively the videocard's ram,(Premiere, After Effects.....CUDA encoding) so i had to underclock the memory from 800 (stock) to 750 now, to work stable .I lost a little speed but it works ok now.
    Anybody had encountered the same problem?"

Looks like converting their card from GeForce to Quadro and unlocking the driver recognition and different functionality that this person realized in NiBiTor that the card was no longer using TimingSet 2 and now used TimingSet 1(to autoselect timingsets you have to be in XP and running older drivers(forgot what caused that functionality of NiBiTor to break its been many years now).

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
  3. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    but both Kepler and maxwell tweaker doesn't support ram timings, or any timings .

You can change clock values of different area's of GPU .

Personally if you OC till its stable would probably be same or even better than just tightening the timings , Just like you see with system ram .

4. ColdFlo

ColdFlo Banned

GPU:
    Yeah I know about those but I remember back in the day I tweaked my 8800gtx ram timings in NiBiTor and man it made them snappy and upped the fps a little bit too and made sli more fluid and less latency. God I would pay someone 100 bucks to know where those registers were and what encoding decoding was necessary to access them I searched those roms for all those values and I come up with nothing but I'm no hex or bios hacker and have no clue where to start.

5. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    NiBiTor is editing bios, just like MBT, but its just MBT hasn't opened memory timings up to GUI.
    But again, that said most new cards memory OC can go from 7ghz to 7.8-8.1ghz which is sizable improvement in higher res an AA settings.

6. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Being able to tweak GPU memory timings on modern cards would be fantastic. If you think vram OC's good now just wait until you can do that! Plus such a tool may allow adding voltage to memory like you can on certain MSI cards, except this would be through the bios so it would be applied regardless of software! :)

We need a hex editor/GPU bios genius with a lot of spare time for something like this...
    The MBT dev doesn't seem to be very active, updating once every generation even when things are broken like 980 Ti voltage adjustment... (currently requires hex editor to fully change so it won't throttle)

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Timings has less impact than frequencies. One must calculate benefits to choose between these two. Also wrong timings can prevent videocard from working.

8. ColdFlo

ColdFlo Banned

GPU:
    Yeah faster ram speed used to be better in system ram situations but now it doesnt really matter as much as all late model intels really have too much ram bandwidth anyway. You can run a quad channel i7 in dual channel and still run every game there is. Im not interested in clocking the ram because what dies on a card first is the ram(but by then your probably gaming on a newer card anyway but I keep all my old cards and they all still work too bad mobos dont last like that). I just want faster more responsive gpus(it also puts you a step or 2(fractions?) ahead of the competition in fps games and tweaking gddr ram timings doesnt seem to shorten the ram life like it does system ram. My 8800gtx SLI I tightened every timing in NiBiTor(not just the ones with fields in the gui but all the registers in the whole timingset takes awhile finding all the lowest timings before the freeze but you get it eventually and then tracking freezes in longer gaming sessions) and they still run fine and there was less latency(gddr is actually very loose from the factory for stock speeds EXTREMELY LOOSE and that was ddr3 now with ddr5 im sure they are ULTRA LOOSE). Also SLI adds lag and I would like to cut down on that as well as well as the fact that these days you really have to prerender 4 frames to get the juice out of your cards back in the day you could run 0 frames and still get good FPS cause the games were allot lighter. Also being able to loosen the timings would allow u to get the most performance but I'm not interested in shortening product life... I just want low latency.

Mavke from mvktech also tightened timings rather than clock the vram higher..... maybe those with experience know what they are talking about.... :) google mavke or check out mvktech on waybackmachine. Totally blew GURU3D out of the water... I'm sure that might sound ridiculous to your generation,,, but its true. :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  9. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    On, the Vram voltage, at least with last few gen's the cards that did support it like MSI higher end ones(lightening, PE etc) had to add a voltage regulator over stock one. So I doubt you can adjust it or they would of done just that.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    According to specification GTX980 has memory bandwidth 224 GB/s, and revision 3 of PCI-E has bandwidth 15.754 GB/s on 16 lanes.

So revision 4 of PCI-E will have bandwidth 31.508 GB/s on 16 lanes. You may tight timings to the roof (floor ?) but when GPU is talking with CPU and reads system RAM it will be limitted by PCI-E bus.

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    With GDDR5 is just like DDR4 when you compare speed and timings . In old days of Sdram, Cas started as low as 3 and timings meant everything , but with each version of memory the timings started to mean less after DDR2 ,unless you loosen them up a lot .

Getting back to modifying it in bios, it probably wouldn't be to hard, as few manufactures have specific bios for memory types, which most likely is timing adjustments for each memory manufacture .
    So a simple comparison between both should show rough area of bios .

12. ColdFlo

ColdFlo Banned

GPU:
    EdKiefer and mbk1969 you are making parallels that dont exist and obviously you never used Nibitor the Ram bus is between the gpu and ram only it is not limited by the PCI bus lol its pretty funny you spent all that time making that comparison for nothing. Edkiefer your statements about ddr2 and timings not meaning anything are also ridiculous. One thing your posts prove.... you have no experience. I do therefore what I say matters and what you say doesnt. Look here 20 year old boys you will never win against me and you will learn not to try to embarass me because it is impossible for me to make a mistake or lose. Get some respect.

Ram always has timings and the registers are in the bios to claim that because your favorite tweak tool(when u take this stance ur just stucking the developer of your favorite tweak tool and because he didnt open the ram timing registers means he failed and hes not the genius that you think ur sucking) doesnt give you access then its impossible or unnecessary to have access is ridiculous. You guys need to think before you speak and stop attacking someone who brings up something you dont realize. You arent that bright or experienced and maybe someone who does bring up something you dont know is...... Look dont get insulting unless you expect to see it thrown back in your face. I don't make a post for no reason and obviously it has stumped you.... you arent god obviously or you would know the answer. Stop being a forum lifer and attacking when u get stumped.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  13. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    Your the only one attacking , no where do I disagree with what you said, more that with faster ram the timings mean less (this is proven).
    BTW I am 58 yr old boy :)
    Not sure what you expect , you'll have to get good with hex editor I guess and try it .

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    And I only meant in my previous post that you can tweak RAM on the videocard, and it will boost performance of internal videocard operations (GPU <=> VRAM). But when new portion of data (textures, shaders, whatever) is loaded to videocard through PCI-E bus, that loading process will be much slower comparing to internal videocard operations. And videocard will wait for the ending of such loading, and most probably user will notice that in game.

15. ColdFlo

ColdFlo Banned

GPU:
    Look, I finally decided after beating Far Cry Primal(this childs game rapes Witcher 3 in its ******* actual pc game not a controller console port) that maybe Witcher 3 had good open world graphics too so I bought it for 10 dollars and then it turns out to be a homosexual console port for fawning guru3d forum lifers that want to suck off a mideval hoity richboy(far too much attentiveness to his facial expressions and hair rendering) version of solid snake(the opening scene about made me puke I was sure it was going to be another scene like the crying game). Feel like I wasted my money. I'm quickly losing all respect for this forum and the ridiculous attacks are just the icing on the cake. You guys have no taste in tweaks, games, or political ideology. These things were all superior in the past and reading the brainwashed drivel of this forum I'm probably about done with.

Ed vram is way looser than system ram and timings do matter thats why when a new ram version comes out its often slower at first because the timings are too slow compared to the new frequency. Like when ddr2 came out it was worse until the later faster ddr2 came out same thing with ddr3 and now ddr4 but vram doesnt even have to do with CAS(all the timing registers are row timing registers for some reason) and overclocking vram will reduce the life of the card as the ram is usually the first thing to die but with more recent vram this doesnt happen with tightening the timings and like I said they are very loose. If your an old guy you probably got old cards take one of your old cards throw it on xp upload nibitor and play with the timing registers and see what happens. Then you will have experience and see for yourself what im talking about. In the end all that matters is experience.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Nv driver controls these since idk a loong time..

Every time you update the driver and your old OC doesnt work anymore its because they changed internal driver latency.

17. CrazyBaldhead

CrazyBaldhead Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    You're just the gift that keeps on giving. Another magnificent quote for my ColdFlo quote-collection text file. Please don't leave, you make for great entertainment.

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Been there, done that... I had enough of tweaking, binary editing and other cracking activities in DOS era. Also being a professional programmer I have enough of challenges at work. So I will just play games at home. Good luck with that hobby.
    As for this forum, it seems to me that it has less and less technical threads gradually.