Official - XBOX360 vs PS3 vs Wii vs PC talk goes here

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by zhackore, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    I was 1 of the BIG PC lover and CONSOLE hater until i get my hands on MY OWN PS2..now my oppinion is

CONSOLE defeats PC in the ENTERTAINMENT DIVISION. NO DOUBT.. But PC is good for all other activities(internet, programming, creative stuff etcc...)

But winnmer of teh entertainment cup is CONSOLE.

i cant comment on Xbox360 and PS3 because i never owned 1 of them :(

2. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    That's like saying the sun will rise tomorrow and the sky is blue. Your point?

Of course PCs are always going to rise above consoles...graphically. What about actual games and game genres though?

If you take graphics completely out of the picture, the PC is really only the best choice for people who are MMORPG or multiplayer FPS fanatics. Other than maybe Oblivion (which happens to also be available on the 360), there wasn't a single game in 2006 outside of the FPS and MMORPG realms that was really worth playing IMHO.

Thus far, consoles have seen a much larger and more diverse palette of games and gaming styles to choose from than the PC. For example, you'd never see a game like Okami or Zelda on the PC. Also, due to the inherent nature of consoles and console gaming, it's highly likely that certain games (or game franchises) would never have even been created/established, such as the GTA, FF, Resident Evil, MGS, and God of War just to name a few.

Bottomline: If your main concern is graphical superiority and you are heavily into MMORGPs and/or mutliplayer FPSs, then I say go for a PC all the way. However, if you like to have a broader range of gaming types to choose from, and don't care about getting 80fps in FEAR with all of the bells and whistles turned on, then a console is definitely the better choice in my opinion.

BTW, I do own a PC and in fact do play online MMORPGs as well as multiplayer FPSs like CSS and HL2_DM. I'm just trying to make a point. I was severly disappointed in the choices offered or rather lack thereof for PC gamers in 2006 vs. what was offered in the console arena. Ideally, everyone could have 'em all, but most people simply can't afford that luxury.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  3. thecake90

thecake90 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060GTX
    Which one out of these platforms(PC Xbox360 Wii PS3) have more games??

4. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    Which has more games?...errr, that'd probably be the PC as it's been around for quite a bit longer (to say the least) than the other platforms. Next would obviously be the 360.

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Ok here is an example. i was thinking to post it as another thread but here it comes:

i played Splinter Cell :Double Agent Last night @ my PS2...As i see and read on net it has some different story parts from the PC version...My importantly i was playing game without bugs and performance issues..game idnt forced me to change drivers or hardware.i just put the DVD and played..and guess what i had much more FUN times than the PC version. ok lets think that i have the most powerful PC in the world. and i started to play, Visuals r ok but still i dont think the PC version of the game give that SOLID game play feeling of the CONSOLE, PS2. I am crying to days which i didnt have my PS2.i wish i bought it before :(

But here also i cant deny that PC is the winner of all other functions. And also FPS winner is still PC. But u know? FPS on CONSOLE is more challanging :D

6. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    there are just some things i have to point out with that statement. yes, PC's are good for MMORPG and FPS fans..... but let's face it...... you see a kiloton more FPS's on consoles than on PC's.... at least being released in relatively short amounts of time. look at with the 360.... we had Gears of War and Lost Planet release within what.... 2 months of each-other? and there's Halo 3 coming up kinda quick? If you want to break it down into which game genre is on which platform.... i think it'd be like this:

PC: MMORPG, FPS, RTS
    console: FPS, sports, racing, fighters

You might see the occasional RPG on a console.... but half the time they don't pull it off too well, since it's kinda hard to play an RPG that's usually accustomed to the "point-and-click" attack scheme with a control stick. Probably the main reason you damn near never see an RTS on a console. same goes for racing, sports, and fighting games on a PC. yeah... it's technically possible.... but where's the fun in it? those types of games are usually played against your buddies so you can rub their faces in it when you beat the living hell out of them. Hard to do that if you're all huddled around a computer monitor playing off of a keyboard.

Wii, however, opened up the doors to it's possible choice of genre's... since it HAS the control stick for movement, and it HAS the point-and-click (or in this case, "aim-and-click") for selecting targets/troops for MMORPG's/RTS's. I honestly can't wait to see what kinds of interesting games we see for Wii once developers really start to test the limits of the controls. The Godfather: Blackhand Edition looks pretty damn sweet.

And.... to those who have a Wii and like it, or like the way the Wii's controls are, but don't own one yet..... Is anyone else kinda hoping and praying that they decide to try to make a mech fighter for Wii where you use the remote and nunchuck as if they were two control levers..... kinda like the old Virtual ON arcade system? i honestly think that'd rock. tilt them both forward to move forward, both back to move back........ the left one forward and right one back to turn to the right...... tilt them both out to the sides to jump, towards the middle to crouch..... god i hate my imagination. lol.

7. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    Right, you make some good points. There have been a lot of FPSs, and very good ones, coming out for consoles lately at quite a rapid pace. Also, RTS is a genre that the PC platform is undoubtedly much more geared for over consoles.

I think you're breakdown is pretty good:
    But breakdowns aside, I would say or rather the general point I was trying to make is the PC offers superior graphics but trails far behind consoles when it comes to diversity. Also, as Mr. Bigtime touched upon, consoles are more or less just "plug n play" due to their unified architecture, whereas with PCs you have to worry about instability issues, driver maintenance, etc.

Looking towards the future, I do expect Vista with DX10 to start blurring the line between consoles and PCs somewhat. Not only in terms of stability and efficiency, but diversity as well. However, as far as Vista w/ DX10 being a real viable platform, that's not really going to "take-off" until sometime late in 2008, especially considering Vista still needs quite a bit of time to mature and more importantly establish a base. Also, there is the fact that no DX10 games will even be released for another 3 to 4 mos. But when Vista w/ DX10 comes around, it's going to be somewhat of a revolutionary time for PC gamers IMO.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  8. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 2070
    i actually just got my free copy of Vista Business.... thinkin about installing it... just don't know if i'd want to install it as my main OS, or keep it as a dual-boot system like i have now with the RTM of Ultimate.

9. orenda635

orenda635 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600GS 256mb / Radeon 9550 32mb
    Ok, so if we can let loose, here's my choice.

PC. With out a doubt the undeniable champion. Some say it's expensive, but the 360 and PS3 aren't exactly cheap. PC is endlessly modifiable which means no waiting for up to four years for the next best thing. PCs are also way more versatile. My PC can play games watch movies, edit photos, email, IM, write essays, edit movies, compose music, balance my cheque book, and surf the web. I've yet to see a console that can do all that. Based on that, they're actually more economical.

All modern PC games are in HD, whether it's in 16:10 or 4:3 format. Hardware accelerated surround sound right out of the box thanks to X-FI and OpenAL. No need for expensive home theater setups to get full 5.1.
    I can tweak my PC by overclocking my CPU, memory, and GPU for even more performance.

The only downside to PC gaming is the general lack of certain genres. We're pretty much stuck with MMORPG, FPS, and RTS games

10. ProfBP

ProfBP Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX
    PCs do awesome in some arenas! You WILL NOT find a decent simulator on a consol. PERIOD! Then there is also the versitility of a PC which pretty much everyone can agree on.

Now where COnsols are nice is the fact that, yeah while PCs will always have the lastesty cutting edge games and technology, but you need to upgrade like crazy to be able to stay with it. At least with a Consol you can go afew years without ever having to mess with it. Which also means that for the most part the games you buy will run well, unlike a PC. Also updates are relitivly painless. To be honest I also just like the plug and play of a consol, and PCs you don't have that because if your like me, your always tinkering around with it!:rolleyes:

11. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I think us pc gamers sometimes make pc gaming more complicated than it has to be(the tinkering). I think it stems from people wanting to squeeze every last drop of performance out of a machine tbh. Most of the probs I've had is from me tinkering with crap(mostly software wise) trying to optimize stuff that most of the time shows little improvement. Oh well, I'm cursed with the pc gamers burden. :frown: :bolt:

12. willvx

willvx Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX 640/1880
    Oh man, you are preaching to the choir here brother. :rolleyes: Why do we do that? Sometimes I think us "PC enthusiasts" or "gear-heads" are just a little bit masochistic. Seriously though, that's actually another thing I really like about consoles vs. PCs, because WYSIWYG...I don't have to fret over not getting 60fps with AAx4/AFx16 and everything maxed out, and then spending hours (and often $$$) trying to achieve it.

I've spent more time tinkering with my PC (or incarnations thereof) over the years than I even want to admit...seriously. Don't even get me started on Oblivion and tweaking it's damn .ini file for that extra 8 or so fps...ARRRGGGHHH!!! I probably spent more time messing with that than playing the actually game, or at least 50/50. Oh, the raw hands...the raw, bleeding hands and bloodshot eyes. LOL

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  13. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Lol, I think I've spent about 75/25 with the 75% tweaking in Oblivion. Why did they have to make a game so stressful on systems and give us the ability to tweak the hell out of it? My oblivion is so modded and tweaked I don't think you can really call it oblivion anymore lol

14. ebucemag

ebucemag Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD 7850 2GB Crossfire
    I find tweaking my PC and getting every last drop of performance fun....but randomly after messing around with something I just think WTF am I doing....I am wasting my time trying to bear little fruit, while after I test what I have done its actually decremental to the overall performance and stability. At the end of the day, I really can't go back to consoles because I feel as if I am losing that control of what I own...I need that control ;)
    I play game majority of the time probably 80/20....not to bad ;)