ok! i'm fed up of people telling me to....

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ice_chiney, Feb 7, 2008.

1. ice_chiney

ice_chiney Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual 690s
    not go SLi with 2 BFG 8800GTS g92 OC edition..i alrdy bought one..but!! i goin to buy the other mid feb...wat shud i do with that $320...jus get another rig? ( waz thinking a 5000+ and a good AMD board ) and just use the for everyday use and leave the gaming rig for games...

my cpu is the e8400( plan on gettin at least 4ghz from it ) and the board is my striker extreme!

wat are your thought.. and be rough!!

:biggun:

2. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Don't go SLI yet, wait for 9xxxx to come out. You should be fine right now with one GTS 512 Mb, unless you want a huge ass resolution, you don't need to go SLI

3. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    Why make another thread if you are tired of people telling you what you don't want to hear?
    If you want SLI then just do it. You said be rough, well okay this is a stupid thread. :) How's that?

4. scottyg2

scottyg2 Master Guru

GPU:
    hd4850 cf
    my advice: save it.
    dont buy another computer just for "every day use" thats a very big waste of money.

5. Surfy

Surfy Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX1070 Strix
    TRUE DAT!:approval:

6. eynmyn

eynmyn Master Guru

yawn

If your not planing to play 2056x1600 resoloution dont sli is that so f hard to understand.anyway unless you plan on upgrading aging when the next wave of take your money cards come out and will have the gzzzzzzzzzzz save that 3 bill.:biggun:

7. Scythe

Scythe Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Rx 480 Strix 08G
    How about saving the money towards a car or something more worthwhile!:3eyes:

8. ice_chiney

ice_chiney Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual 690s
    ^^ now dat is some good advice!

9. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Maybe a piece of, well, you know..... :eek:

10. Scythe

Scythe Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Rx 480 Strix 08G
    Lol :banana:

11. Smellybumlove

Smellybumlove Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD4830x2 crossfire
    got a similar setup to yours and i have a hidef 24'' acer monitor and i can run crysis with everything maxed out (no aa or af) at 1440x900 or 1920x1200 with shadows turned down and it runs great with latest drivers.
    i would only recommend sli if your rich and run 1920x1200 res or higher.

12. ice_chiney

ice_chiney Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual 690s
    your gts oced?

13. desertjedi

desertjedi Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260
    Okay, SLI/Crossfire blows! It's got to be one of the dumbest ideas in PC hardware to come along in a long time. Does it scale perfectly? i.e. does your performance double when you add a second card? Then why are you paying double? Does it work perfectly in every game? Again, then why are you wasting money? To grow your e-penis?

And another kick in the ass...how has driver support been for supporting SLI in every game? Ouch! SLI doesn't work in game A, switch drivers. Oops, now SLI is broken in game B.

Why in the name of God have these companies not gone to multi-gpu (on a single card) architectures earlier?

My friend's got two GTXs in SLI and he tells me it turns his rig into a friggin furnace (even exhausting out the back) requiring extra fans and setting his GTX fans to "leaf blower". And when he games he can feel his right foot warm up from the "video card exhaust". How nuts is that?

There...was I rough enough? :)

14. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ I totally see where you're coming from.. I have an SLI board but with the way that performance suffers when you double, and now tripple a card, it just doesn't make sense.

I mean, I look at it this way.

1 gtx @ stock - 12000+ Pts in 3DMark06
    2 GTX @ Stock - 14000+ Pts
    3 GTX @ Stock - 16000+ Pts
    which would mean you are paying an extra $400 just for 2000+ points in 3dmark. Sure performance in game will be better, but with the lack of proper drivers and the fact that they cannot even get over 50% better performance for a whole second card is just a a joke.

Everytime I think about those numbers I laugh, because it really is such a scam.

I tested 3x 8800 Ultras yesterday using a 780i board with a 3.5ghz Q6850 and it scored 17077. With the cpu at stock 3ghz, it only got 15353. Yes, 3 Ultras in SLI.

I can hit 13K + with my single GTX overclocked and Conroe cpu @ 3.2. That alone makes the SLI numbers look absoluetly dismal, and the amount of power that you consume for those cards, and heat that is output.. well, it all boils down to one thing..

SCAM

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  15. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Use the 320.00 dollars and purchase private tutor lessons in english.

16. desertjedi

desertjedi Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260
    That's cold!

17. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    That wouldn't be much different than the way SLI works now with two cards :banana:

18. desertjedi

desertjedi Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260
    Except that it would probably generate less heat, require less power, require less space, require no special mainboards and might even be more efficient. And it would be cheaper.

But you're right - even with two gpus on one card I'm assuming they're still running in SLI which means it will probably have the same problems as two separate cards running in SLI.

19. Knighthawk1234

Knighthawk1234 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI8800 GTS 640mb
    SLI is Crap. Wait till they come out with duel core GPU's....Oh wait, that will be crap too because noone will code for it.

20. biglonglenthman

biglonglenthman Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Extreme 8800GTX 621/2160
    i think its safe to say that nV and ATi should really put there money in drivers/and or better SLi performance.
    Or just 100% scrap SLi (Crossfire) and buy into multi GPU on a single chip, like dual core :) that would be so much cooler and better.

And then after the software caught up a bit we wouldnt need 1KW PSU's to run 3 GFX cards so really everyones a winner lol