Old radeon HD 7850 OC stuck @ 150MHz with MSI AB

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section' started by Tsiphon, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Tsiphon

Tsiphon Member

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce 6800 128 mb
    So I haven't been gaming much lately at all. Nothing graphics intensive. I threw a more recent game on to see if my PC would still play things and was surprised at a 9 fps on all low setting regardless of resolution.

I opened up MSI afterburner and my OC was still running, but for some reason my GPU usage was 100% while mem clock and core clock were a flat 150 MHz.

I have tried the following, each of which results in still having my rates locked at 150mhz:

1. Updated drivers to the latest (18.2.2) after cleaning with DDU in safe mode.

Uninstalled and reinstalled MSI after adjusting and resetting.

3. Reverting my OC to stock

4. Switching dual monitor mode to single monitor mode via Windows Display Options

5. I uninstalled AMD driver / settings > Safe mode boot > DDU clean > uninstall MSI AB > Startup and reinstall AMD driver only.

GPU-Z shows normal stock clocks, and the clocks perform as normally (idle 300 / 1200, load 860 / 1200).

Install MSI (it default loads my prior OC at 1125 / 1475). GPU-Z shows these clocks in the details page, but sensors indicate they are running 150 / 150 regardless of load.

Reset button on MSI and load into stock rates manually on MSI. Still locked at 150 / 150.

So the issue has to be MSI AB. I can't imagine my OC suddenly goes bad after over a year stable, and the card runs fine on stock. Also this MSI glitch where upon returning to stock settings it still has it locked leads me to believe this is a correctable issue in MSI.

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7580 Double D FX-785A-CDFC. 2 GB DDR5. Core Clock: 1125, Mem Clock: 1475
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 9300 OC
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4
    RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500), if required I can get OC from bios.
    PSU: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-1000HX 1000W
    GPU Drivers: 18.2.2
    Background Applications: MSI AB, MalwareBytes, Creative Volume Panel,

2. iakoboss7

iakoboss7 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480
    then dont install msi... overclock through wattman

3. Tomatone

Tomatone Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 270
    Maybe this is answer for your "problem":

4. Tsiphon

Tsiphon Member

GPU:
    eVGA e-GeForce 6800 128 mb
    I honestly couldn't figure out how to open up wattman. After installing the newest driver suite and going to where I thought it was located there was no options for overclocking.

I just cleaned up and rolled back to 17.7.1 and everything works fine now. My OC I believe is outside the "official OC limits," so I don't think I could OC in wattman anyways.

Thanks for the help guys.

iakoboss7 likes this.